Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 11:08 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The problem is, and why it’s so hard to enact change, isn’t because prison employees will be affected, it’s because the profits of the private prison industry will be affected, and they donate huge bucks to pols to make sure things stay just as they are. It’s not just logistics, but corruption throughout the criminal justice system. It is huge money we are talking about and they will not release their grips on it willingly. Remember “Kids for cash” scandal that rocked the PA juvenile justice system ? That’s just the ones who got caught. This kind of thing happens all the time, especially in poor areas where poverty and powerlessness keeps dissenting voices quiet (as well as pols ability to manipulate the masses into believing this keeps them safe).
Well sure. There are plenty of politicians who seem to want CJ reform but no one ever really talks much about legalizing drugs because it would negatively affect a larger industry. Kind of like how and why the government bends to the tobacco industry and has for decades now. We all know how bad cigarettes are and how many health problems they cause, and how much money is spent on cigarette-related health issues (in a health insurance system that frankly also kind of sucks and leads to many people paying for those who cannot), yet cigarettes aren't illegal like heroin or use of pills without a prescription. NJ can't even legalize marijuana despite some of our politicians claiming they want it done, and despite how much tax revenue it could generate. So many people get nabbed on low level marijuana offenses and wind up in jail or prison...

This however doesn't change anything I said about effects on law enforcement in my particular area.

I wish making drugs illegal worked as a deterrent, but it just doesn't. Like it also didn't work for alcohol, and we nipped that one in the bud when we realized it. I mean, making anything illegal doesn't really work as a deterrent, but at least drug users are really only hurting themselves when they use. They're not like rapists or murderers or domestic or child abusers who actively and intentionally hurt others. Drug use can lead to robbery or burglary or other theft-related offenses which does have victims, but those are separate crimes and would happen as a result of drug use whether or not drugs were legal, and again, making drugs illegal does not deter these related crimes, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 11:25 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well sure. There are plenty of politicians who seem to want CJ reform but no one ever really talks much about legalizing drugs because it would negatively affect a larger industry. Kind of like how and why the government bends to the tobacco industry and has for decades now. We all know how bad cigarettes are and how many health problems they cause, and how much money is spent on cigarette-related health issues (in a health insurance system that frankly also kind of sucks and leads to many people paying for those who cannot), yet cigarettes aren't illegal like heroin or use of pills without a prescription. NJ can't even legalize marijuana despite some of our politicians claiming they want it done, and despite how much tax revenue it could generate. So many people get nabbed on low level marijuana offenses and wind up in jail or prison...

This however doesn't change anything I said about effects on law enforcement in my particular area.

I wish making drugs illegal worked as a deterrent, but it just doesn't. Like it also didn't work for alcohol, and we nipped that one in the bud when we realized it. I mean, making anything illegal doesn't really work as a deterrent, but at least drug users are really only hurting themselves when they use. They're not like rapists or murderers or domestic or child abusers who actively and intentionally hurt others. Drug use can lead to robbery or burglary or other theft-related offenses which does have victims, but those are separate crimes and would happen as a result of drug use whether or not drugs were legal, and again, making drugs illegal does not deter these related crimes, either.

It certainly doesn't help to ruin their lives with a record. That only guarantees they can't get hired even if they get help and get clean, as well as God knows how much debt from those ever-precious fines the courts love so much. LEAP understand addiction is a problem, but believes it is more appropriate to be handled by Public Health Departments than the justice system. They believe legalizing drugs (they actually want all drugs legal) will save more than enough money for public health agencies to provide treatment for drug addiction.

Yeah, I was highly disappointed by NJ. It passed on the ballot, yet they still don't care what the people want. I know they were arguing over some points of the final bill, such as giving people in inner city neighborhoods, those who have been most affected by the war on drugs, equal opportunity to get into the marijuana business (it is going to be hard to keep it from becoming corporatized, even now CVS is selling CBD oil) and I know taxes were a big issue they were fighting about. Governor Murphy wanted it taxed at a high rate, others believe high taxes will only ensure cartels stay in business and that in order to put the illegal dealers out of business, taxes need to be lower. I think they wanted 10%, which would have been the lowest taxes in the nation. Yet now they are saying they are going to wait until November 2020 and put it back on the ballot!

I was pretty much just a keyboard warrior last time, this time I might actually get off my butt and go to a couple marches and write letters to the editor.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

After so long, you have to ask yourself, are they keeping drug illegal for the profit aspect (prisons, LE budgets), or is to ensure the drug trade is never regulated, keeping it illegal guarantees no regulations, no rules, etc LOTS of money can be made when there are not regulations or rules.

One this is interesting that you mentioned...cigarettes, govt bends to their every whim, because of the tax revenue it brings in...if govt is in it for the profit, why in the world did they make opioids so hard to obtain for addicts, when they could have made them easier to get and slap a sin tax on them, they would have been rolling in extra revenue! Why would they allow one industry to sell deadly addictive products, but not another? Maybe the pharma people didnt want to 'pay off' to the govt, who knows?

Old 10-20-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
After so long, you have to ask yourself, are they keeping drug illegal for the profit aspect (prisons, LE budgets), or is to ensure the drug trade is never regulated, keeping it illegal guarantees no regulations, no rules, etc LOTS of money can be made when there are not regulations or rules.

One this is interesting that you mentioned...cigarettes, govt bends to their every whim, because of the tax revenue it brings in...if govt is in it for the profit, why in the world did they make opioids so hard to obtain for addicts, when they could have made them easier to get and slap a sin tax on them, they would have been rolling in extra revenue! Why would they allow one industry to sell deadly addictive products, but not another? Maybe the pharma people didnt want to 'pay off' to the govt, who knows?
Taxes are not some much the reason but how much the the tobacco companies contribute to senators and.congress people and donate to presidential candidates, and the high paid lobbyists they have in DC that have much more sway then people realize.

Areas like NYC that have crazy high cigarette taxes (I think it’s like $12 or more a pack) actually do that to discourage smoking. The taxes are higher but the number of people paying them will go down. Just like NYC mayor put a tax on sugary drinks, not to increase revenue but to get people to make better choices. The states with low cigarette taxes are the cigarette friendly tobacco growing states where they don’t want people to stop smoking.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:29 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Whats interesting, there were NO rapes cases, NO murder cases, NO assault cases, there was a couple sex offenders, but those were for failing to register with the county, (not a new sex offense committed)...

WITHOUT drugs/drug related crime, law enforcement would fade into obscurity and become mostly irrelevant, there just isnt enough 'regular' non-drug related crime to maintain such a large law enforcement, prison industries.
Maybe not in your lil BFE county, but there's more than enough crime for our corrupt cops here in Jefferson. Infact there'es so much crime; my buddy who lives with me, got a criminal tresspeassing charge and arrested simply by walking out of my front door.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Maybe not in your lil BFE county, but there's more than enough crime for our corrupt cops here in Jefferson. Infact there'es so much crime; my buddy who lives with me, got a criminal tresspeassing charge and arrested simply by walking out of my front door.
Just imagine if they didnt have the drug laws...they would have to find something to make up for that, that enough people would be willing to break the law over continually, over and over again.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Just imagine if they didnt have the drug laws...they would have to find something to make up for that, that enough people would be willing to break the law over continually, over and over again.
Just imagine if people obeyed the law and did not use illegal drugs.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why should they obey a law that is unconstitutional, and ultimately only benefits the criminal cartels and law enforcement? How does it feel knowing that the drug laws in place, are making the Mexican cartels wealthy beyond measure?

Old 10-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That's not going to happen, just like they didn't obey the law during prohibition, and they don't obey the laws regarding prostitution. All these activities have been going to on for thousands of years, since they beginning of time. It;s time for government to stop trying to legislate morality. Trying to stop prostitution has never worked, trying to stop booze didn't work, and the war on drugs doesn't work. You might be okay with subsidizing billions of dollars for no gain, but many of us think it should be spent on more productive things that benefit society, not just line the pockets of the private prison industry and those who serve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events