Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2021, 04:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Remember when Chandra Levy's remains were found long after a grid search of the area surrounding her jogging trail was performed? I think they had a grid that indicated the searchers were two feet apart in their group searches, covering that specific area.

So either that was false, and the searchers really didn't search that carefully, or they stepped on her remains while they were looking for her.

It is baffling, sometimes that decaying remains are missed by grid searchers, and yet if a cat dies in your sewer you know it for a couple weeks.

I remember when she was missing but I wasn't following her case.

I went to wiki to read discovery of her remains.

Quote:
On May 22, 2002, around 9:30 am, skeletal remains which matched Levy's dental records were discovered by a man who was walking his dog and looking for turtles in Rock Creek Park, near Broad Branch Creek (Washington, D.C.).[22] Detectives found bones and personal items scattered, but not buried, in a forested area along a steep incline.[23] A sports bra, sweat shirt, leggings and tennis shoes were among the evidence that was recovered. Although police had previously searched over half the 1,754-acre main section of the park (2.74 mi2, 7.10 km2), the wooded slope where Levy's remains were eventually found had not been searched. Police commanders ordered the search perimeters to be within 100 yards of each road and trail but due to a miscommunication, the officers only searched within 100 yards of every road. The remains were found about four miles (6 km) from Levy's apartment.

Quote:
I think they didn't do the grid search they said they did. I think they eyeballed the area, but didn't actually walk a 2 foot square grid throughout the adjoining property.

It's very possible he was missed. As I said before, it wouldn't be the 1st time. There was another case a few years ago where a gal named Dr. Taleka Patrick was going to school to be a doctor turned up missing. It came out that she was stalking a famous minister. She also suffered from some sort of delusions that she had been hiding from everyone. Seems like only her ex-husband knew about it, she also had one very close friend who also may have known.

She had a flat tire, it's thought she saw truck stop lights, so she cut through a park. There was a fence to stop people from doing that, it's thought she went under the fence, she then probably lost her footing, went tumbling down a hill, into the pond, because she drowned in 3 feet of water. If I remember right, she was deathly afraid of water. She may not have known how to swim either; not that she'd need to swim in 3 feet of water...

The cops were slow to tie her broken down car in Indiana to where she was in Michigan so they lost a week.

Teleka Patrick case: 6 things we know and 4 questions still unanswered

Quote:
4 unanswered questions
3. Why did a bloodhound track Patrick's scent to the highway instead of the woods?

A bloodhound brought in Dec. 12 by the Indiana State Police tracked Patrick's scent from the location to the car to the highway's edge, and did that twice.

The dog's handler told the Kalamazoo Gazette in January that he had high confidence in the dog's ability.

It's not clear why the dog didn't track Patrick to the woods, Fuller said Wednesday.

4. How did Patrick end up in the pond?

It was a dark night, and the pond is surrounded by an earth berm and considerable brush, Fuller said.

It's possible that Patrick walked over the berm, not realizing what was on the other side, and then stumbled down the steep slope into the water, Fuller said.

"It's very rough terrain," he said.

However, while the pond has a maximum depth of 21 feet, it's not that sudden of a drop-off -- Patrick's body was found in 3 feet of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I wonder if there was a physical barrier of some sort, like an area of dense undergrowth, that prevented them from walking the grid and they sort of walked around it instead of through it.

I also wonder if there has been a volunteer grid search conducted for Jason. If not, it might be worth doing.

Yes, it's worth going back to the scene with a bunch of people to go back over the area. You just never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But those missing person cases are different. There's evidence here and all points to him having a drug or medical breakdown. Foul play doesn't make sense or in this situation.

We don't know Jason's history. Could be arguing with someone on cell or social media. We don't know if they looked at his accounts. Could be evidence they're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I just read an account of the Levy case on Wikipedia. There was apparently a miscommunication about the search perimeter. When you read about how the case was handled, you realize how badly the DC police handled the investigation. Even after they finally discovered her remains, her parents hired another party who found her shin bone with wire wrapped around it still at the site. This was months after her disappearance.

In the Landry case, I suspect that bad police work is at fault as well. I imagine Landry’s remains are there, but have not been found. A naked man, moving through a December landscape had to be having some sort of crisis. And he would have perished sooner or later, unless found and rescued.

You'd think that Texas would know how to search for a missing person since they seem to have so many, plus they work with Texas Equisearch fairly often. I think the issue is they didn't get his cell and social media info early enough, who knows if they've gotten it yet? I've been helping a woman look for her missing adult son, Eric Franks. As of now, cops still haven't gotten into his computer or social media accounts, he's been missing almost 10 years.

Now that the weather is nice, his family should start organizing searches, starting with where he was last seen. They also need to push LE to recover his cell and electronic records like social media, bank account and any credit cards that he has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 07:09 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Yes, it's worth going back to the scene with a bunch of people to go back over the area. You just never know.

You'd think that Texas would know how to search for a missing person since they seem to have so many, plus they work with Texas Equisearch fairly often. I think the issue is they didn't get his cell and social media info early enough, who knows if they've gotten it yet? I've been helping a woman look for her missing adult son, Eric Franks. As of now, cops still haven't gotten into his computer or social media accounts, he's been missing almost 10 years.

Now that the weather is nice, his family should start organizing searches, starting with where he was last seen. They also need to push LE to recover his cell and electronic records like social media, bank account and any credit cards that he has.
Going back it appears TX Equisearch did a search back in Dec 2020.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...nt/4019349001/

Quote:
On Tuesday, Texas EquuSearch said it will stop looking for Landry until law enforcement officials gather more information regarding his possible location.

In a Tuesday news release, the organization said the search has utilized multiple tools, including helicopters, search dogs and drones, to look for Landry in the past nine days.
Then another group out of Austin TX Search and Rescue did a search in Feb.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...nt/6815559002/

Quote:
Shannon Smith, marketing and business development director for Texas Search and Rescue, said their volunteers are taught how to conduct a thorough ground search and rescue and how to look for footprints and tracks, clothing or belongings, and other evidence of the missing person. She said they also know about crime scene preservation should they find something.
I would suspect the family and friends have been back many times searching.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Going back it appears TX Equisearch did a search back in Dec 2020.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...nt/4019349001/

Then another group out of Austin TX Search and Rescue did a search in Feb.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...nt/6815559002/

I would suspect the family and friends have been back many times searching.

Yeah, I would think the area has been fully searched but you just never know is they went far enough out or if they just missed him by a few yards like with the WV case I mentioned before. It happens.

Texas Equisearch should be more then capable but you just never know.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:12 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Quote:
Yeah, I would think the area has been fully searched but you just never know is they went far enough out or if they just missed him by a few yards like with the WV case I mentioned before. It happens.

Texas Equisearch should be more then capable but you just never know.
Didn't Jason leave his cell phone in or near the car?

I think he got missed or they just didn't go far enough down the road. That area around where he went missing appears to be uncultivated farmland. They may graze cows or something on the land at certain times, but it is mainly uninhibited by humans. There are trees and other natural barriers in the area. He could have cut across a field or run down the road quite a ways. They've said he took his clothes off. He may have hidden from searchers back in December if he realized he was naked. He may have thought he was in trouble .

Old 05-07-2021, 09:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Didn't Jason leave his cell phone in or near the car?

I think he got missed or they just didn't go far enough down the road. That area around where he went missing appears to be uncultivated farmland. They may graze cows or something on the land at certain times, but it is mainly uninhibited by humans. There are trees and other natural barriers in the area. He could have cut across a field or run down the road quite a ways. They've said he took his clothes off. He may have hidden from searchers back in December if he realized he was naked. He may have thought he was in trouble .
His phone was located stuck up under a seat after the crash. He had been using it up until the time of the crash, and it's believed he couldn't find it afterwards.

The area is mostly fenced with barbed wire - it's hard to believe in the dark he could have easily crossed the fields where his clothing and backpack were found in the middle of the road. Also, if he voluntarily stripped naked out on that lonely road it doesn't seem realistic that he'd quickly realize, in the space of 45 minutes, that he should hide due to his nakedness.

It's a mystery, for sure. Baffling. When I went out there the week after the crash, it was clear that if he was lying down anywhere out there, he'd be invisible unless you were standing right on top of him - the winter brown grass is knee high, more than enough to hide an adult lying prone.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
His phone was located stuck up under a seat after the crash. He had been using it up until the time of the crash, and it's believed he couldn't find it afterwards.

The area is mostly fenced with barbed wire - it's hard to believe in the dark he could have easily crossed the fields where his clothing and backpack were found in the middle of the road. Also, if he voluntarily stripped naked out on that lonely road it doesn't seem realistic that he'd quickly realize, in the space of 45 minutes, that he should hide due to his nakedness.

It's a mystery, for sure. Baffling. When I went out there the week after the crash, it was clear that if he was lying down anywhere out there, he'd be invisible unless you were standing right on top of him - the winter brown grass is knee high, more than enough to hide an adult lying prone.

Thanks for the input Clara. I wish I was local so I can see it. Do you have a google map link for it?

Old 05-08-2021, 07:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input Clara. I wish I was local so I can see it. Do you have a google map link for it?
It was the 2300 Block of Salt Flat Road, Luling, TX. The Google Street View map was taken in 2011, and isn't really helpful in seeing what it looks like now. There is good sturdy new barbed wire running along the right hand side of the road as you're going north, (where he crashed) and the ground cover is grown up significantly. All of his clothing he was apparently wearing, as evidence by pics taken the evening he disappeared, including his underwear, was located in the middle of the road along with his backpack 900 yards south of the crash sight.

If google map street view were current, it would be easy to see the tree he crashed into. As it is, I can't tell - the trees are much younger in Google Streetview.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:29 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Look at post #52. They said they have a pin on Google maps where they think he crashed. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/th....554615/page-3

Old 05-08-2021, 04:43 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,474,548 times
It would be difficult for a naked man to cross a barbed wire without getting cut. I wonder how thoroughly they examined that fence?

Old 05-09-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
It was the 2300 Block of Salt Flat Road, Luling, TX. The Google Street View map was taken in 2011, and isn't really helpful in seeing what it looks like now. There is good sturdy new barbed wire running along the right hand side of the road as you're going north, (where he crashed) and the ground cover is grown up significantly. All of his clothing he was apparently wearing, as evidence by pics taken the evening he disappeared, including his underwear, was located in the middle of the road along with his backpack 900 yards south of the crash sight.

If google map street view were current, it would be easy to see the tree he crashed into. As it is, I can't tell - the trees are much younger in Google Streetview.

Thanks Clara. I'll look at it later, have to help daughter.

2300 Block of Salt Flat Road, Luling, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Look at post #52. They said they have a pin on Google maps where they think he crashed. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/th....554615/page-3
The thread you linked to only goes to page 51. I looked at page 52 in thread 1 and 3neither has it either.

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-09-2021 at 10:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events