Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 11:55 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The COVID19 cloud will clear once the elections are over. I think many states like NYC are overstating their death totals. Back in April and May they were counting cancer deaths as COVID19. Our governor blame Trump not not helping but once he sent in the infirmary ship, it was empty and not being used. So what is the real COVID19 story? We'll find out after the elections are over how serious COVID19 really is or just a bad cold.
So you think the stories about dead people are fake, and the pictures of patients in the hospital are staged? The infirmary ship situation is a bit more complicated

Quote:
But the reality has been different. A tangle of military protocols and bureaucratic hurdles has prevented the Comfort from accepting many patients at all. On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship.

At a morning briefing on Thursday, officials said three patients had been moved to the Comfort. After The New York Times published an article with that number, Elizabeth Baker, a spokeswoman for the Navy, said the number had increased to 20 by late in the day. “We’re bringing them on as fast as we can bring them on,” she said.

The next day, on Friday, Ms. Baker said the Comfort would begin screening patients for the coronavirus on site by taking their temperature and giving them a short questionnaire, to relieve the burden on hospitals.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/n...s-comfort.html
I can't think of one reason why states or cities would release fake data for some nefarious purpose. States want to look like they are winning this fight, not losing it.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 2,216,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I’m not pushing anything. We’re having a discussion based on an article written by an epidemiologist who supports the use of this drug combo based on the science. My opinions are also based on the science as well as the experiences of frontline doctors, not politics.
For someone who is not pushing anything - you are very actively pushing this. I really wonder what you’d do if you were “pushing something”. It is worthless to argue with someone who is blindly pushing an uninformed point of view and misinformation and is not open to any evidence to the contrary. Once you challenge that - it becomes ‘science and opinions of frontline doctors - who I am sure are baring their souls to you’. So, spare me the protestations about “not politics”, they are as credible as the science and opinions you are pushing.

PS: With more than 4.5M infections and more than 150K deaths in the US alone and 17M infections and almost 700K deaths in the world, ever wonder how many frontline doctors are involved - that need your uninformed voice and that you claim to speak for? It would be laughable if it were not tragic!

Last edited by kavm; 08-01-2020 at 12:08 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 12:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
For someone who is not pushing anything - you are very actively pushing this. I really wonder what you’d do if you were “pushing something”. It is worthless to argue with someone who is blindly pushing an uninformed point of view and misinformation and is not open to any evidence to the contrary. Once you challenge that - it becomes ‘science and opinions of frontline doctors - who I am sure are baring their souls to you’. So, spare me the protestations about “not politics”, they are as credible as the science and opinions you are pushing.

PS: With more than 4.5M infections and more than 150K deaths in the US alone and 17M infections and almost 700K deaths in the world, ever wonder how many frontline doctors are involved - that need your uninformed voice and that you claim to speak for? It would be laughable if it were not tragic!
You never respond when I post links to scientific studies, I’ve noticed. This is a discussion about an article written by an epidemiologist with over 300 published studies who thinks that based on the science we should be using this treatment combo.

I really think you are trying to make this political. What is your interest in not allowing people to use a medication hat has shown itself to be effective? Posts some studies. Have a real discussion without personal attacks and accusations. Try it. You might like it and might even learn something new.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You never respond when I post links to scientific studies, I’ve noticed. This is a discussion about an article written by an epidemiologist with over 300 published studies who thinks that based on the science we should be using this treatment combo.

I really think you are trying to make this political. What is your interest in not allowing people to use a medication hat has shown itself to be effective? Posts some studies. Have a real discussion without personal attacks and accusations. Try it. You might like it and might even learn something new.
You actually notice something. That’s shocking! May be you want to read this from Yale School of Public Health where the epidemiologist (who’s paper count on unrelated topics is irrelevant) wrote an opinion and a review article (not original research) you are overreacting to... Note - YSPH physicians where Dr Risch is employed rarely use HCQ these days. So, that’s the front-line doctor you are speaking for.

https://publichealth.yale.edu/news-article/26290/

Here is a review of Risch’s paper - questionable data and negative results from randomized trials not even acknowledged.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/87844

Here is a recent study on the mild to moderate Covid and HCQ (recent report 7 days ago).

https://medcitynews.com/2020/07/hydr...rate-covid-19/

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

Let’s see if any of this makes a dent in your enthusiasm.

Last edited by kavm; 08-01-2020 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
You actually notice something. That’s shocking! May be you want to read this from Yale School of Public Health where the epidemiologist (who’s paper count on unrelated topics is irrelevant) wrote an opinion and a review article (not original research) you are overreacting to...

https://publichealth.yale.edu/news-article/26290/

Putting you on ignore. All you have to offer is personal attacks. Nothing of substance. Makes for a boring discussion.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Honored!

Old 08-01-2020, 12:54 PM

This is a really interesting. Sharing for those interested. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-gs...qZLNCMSt-/view

Old 08-01-2020, 01:03 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, there are not. There are doctors who claim to have had success, but unless they have done studies comparing treated and untreated patients those claims cannot be substantiated. If they are treating outpatients there is a very great chance that those patients would have recovered with no medication at all.
So speculating what would happen is the response?

That's what 99% of people feel too. 150k dead from Covid-19 in the USA represents .0004 percent of the population.
oh, but then they speculate the long-term damage it can do to your lungs. Yet the virus has been here since January so no "studies" have been done on that.

What people want with a pandemic is a treatment or vaccine.

Americans and people abroad take many unsafe medicines and antibiotics daily.
Are we the number one country in the world for medicine? No
Are we top 10? No.

People want treatments and from a safe drug used for 60+ years does work for most people.

Why is someone so against a safe OTC medicine that people take?
How does it hurt your life, your friends, your family or city?

Obviously the increased homelessness, drug needle users in San Francisco and now NYC, added violent crime from idiotic defunding, and lack of open public schools affects your and my life far more than 100 Joe Randoms using HCL.

I saw a treatment protocol chart for countries that did use HCL and those that didn't. Among the ones who didn't and high infections were the US which correlates why we're still having spikes, albeit not as many deaths per capita. Charts and numbers don't lie, people do. Well, it is hard to locate because of Google's bias too.

Fauci's predicted 2 million dead in the USA. He had to adjust that estimate with his raspy 79-year old voice.

What is it with this guy that people trust him so much like he delivered your wife's baby with one hand blind-folded, cured breast and prostate cancer, and did a round-trip to mars in a couple days?

I don't trust our politicians period. That includes Trump, Obama, the House Speaker on down the line but I do trust other doctor's opinions & will listen to them, not just one guy who is the NIH medical director. I had to see several doctors myself for a spinal nerve condition, including the head of the dept. Some want you to get the procedure or take this steroid while others warn against it. You can never trust one doctor, especially a govt. doctor. Get and review second opinions and discard accordingly.

Why didn't he go into private practice & remained 35+ years working for the govt?
Why was he never hired by a University?
From my brief research he made $384k in 2018 yet with his credentials he should've earned annually $1-2 million easy. Perhaps he gets that now with his speaking engagements and guest appearances. Good for him.

Why is Dr. Birx not regarded as equally important?

Any doctor will lose trust when they flip flop on their initial advice or death predictions. He did that which partially explains why is still working for the govt.

Emergency physicians from multiple US universities, leading cardiologists, say its safe and know this better than you or I.
Are some people just Fauci groupies? He is not a popular comedian or musician to warrant this type of following.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:23 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, we have a hospital doctor on the NJ boards that says pretty much the same.
A lot of the stuff Harvey Risch, the author of the op-ed in the first post and the one who claims the drug will end the pandemic if given freely, is heavily qualified by assuming favorable outcomes and are intended to be misleading.

Quote:
Epidemiologist Harvey Risch downplayed rising case numbers on the June 23 edition of The Ingraham Angle, saying that “if this second wave is largely of young people, as it’s progressing now, then it might not matter that much.” Risch went on to compare new cases of COVID-19 to “an influenza-like illness” that is “mostly just inconvenience and discomfort,” despite horror stories from survivors as young as 16. He concluded, “If the hospitalizations stay down and the deaths stay down, then why should we worry whether we’re having more cases.”
He leads people on to make sweeping conclusions based on his choice of words. He also doesn't consider the consequences of having a lot more spreaders (young kids have 10-100 times the viral load) and how it would impact deaths and hospitalizations.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
So speculating what would happen is the response?

Why is someone so against a safe OTC medicine that people take?
How does it hurt your life, your friends, your family or city?

What OTC drug you are talking about? HCQ? That’s a controlled and not an OTC drug.

Quote:

Obviously the increased homelessness, drug needle users in San Francisco and now NYC, added violent crime from idiotic defunding, and lack of open public schools affects your and my life far more than 100 Joe Randoms using HCL.
If only everyone were using HCQ - we’d not have violent crime, drug use and public schools open. Life would be good in la-la land. Except that most of us live in the real world and fail to see the logic.

Quote:

I saw a treatment protocol chart for countries that did use HCL and those that didn't. Among the ones who didn't and high infections were the US which correlates why we're still having spikes, albeit not as many deaths per capita. Charts and numbers don't lie, people do. Well, it is hard to locate because of Google's bias too.
So, now HCQ is also preventing infections rather than treating them. The world must be a scary place when everyone is biased - or so it seems inside your head.

Quote:

Fauci's predicted 2 million dead in the USA. He had to adjust that estimate with his raspy 79-year old voice.

What is it with this guy that people trust him so much like he delivered your wife's baby with one hand blind-folded, cured breast and prostate cancer, and did a round-trip to mars in a couple days?
Because he is infinitely more qualified and credible than folks like you? By the way, try reading the statement from Dr. Fauci - this time with glasses on. This article contains the link with quote -

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...he-coronavirus

“Between 100,000 to 200,000 dead” - and we are past 150,000.

Quote:

I don't trust our politicians period. That includes Trump, Obama, the House Speaker on down the line but I do trust other doctor's opinions & will listen to them, not just one guy who is the NIH medical director. I had to see several doctors myself for a spinal nerve condition, including the head of the dept. Some want you to get the procedure or take this steroid while others warn against it. You can never trust one doctor, especially a govt. doctor. Get and review second opinions and discard accordingly.
Will be sure to include your eminence in the selection panel for the next NIH director, since you have such impeccable logic.

In the meantime, Dr. Fauci’s contributions are among the top in the world, not just the USA. It is sad that loony tunes here feel free judge them.

Quote:

Emergency physicians from multiple US universities, leading cardiologists, say its safe and know this better than you or I.
They must be whispering in your ear. The people evaluating the outcomes of the trials and other evidence are actually doctors too - and supremely qualified at that - and making judgment outside of the political bubble that you seem to reside in. A lot of them are outside of the US and have little idea or motivation relating the US politics. There is actually a pandemic on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events