Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 02:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times

Advertisements

Guys, let's stop feeding the troll.

The more we point out how utterly reprehensible they are, they keep digging in deeper.

You can't have a respectable debate with someone who is ignorant of the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:43 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,010,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Crack the constitution some day - would you? Yes, yes it does. I have every right in the world to be rude. Or say anything you don't like, called 1st amendment. Mmmmkaaayy?
And the store owner has every right to throw you out for treating his employee rudely. A shop is a private enterprise, and can set rules on what behavior is or is not allowed. And if you dig in your heels and refuse to leave after he tells you to go, he can call the police and have you arrested for trespassing. The First Amendment only applies to GOVERNMENT entities, not private ones.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:03 PM

7,598 posts, read 4,174,155 times
Quote:
Crack the constitution some day - would you? Yes, yes it does. I have every right in the world to be rude. Or say anything you don't like, called 1st amendment. Mmmmkaaayy?

Physical is another thing but that didn't not occur here no matter how much you all would like to confabulate physical with words.
The business owner has every right to call out rude behavior, on the news even.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:00 PM

6,473 posts, read 4,001,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
If the business is allowed to operate and the business owner wants to sell ice cream, I am not sure what other people's problems have to do with this arrangement.
But the behavior of these people is not justified with "but they want to get back to their routines!" So what? If everyone who had a slight hardship was allowed to act like this, the world would be in even more chaos than it already is. Meanwhile, if a business owner were to decide it's not worth it to have a pack of whiny brats abusing their employees, I would absolutely support them closing their doors to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I don't deny it. If I comment any more, then it will appear that I excuse it. I really don't. I just accept it as reality.
The problem with merely accepting things as "reality" is that then they are allowed to continue because nobody bothers to say "this isn't okay; let's change it."

Old 05-12-2020, 04:26 PM

28,969 posts, read 30,320,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was hardly just that one girl anyway. At the end of the day the entire staff told him that they had been called names and harassed all day. The 17-year-old girl got more attention because the owner said she had been his best worker for the past several years, and she quit at the end of that day because it was so awful. The owner wasn’t aware of just how bad it was, because much of it was happening outside and none of the kids complained until their shift was done. The opposite of snowflakes if you ask me.
what a shame....seriously....and the more reasons why I stay recluse...

Old 05-12-2020, 06:16 PM

7,598 posts, read 4,174,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
But the behavior of these people is not justified with "but they want to get back to their routines!" So what? If everyone who had a slight hardship was allowed to act like this, the world would be in even more chaos than it already is. Meanwhile, if a business owner were to decide it's not worth it to have a pack of whiny brats abusing their employees, I would absolutely support them closing their doors to avoid it.
I was referring to the ice cream shop owner getting back to some routine, by attempting to provide a service, not the customers. There is nothing routine about yelling at people or waiting in a car line for ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
The problem with merely accepting things as "reality" is that then they are allowed to continue because nobody bothers to say "this isn't okay; let's change it."
We agree there. In fact, I am not sure what we are disagreeing on.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:17 PM

161 posts, read 83,503 times
Hmm well it's retail. You can expect to get the public to be rude. When I worked retail I got a lot of verbal abuse and I never quit or has a news article... Deal with it.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,161 times
Sheesh. I've stood in line for 30 minutes to get one of them famed Popeyes chicken sandwiches, only to cut my losses when the line only moved forward by one person all that time. People were pissed that things were taking so long, but even we managed to remain civil.

Here, this wasn't dissimilar to cases I heard where people quit prematurely. For one job at a summer camp, they use seasonal help, which includes high school students. You would have men in their 40s and 50s, making remarks about the new hires like "I bet she likes it rough!", or "I bet I could make her really scream!", and even downright hitting on them.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:54 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,624,261 times
Quote:
Okay, but just realize that what you say still has consequences that can come back to you in a severely negative way, even in those cases where being rude is perfectly legal and you're not arrested for it. If this is a habit, that could be happening very often.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:25 PM

19,852 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Kudos to the owner, and I hope that all those people who harassed her will get a flat tire on their way home. (The article said it was a small town in Cape Cod, and so I would be willing to bet that these were the kind of tourists that give ALL tourists a bad name.)

It is just too bad that some people seem to have no courtesy and no patience, and I also think that it is a SHAME that such people spoil it for the rest of us!

Last edited by katharsis; 05-12-2020 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events