Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 06:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times

Advertisements

I have seen it happen. They take a picture of your face, so for those that do it and end up getting caught, it will be bad. Although, the lost merchandise from the few people who shoplift is probably less than the salary they save on having less staff.

I think they may get more “skimming” rather than outright shoplifting. Where a person may “fake scan” a few items (swipe it but not scan the barcode), so to the camera it looks like you’ve scanned your item even though you haven’t. If they legitimately scan the majority of items but do this for a few, it would be hard to catch them.

You hope that most people are honest. They could solve it by using technology. If an item’s barcode is not scanned, they could make it so that, that triggers an alarm when walking out the store. Although that could also mean more work and inconvenience for the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:31 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The self checkouts around here are mostly for low item customers (15 or less I think), Ive seen people with larger loads trying to use self checkout, but it takes them forever and they are always the people that have lots of problems and need to have the attendant help them numerous times.

I have to assume grocery stores are working at more efficient ways of self checkouts, maybe the type that will permit larger item totals. Ive only seen one type of self checkouts so far though, and thats the type used at Krogers right now.

Has anyone seen another type yet?
People using self check out at my walmart do so with small and large orders. Most with large orders use one of the 3 self check out lanes with a belt like in the picture linked below. Others do it at the regular self check out. I haven't seen too many people have issues with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
https://www.sebastiandaily.com/wp-co...ut-600x381.jpg
I'm not sure how many of these are in our local walmart after the recent update, but at least a few.
We have 3 of these self check out lanes in my store

Old 08-12-2019, 07:35 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
I might actually use these, if I could actually get one to work. As it is, I almost invariably have to call someone over anyway, so I’d rather just go to a real checkout and keep a teenager employed.

Screw these self checkouts.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:56 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have seen it happen. They take a picture of your face, so for those that do it and end up getting caught, it will be bad. Although, the lost merchandise from the few people who shoplift is probably less than the salary they save on having less staff.

I think they may get more “skimming” rather than outright shoplifting. Where a person may “fake scan” a few items (swipe it but not scan the barcode), so to the camera it looks like you’ve scanned your item even though you haven’t. If they legitimately scan the majority of items but do this for a few, it would be hard to catch them.

You hope that most people are honest. They could solve it by using technology. If an item’s barcode is not scanned, they could make it so that, that triggers an alarm when walking out the store. Although that could also mean more work and inconvenience for the store.
In my experience, you can not "fake scan" items. The registers, that I have gone to, will say loudly, please scan previous item, which will bring it to the attention of the person overseeing to registers.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:32 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Although, the lost merchandise from the few people who shoplift is probably less than the salary they save on having less staff.
Last night I had a dump and run when a shoplifter got nervous, she dumped about $150 worth of product before hitting the front doors. I also found another $40-50 worth of empty packaging around the store. This is for just one shift, and it doesn't include whatever was successfully taken with no evidence left behind. We are a small store, imagine the dollar amount shoplifters take at a big box store that does ten times the business we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
In my experience, you can not "fake scan" items. The registers, that I have gone to, will say loudly, please scan previous item, which will bring it to the attention of the person overseeing to registers.
Some of the newer registers in my area no longer weigh the items in the bagging area, so there is no message or alarm telling you to rescan the item because it can't sense that an item has been added to the bag.

I've generally found that on the few occasions I've had problems at uscan, the assigned cashier is helpful and willing to answer questions and fix the problems. It might help that I try to shop during off peak hours.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
A determined thief could sneak light stuff by. Like an envelope of chili spice. And heavier stuff wouldn't be detected if you put it in at the same time as an item that has a weight range like produce that are sold by "each", as the weight can be a 1/4 pound or more difference. Like cukes or avocados or cantaloupe or deli chickens.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:22 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
A determined thief could sneak light stuff by. Like an envelope of chili spice. And heavier stuff wouldn't be detected if you put it in at the same time as an item that has a weight range like produce that are sold by "each", as the weight can be a 1/4 pound or more difference. Like cukes or avocados or cantaloupe or deli chickens.
No, it senses even the slightest change in weight. Even when I buy those little kool-aid packets, it knows when I've put one in my bag. All items in the deli are weighed, and produce are weighed on the scanner after you enter their product code.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:36 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, it senses even the slightest change in weight. Even when I buy those little kool-aid packets, it knows when I've put one in my bag. All items in the deli are weighed, and produce are weighed on the scanner after you enter their product code.
Not in my store, with the produce. When they sell it by "each" instead of weight it doesn't go on the scanner at all. The machine asks how many you have which you punch in, then tells you to place it in your bag.

And the deli chickens sit there in clamshells till someone buys them at Fred Meyer. They are also sold by "each" or by the piece, not by weight. I don't believe they are weighed at my store deli, but even if they are, they are gonna lose a couple ounces as a little steam escapes thru those little vent holes so they have to have a plus or minus built in.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:53 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
Nobody is forcing people to use self checkout. Every store I go to that offers that option also has traditional cashiers available. I use SCO because I do a better, more compact job of packing my groceries than any cashier does, plus I'm not in the mood for chitchat after 8+ hours in a call center.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 PM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Not in my store, with the produce. When they sell it by "each" instead of weight it doesn't go on the scanner at all. The machine asks how many you have which you punch in, then tells you to place it in your bag.

And the deli chickens sit there in clamshells till someone buys them at Fred Meyer. They are also sold by "each" or by the piece, not by weight. I don't believe they are weighed at my store deli, but even if they are, they are gonna lose a couple ounces as a little steam escapes thru those little vent holes so they have to have a plus or minus built in.
I guess different stores have different scanners. My store when you have just one orange, you punch in, 1, but then you still have to place it on the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events