Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 01:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,003,195 times

Advertisements

Parents in IL are giving up guardianship of their high school kids so they will qualify for financial aid in college.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...eport-n1036241
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 04:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,751 posts, read 18,091,770 times
The flip side of this, is students with wealthy parents who aren't going to finance any of their college education are screwed in the current situation. The student has to put down family income on the form, and that keeps them from getting any kind of financial aid or even scholarships, usually. That's no more fair than what's going on here, with parents giving up custody.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 PM

1,210 posts, read 893,029 times
Doesn't bother me rich people got some advantages getting their kids into college. We're talking dozens of kids not tens of thousands of kids (who also benefit from racial preferences, bonus SAT points, quotas, affirmative action, etc). Rich people deserve the perks: they paid for the colleges that everyone including the children of people who don't pay any taxes, enjoy. They paid via donations or taxes. Besides, chances are those rich people are high IQ (excluding celebrities) so, since IQ is 80% genetic, their kids are probably high IQ, but those high IQ kids got bumped so lower IQ kids could cut to the front of the line.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,866,850 times
The entire "parent sponsor" thing is stupid anyway. Many, many kids get screwed because the parents refuse to contribute one dime to college, and the kid (well, technically adult), has zero means to do anything about it.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,376,736 times
I just wrote this in another thread about "free" stuff over on Politics and Other Controversies:

What to become rich:

Rule #1 Try and use as little of your own money as possible!
Rule #2 See Rule #1

Have you ever noticed that some not all billionaire sports team owners ask cities/counties/states to help pay for some or all of the cost of a new stadium/arena which can cost a billion or more. You want to know why, they aren't stupid, they didn't become wealthy spending their own money. They will take every handout they can, just like the homeless bum on the street!

Old 07-30-2019, 06:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,145,461 times
These parents are TRASH.

I know lots of wealthy people and everyone of them have paid for their children's educations.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:19 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,070,880 times
My Uncle Sam helped me through college and it only cost me 4 years of service. Why couldn’t I have been born rich instead of so damn handsome?

Even better, that $324 or so that I collected each month in the early 80’s has been repaid over by obtaining a marketable degree. Thanks Uncle Sam!

As for these parents: there’s the letter and the spirit of the law. This may be legal but it’s outside the spirit of the law. Hopefully, this can be addressed legislatively.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,751 posts, read 18,091,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
These parents are TRASH.

I know lots of wealthy people and everyone of them have paid for their children's educations.
What should wealthy parents do, if it's their opinion that their kids should make their own way, and pay for their own opportunities?

There ARE a lot of very wealthy parents, who do realize that giving their kids a very very cush life ruins them.

If they are still the guardians of their now adult offspring, their college aged sons and daughters are completely without the resources that other students enjoy.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:46 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,525,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The flip side of this, is students with wealthy parents who aren't going to finance any of their college education are screwed in the current situation. The student has to put down family income on the form, and that keeps them from getting any kind of financial aid or even scholarships, usually. That's no more fair than what's going on here, with parents giving up custody.
But this doesn't make any sense. It's one thing for wealthy parents to tell their kids that they won't finance college (for the record, I think that's insane and stupid). It's another for them to go through an entire process (well before college) to make it look like the child has no means, when there are kids out there who literally don't. The giving up custody in order for a kid to qualify for financial aid is a jerk move, IMO.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM

78,664 posts, read 60,867,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The entire "parent sponsor" thing is stupid anyway. Many, many kids get screwed because the parents refuse to contribute one dime to college, and the kid (well, technically adult), has zero means to do anything about it.
I know someone holding off on re-marrying because it would jack up the financial aid situation for kids in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events