Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 04:49 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv1985 View Post
I also live alone but have yet to see any tips on how to clean the keyboards from both my laptop and desktop as well as my smartphone, so any suggestions would be most welcomed.

TIA.
Check with Office Depot for keyboard covers. These are soft materials that can be removed for cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 05:40 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
I also live alone but have yet to see any tips on how to clean the keyboards from both my laptop and desktop as well as my smartphone, so any suggestions would be most welcomed.

TIA.
Why not just wash your hands before using your keyboards? Or after?? Do you take them outside? I don't really bother cleaning mine - other than when needed for dust.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:42 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
You can wipe off the keyboard with a disinfectant wipe, then always use it with freshly washed hands.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:49 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:

TIA.
Glass cleaner..non ammonia type. Wet a paper towel with it and then use your finger (wrap paper towel around finger) to clean each key.
I have a Mac with a white keyboard and white keys. So dirt and oils show up pretty regularly even with clean hands.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:58 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I live alone. After cleaning cabinet tops, the stove top, the microwave, the refrigerator handles, light switches, sinks and toilets, and my computer keyboard with Pinesol, it dawned on me that other things I touch a lot are the on/off switch on my computer monitor, the TV remote control, the knobs on my cabinets, the dishwasher door and the lamps' light switches.

Also, any reusable cloths or sponges, I put in the dishwasher top tray but I've always done that.

Any tips for other things in a house/apartment/trailer that we don't think about but touch a lot? I'm guessing those of you with second floors have banisters to clean but what about what you and your family, the delivery people and your mailman touch to go up the steps on the outside of your home?

Also, if you are like me you drink soda/iced tea/water (beer?) from cans and bottles. I wash and wipe off the top of the can but I sometimes recap bottles. What do you do? I always have 18oz Solo cups in the house. I suppose that would be better.
The virus bacteria are gone in 24 hours, is what I heard from one of the doctors on tv. So disinfect what you touch when you come home, and you're good to go. No need to continue disinfecting things you haven't touched after going out.

Of course, those bacteria may not be gone in 24 hrs, as he said. They changed the info on those masks.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:00 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
Q tips with a little tiny dab disinfectant work well for all the little spaces in keyboards.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:43 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Tip? Remove all your clothing at the front door, toss it in the washing machine, and go straight into the shower. Don't touch anything along the way so the washing machine and bathroom need to be ready to go when you leave the house. You don't need to decontaminate your house if it doesn't get contaminated in the first place.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:46 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I live alone. After cleaning cabinet tops, the stove top, the microwave, the refrigerator handles, light switches, sinks and toilets, and my computer keyboard with Pinesol, it dawned on me that other things I touch a lot are the on/off switch on my computer monitor, the TV remote control, the knobs on my cabinets, the dishwasher door and the lamps' light switches.

Also, any reusable cloths or sponges, I put in the dishwasher top tray but I've always done that.

Any tips for other things in a house/apartment/trailer that we don't think about but touch a lot? I'm guessing those of you with second floors have banisters to clean but what about what you and your family, the delivery people and your mailman touch to go up the steps on the outside of your home?

Also, if you are like me you drink soda/iced tea/water (beer?) from cans and bottles. I wash and wipe off the top of the can but I sometimes recap bottles. What do you do? I always have 18oz Solo cups in the house. I suppose that would be better.
Some folks use glasses.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:52 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
How to clean keyboards will be in your user manual. Also can Google it.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:06 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times
If the virus is indeed on your clothes its probably also in your car. You could take your clothes off (while wearing a mask) and put them in the dryer on high heat for about 30 minutes. In a perfect world we would have a clothes dryer in our garages and put every thing in it before we enter our homes. I get my mail with vinyl gloves and the junk mail doesn't come into the house.

Hospital infection control testing seems to be inconclusive as to which cleaners work best. However they believe that frequency has a bigger impact on disinfection than the particular cleaning solution. The list of cleaners put out by the EPA is over 300 products, practically everything kills this virus. Beware of products that used the word "sanitize" that word is there because the EPA made them put it there. These products do not "disinfect."

Microfiber and a bucket of soapy water will kill this virus. Microfiber does what it says it does and that is it will pick up microscopic particles and release them when you rinse the clothes off. You could use a two bucket method by rinsing the cloth in hot water before dipping it in your cleaning solution but the soapy water will kill any virus released in the solution.

Janitorial supply stores will sell hospital grade cleaning products. These products kill things that are a lot more robust than a virus and come with a dilution rate as high as 1/2 once to a gallon of water. One of the newest products is an activated peroxide by Clorox that claims to have a 30 second kill rate. The electrostatic sprayers are pricey but they charge the cleaning solution so that it totally encapsulates the surface in the same way car bumpers are chromed.

For Keyboards I would use a UV light wand. They could also be used on your clothes.

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...nst-sars-cov-2
List N was last updated on April 2, 2020.

https://www.greentechheat.com/coronavirus?gclid=CjwKCAjw4KD0BRBUEiwA7MFNTboHbwVd4oLDdDClttii izSsTaWExD_FHpUpOeDH9QStavOcVSYdoRoChdoQAvD_BwE
As published in peer-reviewed journals available via PubMed and the US National Institute of Health, specific analysis of three major coronavirus strains found the virus was inactivated in the laboratory by minimum heat levels and exposure times: (click on any study author to be directed to the abstract on PubMed)
Updated 31 March 2020

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-04-2020 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events