Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 03:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Although this virus did come from China and it's the fault of the government for covering it up, people will want payback. A lot of Asian businesses will go under. Random violence will escalate. Time for Trump to stop calling this the Chinese virus only because there will be innocents who are going to be assaulted or possibly murdered for retaliation.
Did he say that again today? We were at a dr's appointment when he came on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I'm sure they are just in plain sight,. A man I used to work for was from Madrid, paler than I am. Nothing to mark him out as Spanish other than the lispy spanish accent.

800,000 according to Wikipedia.
Here's a Wiki article about Spanish in the US. Keep in mind, some Hispanics, especially older Hispanics, call themselves "Spanish".

Old 03-20-2020, 03:12 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That is why I don't understand why people keep wanting to go out to the store for fresh produce. Not just because of stupid teens, but any unwrapped foods have been breathed on by any number of people. Not for me.
That's what I was thinking as well. The last thing I'm going to buy if I can help it is fresh produce right now. It's too exposed and no one knows who has handled it. Of course if it's items you cook, that's different. Fruits and vegetables eaten raw are not what I would reach for.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:13 PM

259 posts, read 166,182 times
Man I'm in a tough spot. My dad is 75 and lives alone with the dog since my mom died a couple years ago. I'm doing telemental from home starting today. He lives in a small town in a neighboring state with no cases so far. I'm scared to visit him because he has high blood pressure. I have had a scratchy throat and slight cough after I go outside or eat or drink something which I'm sure is just seasonal allergies as the pollen count is so high. No fever or anything but I'm afraid to go and see him honestly.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:15 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I will never give up eating in Chinese restaurants. Love that stuff too much.

I know, me too! And we just recently discovered an awesome one right down the road from us, I'm already worried about them staying in business. 2 months ago there was so many people in and out picking up food, and last time it was empty.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:15 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Although this virus did come from China and it's the fault of the government for covering it up, people will want payback. A lot of Asian businesses will go under. Random violence will escalate. Time for Trump to stop calling this the Chinese virus only because there will be innocents who are going to be assaulted or possibly murdered for retaliation.
This is just nonsense. I live in a state with a lot of SE Asians. No one is blaming them. They are in the same situation as everyone else here.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborne39 View Post
Man I'm in a tough spot. My dad is 75 and lives alone with the dog since my mom died a couple years ago. I'm doing telemental from home starting today. He lives in a small town in a neighboring state with no cases so far. I'm scared to visit him because he has high blood pressure. I have had a scratchy throat and slight cough after I go outside or eat or drink something which I'm sure is just seasonal allergies as the pollen count is so high. No fever or anything but I'm afraid to go and see him honestly.
I would not risk it.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborne39 View Post

It's hard. Last two times I saw my mother to drop off laundry I said as soon as I walked in "I can't kiss or hug you". Someone on caregiving suggested an Echo Show or similar, so we can still "see" each other. I can't really do that now as her ALF stopped visitors and I don't trust the staff to be able to/have time to set it up or teacher her about it, but it might be a good option for now in your case.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Maybe all Britons don't have the 'flu jab'
No, they don't. And you know this. I quoted the exact line from your article where they say who gets the flu shot. You conveniently decided to delete that section from your reply to me since it doesn't go along with your conspiracy theory.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
[/color][/b]

You give Americans very little credit. The knuckle draggers and ghetto rats will blame Asians but most Americans will not.

I hope not, but Mexican people have definitely gotten grief the last few years, and after 9/11 anyone who looked remotely Middle Eastern got abused. I remember stories about even Pakistani and Indian-Americans getting stores burned down, etc by people who blamed them for terrorism.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:22 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I worry about that too. Will be similar to how we treated Japanese-Americans in WWII.
You can exclude me from your "we".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events