Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 01:57 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,073,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm curious about how the switch happened. I would think it would be visually obvious, the differences between an antibiotic and a pain killer IV pack.

I was trying to find information in regards to if there are rules designating how medications should be stored. (I would assume so, but haven't found any information to that effect yet.)

However, I did find a site that said fentanyl, taken with CERTAIN antibiotics can be very dangerous. And then it listed the antibiotics.

"Taking certain medications with fentanyl may increase the risk that you will develop serious or life-threatening breathing problems, sedation, or coma. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medications: amiodarone (Nexterone, Pacerone); certain antibiotics such as clarithromycin (Biaxin, in PrevPac), erythromycin (Erythocin), telithromycin (Ketek), and troleandomycin (TAO) (not available in the US)"
https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a605043.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 02:40 PM

37,739 posts, read 46,199,244 times
Quote:
I wasn't bragging - I just don't know where pain would come from, if you have pneumonia, except my back was little sore from the coughing. What hurt?
Agreed. Heck both my parents (elderly and frail) both just had pneumonia and neither of them needed pain meds.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:54 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,260,619 times
1) It was way more than a cold.
2) Fentanyl seems a bit much for a first round of pain meds if needed. There are plenty of other meds that can be tried before that.
3) Ain't no way someone from the hospital pulled them aside and said (quoted from FB): "Were sorry but we believe that we overdosed your son with Fentanyl."

Old 01-22-2020, 03:47 PM

35,807 posts, read 18,143,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
1) It was way more than a cold.
2) Fentanyl seems a bit much for a first round of pain meds if needed. There are plenty of other meds that can be tried before that.
3) Ain't no way someone from the hospital pulled them aside and said (quoted from FB): "Were sorry but we believe that we overdosed your son with Fentanyl."
Well, apparently since that IS what happened, and the family knew it, it seems someone from the care team told them.

They surely couldn't have guessed.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:51 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,073,406 times
Another thing I read said that Fentanyl should only be prescribed to Cancer patients who aren't responding to other pain medications.

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a605043.html

"Fentanyl should only be prescribed by doctors who are experienced in treating pain in cancer patients. It should be used only to treat breakthrough cancer pain (sudden episodes of pain that occur despite around-the-clock treatment with pain medication) in cancer patients at least 18 years of age (or at least 16 years of age if using Actiq brand lozenges) who are taking regularly scheduled doses of another narcotic (opiate) pain medication, and who are tolerant (used to the effects of the medication) to narcotic pain medications. This medication should not be used to treat pain other than chronic cancer pain"

Old 01-22-2020, 06:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,788,235 times
IV antibiotics for a cold?? Something in this story is way wrong.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:25 PM

35,807 posts, read 18,143,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
IV antibiotics for a cold?? Something in this story is way wrong.
Well, yes. This is a comparatively short thread, it would probably help to read through it.

He had much, much more than a cold, although that seems to be what he thought he would go to the ER to get treated for.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:12 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,507,816 times
well ones things for sure, when they get the hospital bill, then they will know the meds and dosage.

Lotsa luck getting the transcript of the Doctors Notes/medical trauma team.

S.O.P is to use steroids for the lungs to ease the respiratory distress . Which I tend to AVOID as they are a death trap to my system.

I agree some of the information out there being posted by the family maybe misconstrued.

I appreciated the chuckle though from someone stating...Ohh he was in bad shape when he got there. No kidding, really? So him going to the Emergency room was pointless then? Most folks I know ---WOULD, go to the ER when they are in dire straights.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:55 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,879,143 times
Quote:
His facebook page tells the story.

He was given fentanyl (pain killer) instead of the antibiotics they intended to give him.

https://www.facebook.com/bdeon2
To assume that information posted on that well known and highly regarded medical journal Facebook is any more or less accurate than anything else published elsewhere is a big mistake. Multiple institutions and agencies are investigating the circumstances. Why not hold all the rhetoric, hyperbole and speculation until the results are released?

Old 01-23-2020, 05:12 AM

23,910 posts, read 33,712,320 times
Looks like this death is at the same hospital. Again, they gave fentanyl.

Young mother dies after being admitted into Memorial Hospital in Bakersfield
Posted: 7:47 PM, Jan 13, 2020
Updated: 6:49 PM, Jan 14, 2020
Quote:
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — A family is devastated and traumatized after they say their loved one died after being admitted into Memorial Hospital in Bakersfield.

Her mother asked what she was giving her and she (the nurse) said, "I gave her 100 milliliters of Fentanyl ," said Mariah Borgna, a family member of De La Rosa. Borgna said that's how the family found out the dosage and the name of the pain medication that was administered.

Within the hour additional pain medication was administered through an IV drip. Approximately an hour later family members said De La Rosa passed out and went into a seizure. De La Rosa was unresponsive, and her family said nurses filled the room to begin performing CPR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
well ones things for sure, when they get the hospital bill, then they will know the meds and dosage.

Lotsa luck getting the transcript of the Doctors Notes/medical trauma team.

S.O.P is to use steroids for the lungs to ease the respiratory distress . Which I tend to AVOID as they are a death trap to my system.

I agree some of the information out there being posted by the family maybe misconstrued.

I appreciated the chuckle though from someone stating...Ohh he was in bad shape when he got there. No kidding, really? So him going to the Emergency room was pointless then? Most folks I know ---WOULD, go to the ER when they are in dire straights.
I didn't say it was pointless that he went to the ER. My point was he waited until he was close to death to go. I also said I wonder if he would have survived had they not screwed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events