Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 05:42 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times

Advertisements

From what I have read, the airline etiquette is that one can recline, but only if you need to. IMO if one is traveling short distances and needs to recline a bit, only recline a little bit and do it in spurts. Don't recline the entire time.
The man should have asked her if she could sit up a bit instead of punching the seat, but I understand his frustration. Personally I feel that the airline seats should be made to only recline a little and a part of the announcement in the beginning should be to recline if you really need to but please consider the person behind you.
If one has a special need they need to make it clear from the beginning and request a seat that accommodates their need without infringing on another passenger's comfort.
She was inconsiderate and he reacted in an inappropriate way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 06:10 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Truly its the airline executives who are inhuman, putting people in seats like this man had. This is why I dont fly and will not fly, seats that you cant fit in, overselling seats, comfort horses and dogs, etc.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:21 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
I absolutely hate it when the person in front of me reclines his/her seat. I would never pound on the seat but I do confess that that I try to make it somewhat uncomfortable for the reclining person. For example, I get up to go to the bathroom and make sure I use their seat for leverage.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:24 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Sounds like the man and woman both should be on a no-fly list for at least a year.

Also, airlines should not allow seats to recline if the row spacing is not wide enough. I remember sitting in a seat that did not recline (immediately in front of the exit row) and having the person in front of me tip their seat all of the way back. I certainly didn't punch the seat, but I've made sure to never put myself in that position again.
Same. On a nonstop cross country flight in a middle seat. During mealtime, the woman reclined her seat back and then leaned on her husband. I blasted her with my overhead air vent. My strategy was working until she complained to the flight attendant about the chill and it was switched off. I turned it back on and she finally got the message. I normally would not do such a thing, but it was a tight area and super irritating.

The man should not have punched the seat. But I do understand his frustration. The airlines are at fault.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:25 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I absolutely hate it when the person in front of me reclines his/her seat. I would never pound on the seat but I do confess that that I try to make it somewhat uncomfortable for the reclining person. For example, I get up to go to the bathroom and make sure I use their seat for leverage.
Is it difficult for you to get up if the seat is reclined?? I have never had any issues with getting up from my seat if the person in front of me is reclined. If it is a problem for you, why not simply asking the person to move their seat up so that you can get out.

I will always recline my seat if the flight is over a couple of hours, as I prefer to sleep on the plane. I never have any problem with someone in front of me reclining. Does not bother me at all.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:52 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Is it difficult for you to get up if the seat is reclined?? I have never had any issues with getting up from my seat if the person in front of me is reclined. If it is a problem for you, why not simply asking the person to move their seat up so that you can get out.
I am a window-seater and it has often been very difficult if not impossible for me to get up without using the reclined seat in front of me. The gap is simply too narrow and no, I am not overweight nor do I have mobility issues.

Quote:
I will always recline my seat if the flight is over a couple of hours, as I prefer to sleep on the plane. I never have any problem with someone in front of me reclining. Does not bother me at all.
Are you an aisle-seater? It probably doesn't bother you because you do it as well.

I think it would assuage how I feel about it if the person who does it turned to either check if they had enough courtesy space or actually asked me if it would be OK. If they did that, I would probably say go for it, even if I didn't want them to. Being courteous is huge in these situation.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:24 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I am a window-seater and it has often been very difficult if not impossible for me to get up without using the reclined seat in front of me. The gap is simply too narrow and no, I am not overweight nor do I have mobility issues.

Same here... I'm of athletic build, 6'0" tall, and I agree that it can become borderline impossible to get up from a window seat without using the reclined seat as leverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Truly its the airline executives who are inhuman, putting people in seats like this man had. This is why I dont fly and will not fly, seats that you cant fit in, overselling seats, comfort horses and dogs, etc.
I avoid flying as much as possible, but often times, what are the alternatives? I love the comfort of Amtrak, but that stretch between Florida and DC at a max speed of 79mph where cars on I95 can be seen moving faster than you is simply dismal. It also has very limited routes, including none, oddly enough, from Florida to Atlanta... There's Megabus, I guess, but then your schedule is dependent on road traffic.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
From what I have read, the airline etiquette is that one can recline, but only if you need to. IMO if one is traveling short distances and needs to recline a bit, only recline a little bit and do it in spurts. Don't recline the entire time.
The man should have asked her if she could sit up a bit instead of punching the seat, but I understand his frustration. Personally I feel that the airline seats should be made to only recline a little and a part of the announcement in the beginning should be to recline if you really need to but please consider the person behind you.
If one has a special need they need to make it clear from the beginning and request a seat that accommodates their need without infringing on another passenger's comfort.
She was inconsiderate and he reacted in an inappropriate way.
He is the one who should have asked for another seat. She did nothing wrong, or inconsiderate. He asked her if she could move her seat up while he ate, which she did. When he was finished eating she reclined it again. Then he started punching.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:46 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

How tall are you?

Old 02-18-2020, 01:10 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Oh, you're right, the stewardess hasn't been fired. I'm so glad, I misread it. The poor stewardess was placed in an untenable position.

Once, when I was on a 12 hour nonstop flight, the person in front of me reclined. The person behind me had a lap child, so if I reclined, the poor child had no room to be. 12 hours of upright, cramped misery, but nothing to be done about it.

This woman is really something.
I was on one flight where the person in front of me fully reclined such that I and my seat mate could not get out of our seats (I had an isle seat but the arm rest wouldn't go up) without climbing on the seats. He pretended to be asleep so I just used his seat back forcefully to get on top of my seat to get out. Seriously his seat back was basically in my lap.

On another flight I was in the rear and had to tell the guy in front of me to put his seat back up while dinner was served because with my tray down his seat back didn't allow even a can of coke to be placed on the tray. Not his fault, but he did put it up for the remainder of the flight.

When I recline I try to be conscious of how much room the person behind has and I only recline it slightly for comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events