Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 04:54 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Australia was a dumping ground for England's convicts for a while, so I won't be surprised if some of those immoral genes have made it's way from generation to generation.
What a horrible, obnoxious statement! I took the trouble to read The Fatal Shore, a book about Australia's history. It is a complex, rich history that a lot of a**holes don't bother to learn before making dumb statements. And by the way I am a New Yorker with no Aussie roots other than a love of Slim Dusty and Jimmy Barnes. And who has learned the first two verses of "Advance Australia Fair."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 05:43 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What a horrible, obnoxious statement! I took the trouble to read The Fatal Shore, a book about Australia's history. It is a complex, rich history that a lot of a**holes don't bother to learn before making dumb statements. And by the way I am a New Yorker with no Aussie roots other than a love of Slim Dusty and Jimmy Barnes. And who has learned the first two verses of "Advance Australia Fair."
It WAS used as a way to exile criminals though. It wasn’t their only history but was certainly a major part of it.

“Between 1788 and 1868, about 162,000 convicts were transported from Britain to various penal colonies in Australia. ... In 1868, almost two decades after transportation to the eastern colonies had ceased, the last convict ship arrived in Western Australia. The majority of convicts were transported for petty crimes.”i

Old 10-05-2019, 06:34 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It WAS used as a way to exile criminals though. It wasn’t their only history but was certainly a major part of it.

“Between 1788 and 1868, about 162,000 convicts were transported from Britain to various penal colonies in Australia. ... In 1868, almost two decades after transportation to the eastern colonies had ceased, the last convict ship arrived in Western Australia. The majority of convicts were transported for petty crimes.”i
It is not a part of our history that we make any attempt to deny. The first European settlement in Australia was a convict settlement. However the idea that immoral genes can be passed down through the generations is ludicrous. The advantages the new environment for all the free and convict settlers resulted in the formation, in just over a hundred years, of a new and advanced democracy. Australia was federated peacefully and it was one of the first countries in the world where women got the right to vote, where education was free and compulsory, where a non-contributory age aged pension was paid. Of course we have our negatives and there are negatives in our history like anywhere.

But I would think that a person guilty of animal cruelty would be more likely to be influenced any of a number of contemporary issues than immoral genes!

Old 10-05-2019, 06:55 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
It is not a part of our history that we make any attempt to deny. The first European settlement in Australia was a convict settlement. However the idea that immoral genes can be passed down through the generations is ludicrous. The advantages the new environment for all the free and convict settlers resulted in the formation, in just over a hundred years, of a new and advanced democracy. Australia was federated peacefully and it was one of the first countries in the world where women got the right to vote, where education was free and compulsory, where a non-contributory age aged pension was paid. Of course we have our negatives and there are negatives in our history like anywhere.

But I would think that a person guilty of animal cruelty would be more likely to be influenced any of a number of contemporary issues than immoral genes!
Yes, I agree with you there. Did you ever watch the show Flight of the Concords? There was a running joke through the series about New Zealanders hating Australians, and one particularly hilarious episode where Jermaine starts dating an Australian and that aspect is played up quite a bit as she steals his wallet all the time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6j1AWQKCBs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg

Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/australia...022952460.html

Why? What kind of subhuman does this? I just don't understand someone deliberately hurting or killing a living breathing creature for pleasure.
Future serial killers, that's who.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:59 PM

20,657 posts, read 4,428,521 times
Where's Mick when you need him?

"Good One Skippy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snfjasKXr44

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Hunting for food, or to keep the population healthy, fine. But to kill them indiscriminately for fun, hell no.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:03 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
It's not obnoxious if it's the truth. I'm not a big fan of the Aussie people because they have a rich tradition of exploiting and killing animals for fun. And don't get me started on the real atrocities, what they did to the Aborigines. They were still hunting them down and killing them and removing them from their lands until around 1930. So who gives a crap you learned a couple of versus of some Australian song, when there are natural habitat and indigenous tribes that have been hunted down because they are considered pests. Same types of people cry when immigrants are now flooding in, which makes them a bit hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

But it is well known that psychotic behavior can be passed down through genetics. So again, I'm not being obnoxious, an a$$whole, or any other names you want to call me because I am telling the truth.

Last edited by warhorse78; 10-06-2019 at 06:20 AM..

Old 10-06-2019, 07:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Anybody remember Quigley Down Under? The landowner, played by Alan Rickman, hired a marksman from America (Tom Selleck) to hunt down the aboriginal people because he compared them to pests. It was an excellent western and Quigley's gun was a Sharps rifle. If you haven't seen it you've missed a great movie. It had everything you could want in a movie.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:01 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It's not obnoxious if it's the truth. I'm not a big fan of the Aussie people because they have a rich tradition of exploiting and killing animals for fun. And don't get me started on the real atrocities, what they did to the Aborigines. They were still hunting them down and killing them and removing them from their lands until around 1930. So who gives a crap you learned a couple of versus of some Australian song, when there are natural habitat and indigenous tribes that have been hunted down because they are considered pests. Same types of people cry when immigrants are now flooding in, which makes them a bit hypocritical.

But it is well known that psychotic behavior can be passed down through genetics. So again, I'm not being obnoxious, an a$$whole, or any other names you want to call me because I am telling the truth.
Compared to the behavior of Georgian and Russian leaders against Ukrainians and "Kulaks" and German and Polish behavior towards Jews this was downright angelic. And that's accepting your exaggerations as true.
"

Old 10-06-2019, 12:25 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Oh the faux outrage lol

I guess sometimes the truth can be horrible though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events