Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 07:14 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
What is the name of this book... it sounds interesting.
Men of Mathematics is the name, I believe. The author is witty.

It's been so many years, but the story of an Irish mathematician named Hamilton is especially memorable. He had very poor judgement in regards to finding a compatible partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 08:06 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
LOL...not only have you misinterpreted the question of the other poster (he was asking about the mathematician book), but you got the title of Krakauer's book wrong...and also the book title is in the subject line!
Not meaning to pick on you, but it is funny...
You’re thinking he mixed up into the wild with back to the wild. He didn’t, there is another book called back to the wild which features Christopher McCandless his writings and photographs.

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Wild-Chr.../dp/0983395500

Old 08-04-2020, 11:34 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Men of Mathematics is the name, I believe. The author is witty.

It's been so many years, but the story of an Irish mathematician named Hamilton is especially memorable. He had very poor judgement in regards to finding a compatible partner.
Thank you - I will have to check it out.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:02 PM

23 posts, read 14,967 times
I concur. Very well said. You can feel the jealousy and vitriol in the naysayers comments regarding how this kid decided to live his life, on his terms. How dare he!

Old 11-10-2023, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 3,316 times
so sad

Old 11-12-2023, 01:57 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyvette View Post
I concur. Very well said. You can feel the jealousy and vitriol in the naysayers comments regarding how this kid decided to live his life, on his terms. How dare he!
As one of your so-called "naysayers" my objections (I'm certainly not jealous) aren't based on what McCandless chose to do with his life, but because his actions weren't confined to his own little world. His self-centered disregard created and continues to create grief for others. The actions of overly selfish arrogant people create widening ripples in a bigger pond than they choose to realize. Of course, he couldn't predict what would come to pass because he died so stupidly, but sometimes I wonder if someone like that hopes their exploits (not just their writings) will earn them a higher degree of immortality. I agree that every person is entitled to autonomy of thought and a reasonable level of autonomy of action, but there's a point in hero worship beyond which would-be admirers should step back and say enough's enough. This one was a flake. He did idiotic things and died for it. He continues to inspire stupidity in others. He wasn't worth risking life over, but hero worshipers continue to do it. To add insult to injury, the risks they expose themselves to aren't even necessary and they continue to inconvenience, annoy, and put others at risk. Are they trying to manifest their personal bravery by being mini-mes or something? So sorry, it's not working! They aren't acquiring the reputation for bravery but they are for naiveté and stupidity. Just like their hero. That isn't an admirable legacy IMHO.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-12-2023 at 02:13 PM..

Old 11-12-2023, 02:28 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyvette View Post
His notes pretty clearly indicate he didn't end his life "on his terms". I don't see anything to admire.

I can admire those who go to test themselves against nature as long as they approach the task with respect. I know and respect people who've circumnavigated the globe solo. They managed because they were prepared, knowledgeable and humble. This guy was neither.

Yes, it was his life to throw away. You can say the same for those who try to ride Niagara in barrel.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think it's been conclusively proven he didn't intend to die.

Your post seems unnecessarily harsh.
"Suicide by stupidity" would mean unintentionally killing yourself.

Old 11-14-2023, 06:06 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Since this thread has been resurrected, I am going to ask: does anyone know if relocating that bus has cut down on the number of people attempting to hike out to the place where Chris McCandless died? I hope it has!

Old 11-15-2023, 03:04 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Since this thread has been resurrected, I am going to ask: does anyone know if relocating that bus has cut down on the number of people attempting to hike out to the place where Chris McCandless died? I hope it has!
Haven't heard either way...but no more "rescues" seem to have made the news. That could also be an artifact of reporting...if an attractive nuisance isn't there any longer agencies stop noticing who might be trying to get to it. It may not be newsworthy any more either. No one needed to ford the Teklanika River to reach the site in any case. There's a road and a bridge available but those aren't nearly as romantic. It's just a longer walk.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-15-2023 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events