Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 05:38 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
There is NO proof against my more realistic theory.

Scientists are failing and have failed against nature. They do like to pretend they are in control however. Sure.
There are more educated hypotheses. No scientist thinks they are in control of nature, just the opposite.

Matter of fact, all the ones that are leading the charge, never make such arrogant claims as you have above

I believe you are from FluTrackers IIRC? Though I may be confusing you with another poster.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-16-2021, 05:41 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if government wasnt involved, it would just be get the vaccine in as many people as possible and people wouldnt think their opinions mattered.

I can't see that ever being the case, on ANY subject.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-16-2021, 05:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't see that ever being the case, on ANY subject.
i think pretty much any product or service provided privately doesnt have input from the general public. just the end users.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:20 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
True. My BF is a building inspector - he does fire inspections as well as 4 other types. He has to inspect all kinds of places, including nursing homes. He has to go inside homes. He HAS to. Just like police. Just like firemen. I am fine with these people being at the front of the line, just like health care workers and teachers.
The problem comes when too many want to be prioritized at the same time.

Inspectors are 1A here under the county priority system - before those aged 75 and over and teachers. But not apparently under the state definition of "public safety workers" that are defined as: "Law enforcement, and firefighters, EMS, and other first responders / Correctional healthcare staff and officers."

Coincidentally, I was just reading an article how county inspectors (Department of Permitting Services) received "hazard" pay for any time spent out in public. One-half falsified their records claiming hazard pay when working from home which was 50% of their total work time.

Hazard pay has just been ended since there's no consistent source of funding. The public employee union wants it restored if stimulus money comes through - vaccinations now apparently irrelevant. In the interim, hazard pay for grocery store clerks who are front facing 100% of the time ended months ago.

I'm really beginning to get jaded. Still, this has been interesting to watch. Never before paid much attention to county politics.

Most involved meant well and are doing their best. But for the county to put together this highly elaborate plan then go to battle with the governor with no understanding that the resulting chaos would not be well received by the public was naive at best. He actually expected the hospitals to place their state-allocated vaccine supplies under his control to follow his "fair and equitable" plan he called superior to the governor's. Then rails against the public for not "following the rules" (most of which they don't understand).

The sad part is that often the best intentioned and highly important efforts still don't work out well. For example, I totally agree there needs to be major outreach to underserved minority groups and for those who have limited access to the internet. The state just opened its first mass vaccination site the next county over. Local residents - heavily minority - were prioritized. The state hired contractors to call those from a preregistration list. Up to THREE times. For some reason, the effort generated only 90 appointments.

The state then opened appointments to any state resident who qualified under the state priority system, which includes 65 to 74. 10,000 appointments filled in 20 minutes.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:54 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Our vaccination program starts next Monday, the first Pfizer have arrived and the AstraZenica was approved on Monday. The states will be given the majority to start to vaccinate border and quarantine staff. The federal government will distribute to aged and disability care workers and residents. That will be a logistical nightmare given the temperature requirements, lots of transporting people to the major hospitals for the Pfizer.

I am waiting to see who will get the first jab!
Apparently, according to link below, vaccination teams will go out to aged care and disability care facilities. These teams will be managed by the Australian (Federal) Government.

I saw something on TV the other day about 70 (or some such number) special freezer units being stored in a DHL warehouse ready for the roll-out. Presumably these will be trucked around to the aged/disability care facilities so residents and staff can be vaccinated in situ.

https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...be-distributed

Old 02-16-2021, 07:04 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Looks like Australia has already gotten over the second hump, so the vaccine will probably have little meaning really. I suspect like I have stated earlier that COVID is on its way out. Have a look at how few COVID cases there are now where you are. Might as well open up for the Australian Open and enjoy life.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...d-case-numbers
Australians love to travel overseas and people living overseas love to travel here so the vaccine will have a LOT of meaning, both to Aussies who plan to travel o/s and those who don't travel but will inevitably run into tourists seeing our sights etc.

I don't think many of us would be willing, at this time, to take the chance that Covid is on the way out.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:09 PM

6,812 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Medical students do go into hospitals on a regular basis. That is how they learn clinical medicine.

Some of them, some of the time. She's supposedly 2nd year and I don't think they're in hospitals at that stage yet.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:18 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Australians love to travel overseas and people living overseas love to travel here so the vaccine will have a LOT of meaning, both to Aussies who plan to travel o/s and those who don't travel but will inevitably run into tourists seeing our sights etc.

I don't think many of us would be willing, at this time, to take the chance that Covid is on the way out.
curious. My wife has relatives in Australia......when do you think you will be able to travel to the united states?

Old 02-16-2021, 07:22 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The problem comes when too many want to be prioritized at the same time.

Inspectors are 1A here under the county priority system - before those aged 75 and over and teachers. But not apparently under the state definition of "public safety workers" that are defined as: "Law enforcement, and firefighters, EMS, and other first responders / Correctional healthcare staff and officers."

Coincidentally, I was just reading an article how county inspectors (Department of Permitting Services) received "hazard" pay for any time spent out in public. One-half falsified their records claiming hazard pay when working from home which was 50% of their total work time.

Hazard pay has just been ended since there's no consistent source of funding. The public employee union wants it restored if stimulus money comes through - vaccinations now apparently irrelevant. In the interim, hazard pay for grocery store clerks who are front facing 100% of the time ended months ago.

I'm really beginning to get jaded. Still, this has been interesting to watch. Never before paid much attention to county politics.

Most involved meant well and are doing their best. But for the county to put together this highly elaborate plan then go to battle with the governor with no understanding that the resulting chaos would not be well received by the public was naive at best. He actually expected the hospitals to place their state-allocated vaccine supplies under his control to follow his "fair and equitable" plan he called superior to the governor's. Then rails against the public for not "following the rules" (most of which they don't understand).

The sad part is that often the best intentioned and highly important efforts still don't work out well. For example, I totally agree there needs to be major outreach to underserved minority groups and for those who have limited access to the internet. The state just opened its first mass vaccination site the next county over. Local residents - heavily minority - were prioritized. The state hired contractors to call those from a preregistration list. Up to THREE times. For some reason, the effort generated only 90 appointments.

The state then opened appointments to any state resident who qualified under the state priority system, which includes 65 to 74. 10,000 appointments filled in 20 minutes.
Hazard pay? That’s pretty funny. He certainly has no such deal, never did. But he can get called up at 2 AM to go do an inspection…for a building fire. And he gets paid not one cent more for that. Just part of the job.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:25 PM

6,812 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Apparently, according to link below, vaccination teams will go out to aged care and disability care facilities. These teams will be managed by the Australian (Federal) Government.

I saw something on TV the other day about 70 (or some such number) special freezer units being stored in a DHL warehouse ready for the roll-out. Presumably these will be trucked around to the aged/disability care facilities so residents and staff can be vaccinated in situ.

https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...be-distributed

Judging by how all the little outbreaks in Australia started in the last year I'd probably give it to hotel and airport staff as a priority as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events