Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:21 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times

Advertisements

The other side of the coin is the payoffs one can have without even buying anything. Before long, we had 9-12 stores which had self serve. You could count on at least 3 times a day, people requesting cash back and forgetting to collect it.

Once I found $160.....I don't know if the customer got it back, I turned it into the cashier that was there.

I was using them and once scanned 1 box of graham crackers and tossed the two I had in at the same time. Machine didn't squeak. I then rerang it right and then asked the cashier if the manager was about, I spoke with him as to if the scanner could be programmed with weight also of single item, thus preventing such an incident.

He thanked me for the suggestion and said he'd call corp to see if that could be done. Three years later, most of the self serve stations are gone, but now they are resurging.... But I am not surprised at this. I bagged next to a guy who ignored the "!5 items or less" sign, bagged 6 bags worth, then picked them all up and walked out...The cashier wasn't nearby....I did report it, maybe they called the cops, don't know...but that was rather brazen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 08:35 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Large grapefruit vs. grapefruit?

I'm sorry, when I'm in the grocery store getting my 70 items, I don't have the kind of bandwidth to notice whether the grapefruit I'm buying is a "large grapefruit" or a "grapefruit".
Yes, especially when there's only one bin of grapefruits. You grab a few thinking this will be easy, then get to the self checkout and there's 5 types in there. Everything in the scanner isn't always in stock.

And not every piece of produce has a sticker. I once got to the checkout with a bag of 4 apples none of which had a sticker. Luckily I went to the regular checker that day so she had to deal with that.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What does the sign say that's with the produce when you pick it up off of the shelf? What does the little sticker that is stuck on the grapefruit say?

But a little help for you for the future: broccoli has large stems. Broccoli crowns have very short stems, because the stems have been cut off. It's not hard to tell them apart.

And you simply grab an onion without looking at the sign that says what it is or the price? Everything in the produce section is labeled and priced and if an identity sticker will stick to it, it has a sticker on it.

I suggest that you stick to the live cashier who can tell a red onion from a yellow onion and then you no longer need to call your onion the cheapest variety, regardless of what it really is. Sneaking out an organic Walla Walla onion by calling it a bulk yellow onion is still theft with no excuses allowed.
Actually, I've learned that "broccoli crowns" are the ones that are sold by the individual stalks; "broccoli" is grouped with 3 or four stalks, with a blue rubber band holding them together. Both have stalks that, if you aren't making soup, you just discard.

I don't usually read any signs - I can recognize a grapefruit when I see one, so i don't necessarily know whether it's a grapefruit or a large grapefruit. It's a grapefruit.

Yes, usually produce has a sticker and that makes it easy to just type in the 4 digit code.

But often, it doesn't.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
People have been rationalizing their crimes since forever.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:45 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I'm not a fan of stick it to the corporation by shoplifting. Corporations pass that stuff down and the rest of us pay for it. If you really want to stick it to a corporation, don't shop there.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:49 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,083,950 times
Cameras are everywhere (look around you next time), do you really think the stores aren’t aware of the petty thievery in the self-check lanes? It’s all factored in to the overhead expenses and shows up in the prices we pay.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Cameras are everywhere (look around you next time), do you really think the stores aren’t aware of the petty thievery in the self-check lanes? It’s all factored in to the overhead expenses and shows up in the prices we pay.
Interesting you say that.

I was in target the other day, and a woman accidentally took a vacuum cleaner out without paying because it was under her cart, and really, the checker had no way of seeing it. (I did find out later that it was a mistake, and she went back to pay for it).

When you're self-checking, there's a clerk standing there watching and I don't think you could leave with a vacuum cleaner in the bottom of your cart. That checker could easily see it.

(and no, for some reason, the theft warning didn't go off on the vacuum cleaner, for some reason).

Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
Theft.

It’s not payment as you have not entered into a agreement for employment with the store. But I’m sure plenty of people justify it in such way. “I got to screw the man “ mentality

Old 07-28-2019, 09:01 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
Personally I don't like the self checkout and avoid them as much as possible. Why should I do the work of an employee of not receiving compensation of sorts for my work.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:34 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I love self-checkout and am not a thief.
I know many people that choose a cashier because they believe they are creating jobs.
I know others that "like to be the waited on" when they pay money.
Me, I wanna get in and out asap.

I have had many more incorrect prices from cashiers (not their fault in some cases) and over-rings due to too-sensitive scanners. Control freaks like me love self-scanners.
I was starting to think I was the only one who loves self checkout. As you said, it's faster, and I like to bag things the way I want them bagged.

There was a day that people went to the ol' Mercantile Store, or any store really, with their shopping list and all of the items were gathered from the back for the customer. I wonder if those people pitched a fit when the first "self gathering" stores came into business.

BTW, the first "self gathering" grocery store was Piggly Wiggly in 1916.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ore-180964708/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events