Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 10:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Yeah, just what we need--instead of one person killed by the elevator, two or three Rambo heroes making the whole thing fall to the basement, killing several others, because they did not know what they were doing as they tried to save this person.

Why is it that anytime something bad happens in a city there's always some yahoo ready to say "They are so impersonal" and "God is punishing them," but when the same thing happens in flyover country its all "Why do bad things happen to good people" and "God called this special soul home"?
What on earth are you babbling about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 01:12 AM

11,443 posts, read 625,643 times
It is very sad something bad like this has to happen before they bother to fix things

Old 08-25-2019, 08:16 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
I still don't get the part about getting "crushed." You need two unmovable pieces to get crushed but his back was to the inside of the elevator so did't he just fall back inside?

Old 08-25-2019, 02:30 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I still don't get the part about getting "crushed." You need two unmovable pieces to get crushed but his back was to the inside of the elevator so did't he just fall back inside?

He was trying to get out, and put his arms out to try to keep the doors from closing. It sounds as if the jolt of the elevator may have then caused him to get caught in the gap between the elevator and the shaft, and get crushed as it descended. In one report, he was ultimately found between the bottom two levels, and workers had to extricate him.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Horrific. This stuff happens somewhat often in China. They also have many people mutilated or killed by escalators. It's shocking when it happens here. Everyone likes to believe we go above and beyond to guarantee the safety of our mechanical equipment. But greed is a problem everywhere. It wouldn't be surprising if that was the cause of this accident. Looks like they already know human error and tapering contributed to the accident. It will be interesting to find out the qualifications of the people who were tampering with this elevator and it's electronics. I think there is a short supply of licensed and qualified elevator mechanics in this country.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 AM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What on earth are you babbling about?
Responding to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I did too, people averting their gaze and getting out of there instead of showing concern and a willingness to help. The difference between large, impersonal cities and smaller towns.
How on earth were people supposed to "help?" Your post made absolutely no sense.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:03 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
This is why we test our elevators every month and have a service contract with a certified elevator contractor. We test to see if it stops level, no unusual noise or vibration, door sensors prevents the door from closing if someone is in the door, and the emergency telephone operates. If we find any issues we call the contractor. If there is a serious issue we lock the elevator out of service.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
He tried to exit at the same time the elevator suddenly shot downwards. His limbs were crushed where the floor of the lobby met the top of the elevator. It looked to me like a horrifically painful death, poor man.
But did you actually see him with one foot inside and one foot outside the elevator before the drop? I didn't.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
He was trying to get out, and put his arms out to try to keep the doors from closing. It sounds as if the jolt of the elevator may have then caused him to get caught in the gap between the elevator and the shaft, and get crushed as it descended. In one report, he was ultimately found between the bottom two levels, and workers had to extricate him.
That gap is barely an inch. I don't see why he didn't just fall back in the elevator. I could see his hands getting caught in the guillotine action but I didn't see that.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Is it really necessary to overthink the mechanics of how the man died?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events