Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 11:54 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Maybe they are 'safe' but swimming in the thermal pools is not permitted in Yellowstone: https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/safety.htm.
They are safe, not "safe". There are a lot of hot springs and thermal pools in Yellowstone park that are totally safe to bathe in. There are also a lot that are toxic. Reference: https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-Years-Search-American-Wilderness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:09 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Dude, cats don't try to "save people". Animals don't have human emotions.
Have been many true stories of animal saving people, from dogs to dolphins to a cat that attacked and scared a dog away from biting a little boy in their own driveway I saw the video myself. Emotions may not be identical to ours, but they certainly have a emotions and are certainly bonded with their owners and I believe they love their owners. Any case, I never said I believed them. It was in response to a poster who said “ask SigFried and Roy how dangerous wild animals can be” and I was simply pointed out that they would state the cat was not dangerous if you asked them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JRhV8Y...has_verified=1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-49rGeCeVo

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-08-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 12:14 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Have been many true stories of animal saving people, from dogs to dolphins to a cat that attacked and scared a dog away from biting a little boy in their own driveway I saw the video myself. Emotions may not be identical to ours, but they certainly have a emotions and are certainly bonded with their owners and I believe they love their owners.

For once I agree with you about something.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Probably, they are, because for the most part it's true. Bison have almost been hunted to extinction by humans.
Tourists who go to Yellowstone aren't carrying hunting rifles. This lack of hunting rifles puts them farther lower on the food chain than if they were.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Have been many true stories of animal saving people, from dogs to dolphins
Dolphins have brains the size of human brains, which puts their intelligence on par with ours. That said, they still share very little in terms of human emotion.
Other animals, any commonality with human emotion is even less. The only reason your cat doesn't eat you is because it's too small to kill you.
Quote:
to a cat that attacked and scared a dog away from biting a little boy in their own driveway I saw the video
Remove the boy from that equation, and the cat would behave exactly the same - it would still chase the dog away. The cat's motive is not to "save" the boy, the motive is to remove an antagonistic predator.

Quote:
“ask SigFried and Roy how dangerous wild animals can be” and I was simply pointed out that they would state the cat was not dangerous if you asked them.
Large cats are even more unpredictable and likely to turn on you - even if you have raised them in a domestic environment.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:14 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Have been many true stories of animal saving people, from dogs to dolphins to a cat that attacked and scared a dog away from biting a little boy in their own driveway I saw the video myself. Emotions may not be identical to ours, but they certainly have a emotions and are certainly bonded with their owners and I believe they love their owners. Any case, I never said I believed them. It was in response to a poster who said “ask SigFried and Roy how dangerous wild animals can be” and I was simply pointed out that they would state the cat was not dangerous if you asked them.

I saw the same "cat" video. But he was not talking about Fluffy the family pet. "Cat" is a short term we often use for mountain lions, and bobbies as well, herebouts. And such critters as those will not do anything to save a human from anything.

Do they have emotions? I believe they certainly do. However they are not exposed to people daily. Their emotions are far more...practical. Life and death for a wild animal are the same things. Mother animals will grieve the loss of their young and such. That is not unusual. But for the most part their emotions are geared to survival.

Highly intelligent (some say sentient) animals like dolphins and great apes have been known to help humans in the wild. But cats, as in REAL cats have never done so to my knowledge. As to your last sentences. They perhaps would say the animal in questions is not "dangerous." But they are speaking of temperament and socialization with humans. "Not dangerous" is rather erroneous. Such an animal is VERY dangerous. Equipped by nature to kill. Teeth claws and powerful muscles.

Those weapons are there and the cat can use them and just might. Thus "not dangerous" and "friendly" need to be separated. The animal is always "dangerous."

Old 08-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Dolphins have brains the size of human brains, which puts their intelligence on par with ours. That said, they still share very little in terms of human emotion.
Other animals, any commonality with human emotion is even less. The only reason your cat doesn't eat you is because it's too small to kill you.
Remove the boy from that equation, and the cat would behave exactly the same - it would still chase the dog away. The cat's motive is not to "save" the boy, the motive is to remove an antagonistic predator.

Large cats are even more unpredictable and likely to turn on you - even if you have raised them in a domestic environment.
About your second part, the story about the cat. I don’t believe that. The cat would’ve run if the little boy hadn’t been there. That cat was saving the little boy deliberately.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I saw the same "cat" video. But he was not talking about Fluffy the family pet. "Cat" is a short term we often use for mountain lions, and bobbies as well, herebouts. And such critters as those will not do anything to save a human from anything.

Do they have emotions? I believe they certainly do. However they are not exposed to people daily. Their emotions are far more...practical. Life and death for a wild animal are the same things. Mother animals will grieve the loss of their young and such. That is not unusual. But for the most part their emotions are geared to survival.

Highly intelligent (some say sentient) animals like dolphins and great apes have been known to help humans in the wild. But cats, as in REAL cats have never done so to my knowledge. As to your last sentences. They perhaps would say the animal in questions is not "dangerous." But they are speaking of temperament and socialization with humans. "Not dangerous" is rather erroneous. Such an animal is VERY dangerous. Equipped by nature to kill. Teeth claws and powerful muscles.

Those weapons are there and the cat can use them and just might. Thus "not dangerous" and "friendly" need to be separated. The animal is always "dangerous."
My only point about the big cats, was that both Siegfried and Roy are convinced that the cat did not attack him but was saving him. I didn’t say anything about whether I believed it was true or not just that they believe it.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:15 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Default Yet again!!!

Yellowstone officials warn visitors not to approach bison after man tries to pet one.

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — A man reaches over a railing to pet a bison on the head in yet another example of dangerous behavior by visitors to Yellowstone National Park.

A video shows the bison stepped away from the man standing on a crowded boardwalk near a thermal area. Nobody was hurt but Yellowstone officials warned Wednesday the outcome could have been different if the animal had charged.

Similar incidents happen several times a year, sometimes with harmful results. Bison injure a handful of people in Yellowstone every year on average.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...on/1952959001/

I wish the Bison would of gored his arse.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yellowstone officials warn visitors not to approach bison after man tries to pet one.

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — A man reaches over a railing to pet a bison on the head in yet another example of dangerous behavior by visitors to Yellowstone National Park.

A video shows the bison stepped away from the man standing on a crowded boardwalk near a thermal area. Nobody was hurt but Yellowstone officials warned Wednesday the outcome could have been different if the animal had charged.

Similar incidents happen several times a year, sometimes with harmful results. Bison injure a handful of people in Yellowstone every year on average.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...on/1952959001/

I wish the Bison would of gored his arse.
I wish the buffalo would have ate him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events