Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 05:42 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yellowstone officials warn visitors not to approach bison after man tries to pet one.

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — A man reaches over a railing to pet a bison on the head in yet another example of dangerous behavior by visitors to Yellowstone National Park.

A video shows the bison stepped away from the man standing on a crowded boardwalk near a thermal area. Nobody was hurt but Yellowstone officials warned Wednesday the outcome could have been different if the animal had charged.

Similar incidents happen several times a year, sometimes with harmful results. Bison injure a handful of people in Yellowstone every year on average.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...on/1952959001/

I wish the Bison would of gored his arse.

One of these days, "Ralphie" is going to snap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 02:32 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times
Quote:
Study the best ways to carry and store food, how to recognize recent bear activity, how to make enough noise to warn bears of your presence, and how to best avoid those areas where you might surprise a bear. There’s plenty of info out there to help you hike, camp, and fish safely in bear country.
Try as you may to avoid encounters, you can't always. Some encounters are complete suprises to both bear and human parties.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:37 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Try as you may to avoid encounters, you can't always. Some encounters are complete suprises to both bear and human parties.
When we go hiking and even more in the spring time my wife’s walking stick has a bell on it and we make sure to talk a little louder. Plus dogs help too.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:42 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think we need a required test for entry to parks with wildlife-

You see a bear cub at the side of the road. He appears to be lost and hungry. Do you
A) Put the cub in your vehicle and take it back to the ranger station?
B) Feed the cub and try to comfort it?
C) Realize this is a prime opportunity for a selfie and grab your camera?
D) Leave the poor cub all alone and notify the park officials at the next opportunity?
E) Look around to see if you can find it's mother?

I would wait in my vehicle (windows up and locked) for a few minutes to see if the mama bear comes. Then I'd call the park officials. If they told me to leave, I'd leave immediately. I would not under any circumstances exit my car. If I couldn't reach the park officials, I'd probably leave in a few minutes, whether or not the cub's mother appeared.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
When we go hiking and even more in the spring time my wife’s walking stick has a bell on it and we make sure to talk a little louder. Plus dogs help too.
That helps, but you have to keep in mind that if you are downwind from the bear it might not hear you or smell you.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
That helps, but you have to keep in mind that if you are downwind from the bear it might not hear you or smell you.
That’s where the dogs come in their hearing is much better then ours.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,285 times
Poor little girl. Probably scared the schit out of her. Sad that the parents just left her behind (if the couple running ahead of her were her parents).

Old 08-21-2019, 07:58 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Poor little girl. Probably scared the schit out of her. Sad that the parents just left her behind (if the couple running ahead of her were her parents).
They weren’t, she had wandered off from them.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM

838 posts, read 554,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Nice somersault, well-executed.
I gave her a 8.5. I had to take points off for not tucking her knees tight enough to chest.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM

Guys I just got back from a backpacking trip in Idaho where I had an encounter with a black bear and her two cubs. No warning, didn't see them in the bushes on the side of the trail. They didn't see me either, they smelled me once I got upwind of them and they freaked out. The cubs went up a tree. The mama stayed on the ground staring at me until my nephew arrived and then she went up the tree. All this about 30 feet from the trail. When you are out in the wildneress you gotta do as much as you can to keep your distance from wildlife. Avoid bothering them. Don't give them any reason to bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events