Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 07:27 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Can I Get Coronavirus From Food? Scientists Say Yes and to Step Away From the Deli Meats.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a...=IwAR1bLK2mIfD

Research has confirmed the coronavirus can survive on hard surfaces, like plastic and metal, for days. But it turns out, food can also be a carrier of the contagious respiratory illness, especially items like deli meats, salads, and certain fruits.

“Moist, semi-solid foods are a wonderful medium for microbes and can boost the longevity of the virus,” said Dr. Jack Caravanos, a clinical professor at New York University’s School of Global Public Health. “It’s as good of an environment for the virus as your mouth.”
Wow thanks for posting that!

Old 03-21-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Everyone dying of disease? What?

Sounds kind of science fiction-y.

A disease that kills its host that effectively can’t spread very easily. That’s one of nature’s checks and balances.
The Black Plague didn’t know that rule, neither did Ebola. Nor AIDS for that matter, which was very much a death sentence until we discovered drugs to combat it.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:33 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Recovered patients may still be contagious up to 5 weeks after symptoms disappear.
Interesting note...only 6% were smokers. High Blood pressure was 30% of patients

Here is the research article:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...3/fulltext#%20

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ow-organic&cmp
Patients with the new coronavirus keep the pathogen in their respiratory tract for as long as 37 days, a new study found, suggesting they could remain infectious for many weeks.
Currently, the recommended isolation period after exposure is 14 days to avoid spreading the virus. But if people remain contagious long after their symptoms have vanished, they may unwittingly propagate the pathogen after they return from quarantine.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Interesting opinion, obviously I don't think it will happen:

We need an immediate five-week national lockdown to defeat coronavirus in America

During a five-week national lockdown, federal, state and local authorities would ensure that all Americans stay home except to obtain food and other essentials, access medical care, or do work essential to the functioning of society. Travel would cease: We would close our borders and airports and prohibit all unnecessary travel across state and county (or town) lines within the United States. The U.S. government would have to provide aid to citizens separated from their sources of income and ensure care for vulnerable members of society.

During the first two weeks of a lockdown, infected individuals will either recover from mild cases of COVID-19 at home or seek medical attention for the 14% of cases that are severe. During the third, fourth and fifth weeks, any newly infected family or cohabitants of infected individuals will recover or seek medical attention and their isolation will prevent further spreading. By the end of the lockdown, the number of infections will be a small fraction of what they are now.

The human and economic costs of delaying this lockdown will be staggering. The COVID-19 outbreak has many more cases now than are visible (tip of the iceberg) and they are growing rapidly. Absent sufficiently effective intervention, new cases will increase 1.3 to 1.5 times each day. We had almost 20,000 cases in the United States on Friday, over 5,800 more cases than the previous day. Without a lockdown, in one week there will be about 200,000. In two weeks: 2,000,000. One in seven cases require hospitalization and 5% require ICU care with ventilators to survive. There aren’t nearly enough ventilators available.
sounds like a wage and tax freeze... as soon as you lift it the virus takes off again.........

Old 03-21-2020, 07:35 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
All these make sense ^^^.

Like Katharsis, I've wondered and I've done little actual sanitizing these days since we've only been out in our yard. We are, however, now discarding outer containers and paying attention to new items coming into the house - either immediately washing them with soap and water or setting them into a bin for a few days.

Sometime you hear talk of 'viral load' and my self-explanation (correct?) is that most immune systems will deal with occasional viral spores. So we (or will) upgrade somewhat. Maybe more general cleaning or the kitchen table and cutting counter or the car (this time with diluted bleach or alcohol wipes). Hopefully that low key effort combined with the immune system will help counter the inevitable 'goofs.' As others mention, cross-contamination probably is not the major venue of infection.

What we will be doing is undertaking a good and sadly well-needed house cleaning using normal cleaning products. It's pretty hard to sanitize over dust. That way if either of us does become ill it will be that much easier to move on to effective and more intense disinfection.

My attitude to this entire mess is to find good information, do the best you can, and then what will be will be.
That's the approach we are taking. I am probably more obsessed with cleaning than my husband, but that is par for the course and not something I can control 24/7 anyway.

Trying to do everything "perfectly" is generally demoralizing and paralyzing. Something is always better than nothing, but I agree with your comments about viral load as well and have heard more than one expert say things to this effect.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Get one of these — if you still can: https://www.amazon.com/C200-ELONGATE...s%2C388&sr=8-1

Drastically reduces toilet paper usage and much more hygienic.
Should I post one of those videos showing how to use just one sheet of TP?

Old 03-21-2020, 07:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Get one of these — if you still can: https://www.amazon.com/C200-ELONGATE...s%2C388&sr=8-1

These are very common in Asia that's why they don't have a paper towel shortage like we do. Europe and US are the only countries not to adopt these things that reduce paper use. Sometimes I go a public rest room and see the amount of paper waste that are jamming up a toilet, it is scary how much paper some people waste.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
However, it seems that most of the media and a lot of posters here are non-stop doom and gloom. They seem almost gleefully hopeful that the death rate will climb to catastrophic proportions. The reason they want this to happen, I have no idea but I've noticed no matter how hopeful someone is that we'll get through this, at least 2-3 posters will respond with a post filled with dire predictions. It's like they want us to do nothing but what they're doing - focused solely on DOOM AND GLOOM. However, some of us look for the silver lining in the gray cloud. The silver lining in this situation is that in spite of everything, so far overall very few lives have been lost in our country to COVID-19.
Look on the bright side; the coronavirus may solve the Social Security problem.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There is the option of catching CV19.......
Probably an appropriate time for me to insert my conspiracy theory that the banning of DDT is the cause of the resurgence in ticks,mites,bedbugs and Viruses............

Old 03-21-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:

You don’t need one that cost that much. I bought a $250 one when we moved into our home, only to discover you need an outlet next to the toilet to even use it. It’s sitting in the attic 3 years after I bought it.

I bought this kind several years ago before a back surgery. It works perfectly. It hooks up to the toilet tank in five minutes. They seem to be running out, and many of the delivery dates now or in May, but some of them including this one can come as soon as April 17 if you get expedited delivery.

https://smile.amazon.com/SSEDEW-Mech...fix=bid&sr=8-9

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-21-2020 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events