Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don’t watch TV myself last time I did most of the nature channels had become reality TV. And what schools teaches that animals can be dangerous?
Science classes teach a lot about animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Everybody else was doing it!

When you go in the entrance gates, they give you a warning sheet that says to stay back away from the buffalo specifically because they will charge. And they tell you verbally how far back to stay from the wild animals with a hand-out. There is absolutely no excuse to be ignorant of the dangers.
I’m not excusing it. I’m just saying people screwup and there are reasons that this screwup happened and one of which was there was a large crowd of people doing it and they didn’t know any better. I’m not excusing it, I just don’t think they are the worst parent that ever walked the face of the earth and I don’t think they’re imbeciles or any of the other harsh things that people are calling them. They just made I’ll-informed decisions. I don’t think one poor decision even one that ended up being dangerous defines a decade of parenting. They may be wonderful parents who made an error in judgement.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:43 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Science classes teach a lot about animals.
My feeling is that you're just being stubborn when people talk about a Disney/Hollywood connection. While some schools obviously do teach that wild animals can be dangerous; I think you might have a hard time finding those teachers and courses. People did buy into 'walk and talk with the animals'. It is just like this case where the three year old was lost in the woods: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-kept-him-safe. It made national headlines because so many people wanted to believe that bears are our friends. Chances are the kid only imagined the bear.

When we made that trip to Yellowstone there were many people and groups of people that wanted to get closer to the bison as well as close to the elk. Both can be dangerous. Plus we have many people that have bought into 'selfies' and of course they want their pictures with wild animals. Disney and Hollywood do share some of the blame because they are 'teachers' just like real teachers in school. If kids binge watch these programs they want to also share the love and it can go so wrong.

Yellowstone has signs all over the place; but some will always push their luck. The one takeback we had from a big trip to many of the Western Parks was that we were the ones responsible for our own safety. Possibly it changed? But they did not have railings, guardrails, or a lot of warning signs on their roads and in dangerous locations like the Grand Canyon. One could stand on the edge and look a mile down and we watched many families push their luck to the limit. If you drive through Yosemite there is nothing preventing rocks from falling on your vehicle or to keep you from plummeting a long way down. Back East we put up guardrails and all kinds of warning signs + we have to have railings protecting everybody from everything. Out West the areas are simply too large to protect everybody from everything.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
"I believe I can fly...!"

Old 08-05-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My feeling is that you're just being stubborn when people talk about a Disney/Hollywood connection. While some schools obviously do teach that wild animals can be dangerous; I think you might have a hard time finding those teachers and courses. People did buy into 'walk and talk with the animals'. It is just like this case where the three year old was lost in the woods: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-kept-him-safe. It made national headlines because so many people wanted to believe that bears are our friends. Chances are the kid only imagined the bear.

When we made that trip to Yellowstone there were many people and groups of people that wanted to get closer to the bison as well as close to the elk. Both can be dangerous. Plus we have many people that have bought into 'selfies' and of course they want their pictures with wild animals. Disney and Hollywood do share some of the blame because they are 'teachers' just like real teachers in school. If kids binge watch these programs they want to also share the love and it can go so wrong.

Yellowstone has signs all over the place; but some will always push their luck. The one takeback we had from a big trip to many of the Western Parks was that we were the ones responsible for our own safety. Possibly it changed? But they did not have railings, guardrails, or a lot of warning signs on their roads and in dangerous locations like the Grand Canyon. One could stand on the edge and look a mile down and we watched many families push their luck to the limit. If you drive through Yosemite there is nothing preventing rocks from falling on your vehicle or to keep you from plummeting a long way down. Back East we put up guardrails and all kinds of warning signs + we have to have railings protecting everybody from everything. Out West the areas are simply too large to protect everybody from everything.
I’m sorry, I just find it a ridiculous assertion. I think the assumption that a bison might tame is much more likely to be due to their resemblance to other farm animals such as cows, as it was just grazing, and people making assumptions based on that.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I’m sorry, I just find it a ridiculous assertion. I think the assumption that a bison might tame is much more likely to be due to their resemblance to other farm animals such as cows, as it was just grazing, and people making assumptions based on that.
The animals are not the only way to die at Yellowstone: https://www.yellowstonepark.com/thin...autionary-tale. The hot spring pools have claimed lives over the years. They look so inviting but the are hot and very acidic. It only takes seconds in one of these alluring pools to kill most people.

I really don't think people look at bison and think cow. Even if they did think cow; cows are more dangerous than sharks. While one might picture domesticated cows as no problem; cows can kick, gore and kill: https://curiosity.com/topics/cows-ki...e-than-sharks/. So even our image of cows has been distorted by TV and their advertisers.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:30 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
People did buy into 'walk and talk with the animals'. It is just like this case where the three year old was lost in the woods: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-kept-him-safe. It made national headlines because so many people wanted to believe that bears are our friends. Chances are the kid only imagined the bear.
Yeah, there's no fricking way a "friendly" bear "kept him safe."

Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
The animals are not the only way to die at Yellowstone: https://www.yellowstonepark.com/thin...autionary-tale. The hot spring pools have claimed lives over the years. They look so inviting but the are hot and very acidic. It only takes seconds in one of these alluring pools to kill most people.

I really don't think people look at bison and think cow. Even if they did think cow; cows are more dangerous than sharks. While one might picture domesticated cows as no problem; cows can kick, gore and kill: https://curiosity.com/topics/cows-ki...e-than-sharks/. So even our image of cows has been distorted by TV and their advertisers.
My point was only that I think people get their impression of these animals from other things aside from Disney movies. I don’t think Disney movies has a thing to do with it.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
My point was only that I think people get their impression of these animals from other things aside from Disney movies. I don’t think Disney movies has a thing to do with it.
We have heard your arguments and it is just that many of us disagree. Perhaps this is a subject that we will never reach a consensus.

While I am sure there are teachers that point out the dangers of wild animals; there are some kids that will not listen. Some run home to see Dr. Dolittle for the 400th time. They cannot wait to see their favorite TV program or movie after school and they memorized every word and song. If you ask them what they studied in school that day they shrug their shoulders. So, when they do meet a wild animal; what lessons do you think they will remember? It is like the three year old in NC that thought he was saved by bears; animals are our friends.

That is the culture today. We try to de-vilify all wildlife. We have divers diving with man-eating sharks to 'prove' that they are not always the 'bad guy'. Some people have lived with the bears to prove how harmless they are and eventually lost their lives. When a pet kills its owner many worry more about what happened to the pet than the dead owner.

I am not trying to vilify wild animals; they do have the right to survive. They are also one of the key attractions at Yellowstone. It is one of the great Parks where we can see animals in the wild. That said; we have to give them space to do what they naturally do in the wild. If our perceptions are erroneous or inaccurate; then we can be headed for trouble.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
We have heard your arguments and it is just that many of us disagree. Perhaps this is a subject that we will never reach a consensus.

While I am sure there are teachers that point out the dangers of wild animals; there are some kids that will not listen. Some run home to see Dr. Dolittle for the 400th time. They cannot wait to see their favorite TV program or movie after school and they memorized every word and song. If you ask them what they studied in school that day they shrug their shoulders. So, when they do meet a wild animal; what lessons do you think they will remember? It is like the three year old in NC that thought he was saved by bears; animals are our friends.

That is the culture today. We try to de-vilify all wildlife. We have divers diving with man-eating sharks to 'prove' that they are not always the 'bad guy'. Some people have lived with the bears to prove how harmless they are and eventually lost their lives. When a pet kills its owner many worry more about what happened to the pet than the dead owner.

I am not trying to vilify wild animals; they do have the right to survive. They are also one of the key attractions at Yellowstone. It is one of the great Parks where we can see animals in the wild. That said; we have to give them space to do what they naturally do in the wild. If our perceptions are erroneous or inaccurate; then we can be headed for trouble.
Seriously? You actually believe that adult human beings of sound mind and even minimal education cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality?

Do you have any documented reports, or even anecdotes, from people who have been harmed by animals in National Parks that claim they believed no animals represent a danger to humans because of fantasies they have seen on television?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events