Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 07:56 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
From that link:

Actually, they do know those things now -- I've already posted the test results, CD won't let me reattach them here.
I saw the chart you posted on half life at various temps and humidity. My simplified understanding of "half life" means it is still viable but basically at half strength.

Your chart doesn't tell me anything about how the virus survives on various surfaces, which is what I need to know for items I bring into my house.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:07 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
There's a couple of C-D'ers who got funding. We didn't yet. Hopefully ours will go through this time!

I just saw where they are going to ask companies who didn't need the funds to send them back. It's horrible. Some of us have lost nearly all our income and other businesses who haven't been impacted take the money. There's actually a statement on the app that asks if your business has been impacted so it's fraud.
They are doing that because big chains like Steak ‘n Shake and Ruth’s Chris got millions of dollars from the first batch. That’s who they are talking to. Lobbyists got a loophole written into the first bill (not sure about this one) that allowed each location of a corporate restaurant or hotel chain to apply as its own small business. So even though Ruth’s Chris has 5700 employees and made $420 million last year, they were able to get $20,000,000 from the small business funds. Wall Street hedge funds worth millions got bumped to the front of the line due to their law firms getting them in plans their existing relationships with the banks. Banks felt they were more lucrative loans to make and gave them priority.

By the time these wealthy players got done feeding at the trough, there was nothing left for Debbie’s Nail Salon. Steak and Shake gave back the $10,000,000 they got. But its been an embarrassment for the White House. This time concessions were at least agreed to give more of the money to smaller banks and lenders including online lenders vs giving it all to the Wells Fargo’s and other big banks. But that’s why that request is there now.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:09 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I would - if only I could find bleach.
Bleach was initially unavailable and now cleaning wipes are unavailable. Bleach is plentiful. I bet these things will go in cycles.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:13 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Once upon a time during a freezer sale, they offered to fill it up with meat for you. Mom said I should always hold out for such a sale, but I never saw it again.

I forever wanted a chest freezer in the apartments. There were thoughts of where to put it, of maybe putting it in the living room and covering it with table cloth but that was ambitious and they never came about. Then when the ranch house was designed, the chest freezer went into the plans.

Good sales are right. Not so much with the meat but with candy after the holiday (for my divers) and the day old bread at Wally World.

Now, most of the room is taken up by about 2 gallons of milk. When Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, there was a chest freezer in that house. Mom would buy fresh milk, day old milk, and skim and freeze a lot of it. Growing up, we always had a freezer of one kind or another in the house. Mom & Dad in their last years were Sam's Club people, so there were lots of hors'dvors in their standing freezer......and day old bread.

Of course as noted before, when I couldn't get powdered butter milk at a point in this crisis, I substituted the real stuff. Measured it out into cup servings, baggied it, put the baggies into a pitcher, and then froze them in the freezer.

So having a freezer gives one more options.
What a amazing deal, buying a freezer and they fill it up with meat!!! In the past, there were more generous deals - I remember banks giving you a TV set because you opened a new account - that's how I got my first TV when my parents got a TV set from opening some kind of account. Those deals were so good, now thinking back, you think you dreamed it.

The chest freezer can really help save money, lots of times you would see something on sale and then you think but my freezer is already stuffed so you don't buy as many but the extra freezer frees up space and you could buy a lot more of the good deal. Even like you mentioned bread and milk, but things you baked and make ahead dinners, such a convenience. When your freezer is stuffed to the gills, you lose money by forgetting what foods you have in there because out of sight is out of mind or you have to excavate your freezer and what a pain is that - taking stuff out of it, just to find something buried in the back.

I liked how you got creative with the powered butter milk and substituted the real stuff, putting it in baggies and into the pitcher - your system covered all the bases, no leakage and it's ready when you are. We have to really be creative problem solvers during this time.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:21 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They are doing that because big chains like Steak ‘n Shake and Ruth’s Chris...
It wasn't Steak N Shake. I believe it was a place called Shake Shack.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:22 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, I will update the thread for sure!

"Hope for the best but prepare for the worst" is a good motto.

Hence, the stash of toilet paper and dog food - and light bulbs, because you know...I want light bulbs.
I like that motto! I don't think you will have to wait long

Light bulbs! Batteries, too - got to put them on my list.

Quote:
Exactly. It's common sense that the more dense a population is, the higher the incidence of COVID 19 goes.

I read somewhere that one in every 36 Americans lives in the NYC metro area.
I didn't know that one in every 36 Americans lived in the NYC area. It is too crowded. People are all on top of each other, crowds, etc. I would be a nervous wreck on the trains.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:27 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
What a amazing deal, buying a freezer and they fill it up with meat!!! In the past, there were more generous deals - I remember banks giving you a TV set because you opened a new account - that's how I got my first TV when my parents got a TV set from opening some kind of account. Those deals were so good, now thinking back, you think you dreamed it.

The chest freezer can really help save money, lots of times you would see something on sale and then you think but my freezer is already stuffed so you don't buy as many but the extra freezer frees up space and you could buy a lot more of the good deal. Even like you mentioned bread and milk, but things you baked and make ahead dinners, such a convenience. When your freezer is stuffed to the gills, you lose money by forgetting what foods you have in there because out of sight is out of mind or you have to excavate your freezer and what a pain is that - taking stuff out of it, just to find something buried in the back.

I liked how you got creative with the powered butter milk and substituted the real stuff, putting it in baggies and into the pitcher - your system covered all the bases, no leakage and it's ready when you are. We have to really be creative problem solvers during this time.
I guess I am weird, but I prefer fresh meat if I can get it.

I have a "side by side" freezer/fridge and really need more freezer space. With that said, a big freezer for a single guy is wasteful. Uncooked frozen meat, other than seafood, tends to be emergency food.

The more goes in the freezer, aside from certain things, the less comes out.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
They won't take my plasma. Apparently I'm a mad cow.
They wouldn't want your plasma because you didn't have COVID19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Bleach was initially unavailable and now cleaning wipes are unavailable. Bleach is plentiful. I bet these things will go in cycles.
Around here, cleaning wipes were the first to go. Bleach wasn't missing from shelves until the end of March. I have a few things of bleach because my husband would pick one up each week when he went to the store, always shocked that no one else was buying it. I thought it was odd too, I'd much rather use bleach to disinfect than a wipe.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:31 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post

Banks still have offers for new accounts.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It wasn't Steak N Shake. I believe it was a place called Shake Shack.
I think Steak n Shake could have actually used the loan. All the stores around me closed due to debt. But that was a few months ago, maybe even a year ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events