Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 AM

167 posts, read 190,438 times

Advertisements

My takeaway from this is there's no lollygagging at the elevator door threshold. I'm either in or I'm out. Also I'm no longer keeping the door from closing by putting my hand in, other people will just have to wait or I'll just have to wait as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This is why we test our elevators every month and have a service contract with a certified elevator contractor. We test to see if it stops level, no unusual noise or vibration, door sensors prevents the door from closing if someone is in the door, and the emergency telephone operates. If we find any issues we call the contractor. If there is a serious issue we lock the elevator out of service.
That should be a given. This happened in New York City, which probably has more elevators than any other place in the country. The LAW requires that elevators be inspected, and the inspection record has to be posted in the elevator.

Now if the building didn't comply with that law, there is an issue.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That should be a given. This happened in New York City, which probably has more elevators than any other place in the country. The LAW requires that elevators be inspected, and the inspection record has to be posted in the elevator.

I don't know about NYC, but I once saw an elevator certificate in California that was three years out of date. The building management had put a note next to it, saying: "Yes, we know this elevator hasn't been inspected in over three years. Be assured that it is well maintained and in good working order. We just can't get anybody from the state to come and inspect it." I wouldn't put too much faith in elevator inspections.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Saw the video, man that's terrible. Reminds me of a story I heard when I attended Ohio State. My first year at Ohio state (would have been 2007) someone told me a story about how in one of the dorms there was an elevator incident (granted this happened years and years ago) where the elevator stopped half way between two floors and the doors opened. I guess a student (maybe he was drunk?) decided to try and climb out of the elevator to the floor above. The elevator ended up dropping and severed the guy in the half. Pretty gruesome... but was a true story as far as I know.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Every plane that has ever crashed was probably "inspected" too. I am no elevator expert but all stops must be mechanical. An open door must engage a physical lock of some sort. You can't rely on a fuse to keep the elevator from falling.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
My takeaway from this is there's no lollygagging at the elevator door threshold. I'm either in or I'm out. Also I'm no longer keeping the door from closing by putting my hand in, other people will just have to wait or I'll just have to wait as well.

Yes.

The people who were behind the poor victim in the elevator are alive.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:19 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
This reminds me of that awful scene many years ago on LA Law - when the lady lawyer stepped into the elevator but the elevator was at the bottom, the elevator doors opened to nothing and she didn't look and fell into the shaft.

Is it true that the young man let someone go first and that person was safely out, but when it was his turn that is when the elevator plummeted?

The way the dad was speaking, it does sound like there will be a lawsuit. Seems his son had complained about the faulty elevators to management for months. These lawsuits are partially based on the possible future earnings of the deceased and since the young man was a techie, the amount of money could be huge, as well it should be. Very sad the way the dad expressed his loss - not being able to see his son marry or have a family.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:30 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times
According to what I'm reading, there are more than 70,000 elevators in NY; there have been 2 other accidents in NY; one in 2016 and another 2011. Sounds pretty rare that there are fatal accidents where people get crushed.

The Manhattan Promenade where this happened was an expensive apartment building, it's a 23-story luxury tower with 183 apartments and 2 elevators. Residents have complained to the landlord about the elevators and that they were used to them being out of order and never told why they weren't working.

The building was just fined a little over $1,000 after inspectors found that a safety feature on one of the elevators had been disabled or tampered with. In May, they were ordered to stop using that elevator until it was fixed. City inspectors approved a repair on it the end of May but the violation was not closed out because the landlord hadn't paid the fine. The elevator that broke the other day was not the one with the fine but apparently both elevators had electrical issues according to city records. Of course they're looking into what the electrical issues were to see if it had something to do with the accident.

Man Crushed to Death in Manhattan Building With History of Elevator Problems - The Manhattan Promenade, a residential tower in the Kips Bay neighborhood, was recently fined for unsafe elevator conditions. Aug. 22, 2019

Quote:
The cars wobbled erratically, tenants said, and often stopped between floors. Occasionally, the doors would not fully shut, and would need to be manually closed. And sometimes they failed to open at all.
Manhattan man crushed by elevator suffered massive injuries to neck and chest: medical examiner By Thomas Tracy - Aug 24, 2019
Quote:
extensive injuries to his neck and chest
Samuel Waisbren died from crushing blunt force injuries to his neck and torso, and “mechanical asphyxia," meaning his breathing was violently hampered when he ended up getting pinned between the elevator and the shaft wall.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:43 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
According to what I'm reading, there are more than 70,000 elevators in NY; there have been 2 other accidents in NY; one in 2016 and another 2011. Sounds pretty rare that there are fatal accidents where people get crushed.

The Manhattan Promenade where this happened was an expensive apartment building, it's a 23-story luxury tower with 183 apartments and 2 elevators. Residents have complained to the landlord about the elevators and that they were used to them being out of order and never told why they weren't working.

The building was just fined a little over $1,000 after inspectors found that a safety feature on one of the elevators had been disabled or tampered with. In May, they were ordered to stop using that elevator until it was fixed. City inspectors approved a repair on it the end of May but the violation was not closed out because the landlord hadn't paid the fine. The elevator that broke the other day was not the one with the fine but apparently both elevators had electrical issues according to city records. Of course they're looking into what the electrical issues were to see if it had something to do with the accident.

Man Crushed to Death in Manhattan Building With History of Elevator Problems - The Manhattan Promenade, a residential tower in the Kips Bay neighborhood, was recently fined for unsafe elevator conditions. Aug. 22, 2019

Manhattan man crushed by elevator suffered massive injuries to neck and chest: medical examiner By Thomas Tracy - Aug 24, 2019
There is the problem right there. The building is taking in over $1 million a month. What is a $1,000 fine going to do for a landlord raking in millions a month? And then they don't even pay the fine. The landlord was probably offended at the fine. How dare you fine us $1,000 for endangering the lives of out tenants.

The fines need to be income based to have any effect. Otherwise they are worthless.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:48 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
OMG this is beyond horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events