Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 03:25 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
On the other hand, shopping now vs later lessens the chance of getting sick. Right now, few people have it. hoarding = not having to go to the stores when the infection rate is much higher.

So far, since I mainly use delivery, it's looking like I'm soon not going to be able to get next day delivery of groceries. Either tons more people are using it, or drivers are already calling off. I had a hard time getting a slot for today. One would be available and before I could press 'ok' it was gone. Was trying for 10:AM and got pushed to 5m.
In many European countries, it is customary for the shopkeeper to select fruit or vegetables for the customer. They do not want your dirty hands on their produce. It really is unsanitary. Here, we typically poke and prod to make our selection. Sure, it's a good idea to always wash your produce but with a virus this virulent even bringing it into your kitchen is a yuck.

Those at high risk who plan to social distance absolutely should prepare. Why not? The goal is both to reduce personal risk and to lessen the chance of becoming another statistic that overburdens the medical system. In fact, the CDC specifically requested older adults and the immuno-suppressed to "stock up" a few days ago.

Those who continue to circulate in the community and are low-risk can shop more frequently. Here, the CDC only recommends a two week supply in case of individual quarantine.

Preparation is key. We've seen few shortages here. I've been purchasing a little more than usual for about 6 weeks, to "smooth" out a draw from the supply chain. We literally had nothing in the house! It's the folks who do nothing then overreact and try to make up for lost time that create the problems.

Heavier than usual shopping started in our area yesterday afternoon.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:27 PM

3,255 posts, read 2,342,420 times
Everyone should listen to the speech the President and others made this afternoon. I found it to be reassuring. Private companies are working with the government to do some great things, FAST.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:28 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
If someone has it, they can quarantine themselves and their close associates/family right away. It would limit the spread.
If there is a cluster in an area, known to be by testing, that area might get more attention or local/gov't resources to help the area contain it better.
But my question remains. If there is no treatment, or cure, and most people who have it are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, what difference does it make? Of course, nursing homes and those elderly who have underlying conditions should be extra vigilant. But those folks should be extra vigilant about all germs and viruses.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
I haven't seen any heavier than usual shopping but I haven't really taken stock today. Yesterday I ran out and "stockpiled" three big bags of dogfood and some doggie treats - I mean, I had some but I can't imagine these two idiots going without, let alone getting spoiled to "people food." Especially not MY food - LOL!

Anyway, I noticed two things - 1) the stores were markedly UN busy - not empty but definitely not their usual busy pace, and 2) there were no wipes or hand sanitizers in sight, but there was still plenty of toilet paper!

Also, plenty of dog food.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:31 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
40% of beer drinkers are afraid to drink Corona.

People in the UK are dumping their pets for fear of catching it from them.

Lord save us from the stupid people!

That makes me so mad! I can't remember which disease outbreak it was, but the Chinese government went around killing people's pets. And here in the 1916 polio epidemic, a rumor went around that you could get it from cats and dogs, leading to mass killing of pets. I don't care if people hoard TP, but this really upsets me.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
But my question remains. If there is no treatment, or cure, and most people who have it are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, what difference does it make? Of course, nursing homes and those elderly who have underlying conditions should be extra vigilant. But those folks should be extra vigilant about all germs and viruses.
Because someone that has mild or even no symptoms can pass it on to someone that has daily contact with those who are more at risk like a nurse, or even a janitor at a nursing home. Those who are in assisted living don't get to pick and choose who works there, or who is treating them.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That makes me so mad! I can't remember which disease outbreak it was, but the Chinese government went around killing people's pets. And here in the 1916 polio epidemic, a rumor went around that you could get it from cats and dogs, leading to mass killing of pets. I don't care if people hoard TP, but this really upsets me.
It does me too. Most pets that go to the shelter don't make it out alive, and they are so freaking sad. Devastated.

The one I adopted from there was 'shut down'. Didn't even lift her ears or wag her tail when I visited. I think she was tired of trying and being rejected.

Lost her mind with happiness when I took her out! Barked at all the other doggos - 'I got adopted, I got adopted!'

Old 03-13-2020, 03:35 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
LOL! I thought I had TP. NOPE. walmart grocery just told me they took it out of my order..........................I will be reduced to accepting some from my friend who stocked up. LOLOLOLOLOLOL this is nuts. NUTS!

UGH I hate to do it. HATE IT. She doesn't mind, but I do.
I took food to an elderly disabled friend the other day. There was an extra small pack of TP in the car that I'd bought to use up a $5 coupon. She didn't want to accept it saying, I still have 9 rolls. That was "enough."

My friend doesn't quite realize, I think, that this will drag on. Of course, I insisted. I'm going to see if I can get her set up with online ordering. She lives some distance from me - and then we're trying to now avoid shopping.

It probably is a good idea to use bleach water to spray delivered boxes before opening them - and maybe to spray various items. We haven't yet done that, having tried to stock up early. I left a bottle of Clorox with her. She looked at me like I was crazy.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:36 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Because someone that has mild or even no symptoms can pass it on to someone that has daily contact with those who are more at risk like a nurse, or even a janitor at a nursing home. Those who are in assisted living don't get to pick and choose who works there, or who is treating them.
This is what people who refuse to be inconvenienced fail to understand.

We have too many people upset over what are mere INCONVENIENCES.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:37 PM

3,255 posts, read 2,342,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The infected person might also pass it on to an elderly relative or neighbor before they even know they have it. Also, who wants to have a nasty flu for a week or two? I had the flu once 25 years ago and it was miserable. I was so sick, felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I never missed a flu shot after that! And I sure don't want coronavirus which is even worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events