Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 09:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,948,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Both acted like immature fools. Neither of them deserve anything except a permanent ban from flying.
I don't think a permanent ban is in order at this point, but maybe the next time they book an airline flight, there should be a red flag warning from the FAA that they've been cautioned, and another similar incident will result in a year long ban? Both of them were behaving in a way that causes concern.

On a personal level, she really irritates me, but to be fair he was out of line also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 09:52 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,115 times
I believe this is what happens when two jerks sit close to one another, he definitely was a jerk to hit the back of her seat, but I wouldn’t be surprised that she kept doing it to antagonize him.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't find that video, and I'm sure you're characterizing it correctly. Can you post a link? All I can find is a video of a very gentle back and forth - the kind of thing you'd experience on a flight with a little turbulence, or in the backseat of a bus on a little bit of a bumpy road.

Can you find and post the video you're referring to?
There is nothing "very gentle back and forth" about how he was hitting the seat. You can see her being bumped forward each time he hits the seat. He was punching the rear of the seat - the force is coming from directly behind her head - not like "a flight with a little turbulence". The only "turbulence" was coming from behind her seat.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I believe this is what happens when two jerks sit close to one another, he definitely was a jerk to hit the back of her seat, but I wouldn’t be surprised that she kept doing it to antagonize him.
I totally agree. This is what happens when two fools collide.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:52 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Both these passengers are rude. My policy on a plane is to get an alcoholic drink (or 2), put on headphones, never recline my seat, and never care if the seat in front of me reclines. I just want to get it over with. Flying is annoying.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:52 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What did she do wrong?

The seats are made to recline. If the airline doesn't want passengers to use the recline feature then they need to fix the seats to be stationary.

That man-child was punching her seat repeatedly then the FA tried to force her to delete the recording of it.
Since we have video proof he was hitting the seat back it isn't a stretch to believe that he initially punched it hard.
I think the FA knew this was going to blow up on them, so they wanted the evidence gone. They tried to intimidate her into deleting the video by serving her with a Passenger Disturbance Notice. Apparently for threatening, intimidating, or interfering with a crew member, AKA refusing to delete the evidence. I wouldn't be surprised if the FAs were following their training to do that.

The airlines are just racketeers. They created a situation where passengers have to literally fight each other for space. Then when things like this happen, they use thug tactics to intimidate a passenger into deleting the evidence. When that fails, as in this case, they have a customer service representative reach out to passenger to see if a financial arrangement can be worked out to keep the passenger quiet. It's too late for even that now.

If the FA had been successful in forcing her to delete the evidence, that would have been the end of the story. I wonder how many times that happens?

Just one of the many reasons I will never fly anywhere again. Short of winning an all expense paid vacation to someplace really interesting. And then it had better be first class travel, with a guarantee the airline won't treat me like garbage.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:57 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
The airlines should lock these seats upright permanently. I'm sure everyone could survive without reclining.
Yes. But there are many things airlines *should* do (I am looking at you, Delta gate agents, who allow people to bring on guitar cases and full size suitcases as "carryon" luggage, leaving the FAs and other customers to deal with in on the plane).

But it is a race to the bottom in that industry. If I can drive it in under eight hours, no way do I fly it.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:52 AM

11,443 posts, read 625,479 times
She should have been more respectul of his limited space but here again is another example of people not caring about others.....

Thats the only thing I see she may have done wrong..... (Not be respectful)

Old 02-18-2020, 05:19 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/ameri...-assault-punch

Wendi Williams, returning from a teacher's conference, was sitting in the second to last row, with a seat that reclined. The man sitting behind her had a seat that could not be reclined. When she insisted upon reclining her seat, thus cramping his limited space, despite his having asked her not to, on a New Orleans to Charlotte flight, he retaliated by jiggling her seatback with his hand, thus disturbing her, as she was disturbing him. She videotaped what he was doing - it's in the link. She claims that before she videotaped him, he was punching her seatback, very hard (which surely would have caused him great pain, since the seat back is hard plastic, whereas the front of the seat would be comfortably cushioned).

Now she is claiming that he "punched" the back of her seat, and is looking for a way to press charges against him. She'd already gotten the stewardess fired for trying to defuse the situation by offering the man a free drink, and giving her a disruptive passenger card.

She's a teacher. I'm sure glad she's not teaching my child. She may find that this all backfires on her.
I'm 6'6" so when people lean the seatback, I have no room for my legs and knees. The guy was a jerk about it but not sure it's legally actionable.

I had to fly 16 hours in the middle seat one time from Dubai to Seattle and the guy in front of m (who was about 5'3") put his seat back all the way for the entire flight....irritating and supremely uncomfortable but also his right.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:30 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,757,431 times
I don't like people reclining in front of me and assume others don't like it either so I avoid doing so.

One of the longer flights I was on, a lady next to me repeatedly pushed the seat in front of her once they reclined until they put it upright again. Ironically, the lady complaining had her seat reclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events