Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 07:36 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times

Advertisements

Me, personally at 17 yrs old, I would have counted down from 5 to give him a fair warning and then proceeded to pull forward. What ever happens after that just happens. It he stood there then so be it. If he shoots then so be it. We'll both be some dead people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 10:45 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
"Public schools are literal prisons for children and the only place many people will experience violence in their lives." - Michael Malice

Old 02-13-2020, 01:44 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
But he was not attending school that day and was therefore not in the jurisdiction of the school at the time the officer detained him
Every single person who walks onto school property is in the jurisdiction of the school. If a senior citizen enters the school property, by law, they have to follow school procedures.

This has already been discussed in https://www.city-data.com/forum/educ...ve-school.html

Old 02-13-2020, 01:48 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Every single person who walks onto school property is in the jurisdiction of the school. If a senior citizen enters the school property, by law, they have to follow school procedures.

This has already been discussed in https://www.city-data.com/forum/educ...ve-school.html
I call BS. Do you have a link to the law for that? There is nothing in that thread that backs up what you say.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:31 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I call BS. Do you have a link to the law for that? There is nothing in that thread that backs up what you say.
I can not even believe that I need to post something so commonly known.

Quote:
Property That Is Open to the Public for a Limited Purpose

Your right to access government-owned property that is only partially open to the public is a bit more limited. If the general public is permitted to access only certain areas or for certain limited purposes, you right to access the property for news gathering purposes is similarly limited. For example, some parts of a courthouse are open to the general public, but portions of the courtrooms themselves are accessible only by the parties in the litigation and judges' chambers are completely off limits to the public.

Remember that because public schools are not entirely public forums, school administrators often have the discretion to restrict the entry of outsiders, particularly while the school is in session. Check in with the school administration before entering school grounds or you may be liable for trespass. Additionally, some states laws prohibit people from loitering within a certain distance while school is in session. These "school loitering laws" are mainly aimed at keeping sexual predators and drug dealers away from schoolchildren, but be aware that their language may be broad enough to cover lawful or innocent activity as well.
https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/access-public-property

Old 02-13-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I can not even believe that I need to post something so commonly known.

https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/access-public-property
That only says they can restrict access. You claimed they have jurisdiction over every single person who enters, and that a senior citizen entering the school property is required to follow school procedures. Which is totally ridiculous. If a senior citizen enters a school, the school administration can tell that person, one thing and one thing only, to leave. Nothing else. School procedures don't apply to non-students.

Which is important, because you totally exaggerated the schools powers. I can't believe I need to post something so commonly known to you. BTW you should probably look up the meaning of the word "jurisdiction".

Old 02-13-2020, 05:10 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
True, on the surface of it. But the teen threatened the officer's life by driving his truck right at the officer, who was standing in the roadway blocking his path. He didn't pull out a gun until that occurred. The teen pushed the envelope, escalating the situation.

That detail does make a difference to the story. Officers are trained to defend themselves when threatened. Although there was no "law" the teen was breaking, so the entire scenario was overblown from the start. But still, it was a bad choice by the teen to try to use his truck as a weapon to intimidate or threaten the officer.
That's the problem - DE-ESCALATION is what officers should be trained in, especially a SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICER. Get the he|| out of the way, that's the answer here. It's like crazy officers starting a high speed chase that puts dozens of people in danger for a petty violation. Because they just can't let anyone get away with anything - that's ego rather than looking after the public safety and being smart about costs versus benefits.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We used to leave school all the time in the 90s, we would wait until everyone was in class and then just walk right out one of the side or back doors, it was always easy to leave school.

We never got in trouble for it, even when we walked everywhere (before any of us could drive), no police ever stopped us to ask what we were doing.
We did it in the seventies, but, every school around here has a police presence most of the day. It’s a whole different world.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
cop belongs in prison. the school doesnt have the right to hold a kid hostage. that is kidnapping. kid can say whatever he wants to them, he isnt interrupting a class is he? he is trying to leave and they are illegally holding him captive, he can say what he wants and even attack them to get free if necessary.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 02-13-2020 at 06:14 PM..

Old 02-13-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That's the problem - DE-ESCALATION is what officers should be trained in, especially a SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICER. Get the he|| out of the way, that's the answer here. It's like crazy officers starting a high speed chase that puts dozens of people in danger for a petty violation. Because they just can't let anyone get away with anything - that's ego rather than looking after the public safety and being smart about costs versus benefits.
I think that cop was just itching to shoot the kid. He was doing everything he could to provoke the kid to do something stupid. These cops are mostly military veterans, who probably didn't get a chance to kill anybody in the service, so they are still trying to get their chance.

If you are in the street and a car starts moving towards you, what is your first reaction? To stand your ground? I don't think so. My first reaction is to get the hell out of the path of the car. This shoot the driver thing, is one of the biggest scams cops play. Even if the kid drove his truck towards the cop, and the cop shot him, it would have still not stopped the truck from running him over. Shooting the driver of a car is not a legitimate self-defence. Many law enforcement agencies prohibit cops from shooting at drivers for that very reason. Not that they care if a citizen gets shot, but they don't want their officers to get run over, after the shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events