Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 06:38 AM

36,961 posts, read 31,230,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
This is U.K. law on fox hunting;

Foxes. It's illegal to hunt foxes with a pack of dogs.
You can use dogs to simulate hunting, for example 'drag' or 'trail' hunting.
You can use up to 2 dogs to chase ('flush' or 'stalk') foxes out of hiding if the fox is causing damage to your property or the environment.
When were these put in place? All the scenes I've ever seen there are like 30 dogs chasing a fox. I know its movies but.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 09:02 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,613,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When were these put in place? All the scenes I've ever seen there are like 30 dogs chasing a fox. I know its movies but.
FOX hunting with dogs has been outlawed since legislation was passed by the Labour government in 2004.
In addition, someone said that if it had happened to the seal in the U.S., it would probably have been nursed back to health, gimme a break, veterinarians in both countries know what they’re doing, if the seal could have been saved, the U.K. vet would have saved him, just as a U.S. vet would have.
It wasn’t a competition.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:23 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,164,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Personally I would have thought the Seal should have been captured and taken to a Seal sanctuary, before preparing the seal for release in the wild.

Big cities are not really the best places for Seals, although why anyone would be stupid enough to let a dog run wild in public in London, is also a question that has to be asked.

Cornish Seal Sanctuary - Sealife Trust

Mablehorpe Seal Sanctuary

Natureland Seal Sanctuary

The police now want to speak to the dogs owner, as it is illegal to have an out of control dog in public in the UK and the story will generate a lot of public anger.

Freddie the seal death: Dog owner sought by police after Thameside attack -BBC News

Controlling your dog in public - GOV.UK
Poor little Freddie! The police should have been talking to this irresponsible dog owner, as soon as it happened. My dogs are always leashed in public, no exceptions. Even a minor incident could turn into a major issue.

She deserves a large fine and community service. Her story will hopefully make thoughtless dog owners realize that bad things can happen with an unleashed dog.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
FOX hunting with dogs has been outlawed since legislation was passed by the Labour government in 2004.
In addition, someone said that if it had happened to the seal in the U.S., it would probably have been nursed back to health, gimme a break, veterinarians in both countries know what they’re doing, if the seal could have been saved, the U.K. vet would have saved him, just as a U.S. vet would have.
It wasn’t a competition.
Not sure why you believe anyone thinks its a competition. Noting what is perceived as differences between the two countries is not competing.
I brought fox hunting as well as squirrel hunting and rabbit hunting in the US where dogs are used become some posters seem to think dogs chasing and killing animals is unnatural or shocking.

As far as saving the seal IDK. I did read this in one of the earlier articles: “Sadly, based on their experiences, the decision is that he needed to be euthanized for his welfare,” the rescue operation said. “We would be unable to release a seal back into the wild with one flipper, if amputation was an option, as we have a firm policy on not putting animals into captivity, and the seal’s welfare must be put first and foremost.”

Which seems to differ from the US, where organizations and individuals will pour money into saving and caring for an animal like this in captivity for its natural life before euthanizing it, yet we euthanize perfectly healthy domestic animals daily.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:30 AM

51,535 posts, read 37,195,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That’s always in movies set in much older times.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That’s always in movies set in much older times.
I guess I watch older movies. LOL.
Anyway I learned something about fox hunting.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM

17,436 posts, read 11,461,263 times
I have absolutely no sympathy for people and their unleashed dogs in public. If it were up to me, she's spend time in jail and the dog would be put down.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:54 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,804,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I have absolutely no sympathy for people and their unleashed dogs in public. If it were up to me, she's spend time in jail and the dog would be put down.
The local law did not require she leash her dog, however, pictures show her holding a leash. I'm guessing she let the dog off leash on the beach to run/play. She has expressed (what I believe) is true remorse, contacted the police before they did her, made a donation to the organization that provided care. She stated she left the scene for safety- I'd imagine her dog would not settle. Freddie was under the care of a vet when she left and she provided him with her contact info. I think she ticks the boxes of a responsible person.

The Met Police have already stated they are not investigating the incident.

It's a terrible, terrible thing that happened. But people often ascribe too many human like qualities to dogs, at the end of the day all animals have a prey drive.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:57 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,058,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I don't have a dog now, but if I did have a dog and I were walking the dog on leash in some place that I had a perfect right to be, and some dog that was running loose attacked my dog, that dog would be in one HEAP of trouble. I may not be able to prevent the attack, but I darn sure could STOP it... and I would.

???

HOW you would stop the attack of a 100lb Aggressive Pit-bull that wanted to Maul your little Poodle???

Old 03-25-2021, 03:11 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,058,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Miami is full of these morons, purposely let their dogs loose, or zero care they get loose. Same people over and over again.

Why put the dog down? It was not the dog's fault, it was the owners' fault. The dog is doing what dogs do naturally. That is like getting mad at the cat because it killed a mouse.

House-cats are one of the most vicious Predators known to man. That being said, its a poor analogy to say a Dog that is 'supposed to be walked on a leash' is in the same league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events