Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 01:30 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Frankly I’ve never used these services. I always go and get my own stuff. If I was disabled from an accident or something I’d still call a friend first and see if they could pick up something in their travels rather than use any of these services. Between getting the crap beaten out of you or having your food tampered with, just not worth it.
I take it you've never had food delivered to you period? Even without these services, someone that works for the place could still tamper with your food, or even going there to order it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 02:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This is going in circles again. For the 100th time. That is just the name of the company. Can you show me anything that says they guarantee delivery to the customers door? I can find no such guarantee anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Cloudy is right this time, it is unreasonable to expect a minimum wage food delivery driver to walk up stairs to an apartment door at any time, much less 1am. But this isn't the moral of the story; the moral is when someone tells you "no" it does not mean you step out of your door and angrily motion for them to get off their butts and do what you told them to do. The guy who got beat up was a douche, plain and simple. Did he deserve to get beat up? I'd say no, but sometimes in life when you act like a douche you get beat up.
There's some douchey-ness in the air, alright, but it's coming from you. A paying customer expecting the customer service that he paid for is not a "douche". Or a "tw@t". Or a "PITA".

And this is going in circles because you insist on being wrong.

DoorDash's whole business model and gimmick is door-to-DOOR delivery. It is what they advertise. Delivery to your DOOR. Their slogan is "Delicious at your DOOR." Yes, even if your door is an apartment door. Deal with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cywEtFdElyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCAVCA0geTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuXnWNCx7N4

Because you both seem to have a really hard time grasping this, I've diagrammed a still from one of their commercials for you:

You're welcome.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:17 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Can you find one that requires customers to go to drivers car doors?
Best as I can tell DoorDash has no policy on it. If the driver says come down to the car, if you want your food, you have to come down to his car and get it. Otherwise the driver can follow the instructions on the app for disposing of your food. You people are just making up requirements that DoorDash doesn't provide.

Like the customer in the article, you are assuming that if a DoorDash driver brings your food up to your apartment, he is not just doing you a favor. Which he is, because he is not required to do that. That is where the problem came in for this customer. The customer was being an obnoxious *******, and expecting service that DoorDash doesn't provide. He tried to play that game on the wrong DoorDash driver, and it ended badly for him.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I can’t believe what I just read. I worked quite a few minimum wage jobs while branching out in life and never felt this way about any of my customers. Yes I did want a job that made more money and sometimes you’d have these jerks for customers, but I treated them with respect and moved on. The next table or customer was better. There is such a thing as personal pride and work ethic. I would never expect a customer to come down the stairs to get their food. If they offered wonderful but I wouldn’t expect it .
I hope you’re happy in whatever position you have now but I hope it’s not the service industry.
Which is exactly what I did too, in that case. I treated the customer with respect and explained that I was not authorized to give him a discount, if he did not have a coupon. I'm retired now, and don't have to deal with any of these ******* self-entitled customers.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
There's some douchey-ness in the air, alright, but it's coming from you. A paying customer expecting the customer service that he paid for is not a "douche". Or a "tw@t". Or a "PITA".

And this is going in circles because you insist on being wrong.

DoorDash's whole business model and gimmick is door-to-DOOR delivery. It is what they advertise. Delivery to your DOOR. Their slogan is "Delicious at your DOOR." Yes, even if your door is an apartment door. Deal with it.
You are missing the point for the 101st time, he was expecting service that he was not entitled to, and that DoorDash made no claim of. That makes him a douche.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:20 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I take it you've never had food delivered to you period? Even without these services, someone that works for the place could still tamper with your food, or even going there to order it.

Actually I have like pizza or Chinese food. Yes it’s true tampering could happen anywhere but lately these stories regarding these specific delivery services are rampant. Right now though I haven’t had any food delivered in almost 4 years. I just grab something on the way home from work or go get it later after I’ve been home for a bit and decide what to do. I’m very fortunate in that where I live I’m surrounded by dozens of restaurants or fast food carry out places. I can leave to get something and be back home in under 20 minutes.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
https://www.lipstickalley.com/thread...-food.2615755/
Door

At the end of the day it should be the customer who gets to decide if they want to come downstairs and not the driver. Why does he expect you to walk to him? You are PAYING for door to door service for a reason. If a company advertises door service (it's literally in the name!) and justifies that as the reason for the delivery fee and the customer expects door service...thinking logically and understanding what makes the most sense in this situation it would appear the customer is right to expect door service.

Now this dummy doesn't have a job and will be sued all because he was too lazy to go upstairs and by the way, this is not so well paying if you are not getting tips and someone who has to come down is not going to tip as much so this man isn't even working smart.
The drivers are not employees, they are Independent Contractors.

Still, DoorDash hardly checks anything when you sign up to drive, unlike the other app jobs that either thoroughly investigate your vehicle paperwork as well as driving history, or even do background checks before you're allowed to do anything for them.

DoorDash - you literally sign up, tell them what kind of car you have, tell them you have insurance, and you're in.

Quote:
Best as I can tell DoorDash has no policy on it. If the driver says come down to the car, if you want your food, you have to come down to his car and get it. Otherwise the driver can follow the instructions on the app for disposing of your food. You people are just making up requirements that DoorDash doesn't provide.

Like the customer in the article, you are assuming that if a DoorDash driver brings your food up to your apartment, he is not just doing you a favor. Which he is, because he is not required to do that. That is where the problem came in for this customer. The customer was being an obnoxious *******, and expecting service that DoorDash doesn't provide. He tried to play that game on the wrong DoorDash driver, and it ended badly for him.
I do these app jobs on the side for fun and extra money. The fact that people are going to pay me to go to the store for them is fantastic. I love driving, and they want to pay me for it? That's not work.

Anyway, there may not be a written policy about going to the customer's door, because it shouldn't have to be written. No one goes to the driver's car to get their food. We've had delivery for decades, and now people want to pretend it means something different than it is. No, it doesn't. You get your lazy arse out of the car and walk it to the damn door. I know this because I do DoorDash deliveries. The customer was NOT expecting something that he didn't deserve. The entire point of the damn gig is to drive to the restaurant, pick up the food, drive to the person's house, bring it to their door. How do you not know this?

In fact, unless there are explicit instructions to leave the food on the porch or a bench or whatever, it IS the driver's duty to go to the door and make contact with the customer. Once that is done, they can then mark the order as delivered, on the app. What do you think they do? Drop it on the curb and text the customer as they are driving off? The only thing that's "douche" y (your word) here is anyone actually defending the assailant and acting like the customer was in the wrong.

Please let UPS, Amazon, Fed-Ex, the pizza delivery guy, etc know that you think "delivery" means "I come out to find you in your car somewhere on the street."

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 08-19-2019 at 03:42 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 03:50 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Quote:
You people are just making up requirements that DoorDash doesn't provide.

Quote:
You are missing the point for the 101st time, he was expecting service that he was not entitled to, and that DoorDash made no claim of. That makes him a douche.
You are the one making stuff up as you go along. And you're not making any sense whatsoever.

DoorDash advertises delivery to your door, whether to your home or office. That is the core tenet of their enterprise. The customer is entitled to what DoorDash advertises. If you sign up with DoorDash, you are signing up to fulfill what they advertise.

If you are taking it upon yourself to make up your own personalized set of princess rules and exceptions, based on your pathetic work ethic, inability to understand the basic requirements of a simple job, and based on your bad attitude (look at all of yours and duke944's angry, resentful language and bleeped out cuss words), you are not only making yourself look lazy & incompetent, you are generating bad buzz for DoorDash, as well as the restaurant, whether it be a big chain or a small mom & pop joint.

The customer is doing DoorDash a favor. And they are doing the driver a favor. No customer, no business. What do you not understand? It is nonsensical malarkey to put forth that a DoorDash driver is doing the customer a favor.

The DoorDash driver also has to drive out to the restaurant, park, get out of his car, walk up to the restaurant doors, go inside the restaurant (oh, the humanity!), pick up the order, and make sure it's correct. Yet, somehow, driving the order to the customer's home or office, and going to their door is some unrealistic, egregious expectation? What's the difference between the former and the latter? Going by your logic, you should also not have to get out of your car at the restaurant. Restaurant staff should bring the food out to your car. Because you're doing the restaurant a favor too.

You want to keep making asinine arguments, go ahead. I love arguing. My goal is to make this thread go to at least 25 pages.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:54 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The drivers are not employees, they are Independent Contractors.

Still, DoorDash hardly checks anything when you sign up to drive, unlike the other app jobs that either thoroughly investigate your vehicle paperwork as well as driving history, or even do background checks before you're allowed to do anything for them.

DoorDash - you literally sign up, tell them what kind of car you have, tell them you have insurance, and you're in.

I do these app jobs on the side for fun and extra money. The fact that people are going to pay me to go to the store for them is fantastic. I love driving, and they want to pay me for it? That's not work.

Anyway, there may not be a written policy about going to the customer's door, because it shouldn't have to be written. No one goes to the driver's car to get their food. We've had delivery for decades, and now people want to pretend it means something different than it is. No, it doesn't. You get your lazy arse out of the car and walk it to the damn door. I know this because I do DoorDash deliveries. The customer was NOT expecting something that he didn't deserve. The entire point of the damn gig is to drive to the restaurant, pick up the food, drive to the person's house, bring it to their door. How do you not know this?

In fact, unless there are explicit instructions to leave the food on the porch or a bench or whatever, it IS the driver's duty to go to the door and make contact with the customer. Once that is done, they can then mark the order as delivered, on the app. What do you think they do? Drop it on the curb and text the customer as they are driving off? The only thing that's "douche" y (your word) here is anyone actually defending the assailant and acting like the customer was in the wrong.

Please let UPS, Amazon, Fed-Ex, the pizza delivery guy, etc know that you think "delivery" means "I come out to find you in your car somewhere on the street."
It wasn't a house, it was an apartment. Do you not see any difference between parking in someone's driveway and walking up a short sidewalk to a front door, and having to figure out where to park then walk to a main door to get buzzed into a huge building and having to go up floors to find a front door?

Old 08-19-2019, 04:39 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
We can ague if the service the customer is paying for is to the door or to the front entrance, although the ad campaign by
Door Dash makes it pretty clear they are claiming the service is to the door so naturally that is the expectation. So that really should end that.

But seriously it's absolutely crazy to blame the customer for being upset when the driver didn't even get out of his freaking car. To claim he owed the driver a tip for this bad attitude and service is frankly beyond any form of intelligent thought.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 08-19-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events