Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Had ANY Covid-19 Tests
Had ZERO Tests 121 50.00%
Had 1 or 2 Tests 80 33.06%
Had 3 or more Tests 34 14.05%
Had only the antibody Tests 7 2.89%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 03:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,818 times

Advertisements

I got tested 2 days after my co-worker was diagnosed with COVID-19. My result was negative.

I will get tested again when I feel like I have the flu. There's no point when I feel well. My job doesn't require me to get tested and I haven't gone anywhere (yet) that requires a negative test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 05:07 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,879,258 times
I've been tested at least 7 times. The first 3 or were mandated by the State of Alaska, traveling to remote villages for commercial fisheries.

Another was because our WA State production facility had an outbreak and we tested everyone.

3 other times for company policy to test upon return from commercial travel.

I'm in the Seattle area, since past fall testing has been easily available and well managed. I haven't spent more than 10 minutes going through the process.

OP, as another poster questioned "Why would I want to participate when your comments are so dismissive?" I have to wonder as well. Testing is a good thing whether it finds positive or negative results. The data is important to plan how to best understand and manage the pandemic. I've been fully involved in this for over a year since my position is responsible for staffing 700 "essential workers" with almost 500 living in communal quarters at 4 locations. One detail that has been interesting to watch develop is asymptomatic carriers. The 1st push was temp check and oral question screening, those are factors but not as much as originally thought. Originally it was thought maybe 20% infected were asymptomatic, I've seen that estimate steadily climb and recently as high as 60%.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:21 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
I have to be tested weekly for work.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:33 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Zero tests. If I was exposed to a positive case or had symptoms I'd get a test.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:36 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
4 tests total.

1 because I was in contact with a positive case.
3 for work.

Thankfully, all negative.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:54 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Just trying to get an idea of who has had any Covid-19 tests and if so, approximately how many. I'm also curious as to why someone would even get the test unless they strongly suspect that they had the virus. It seems that at most, only about 6% of the people tested on any given day are positive, so what makes the other 94% of the people decide to get the test? Did they just have nothing better to do that day and decide "Oh well, I think I'll go get a Covid test since I have a sniffle and think I should be tested."

Please vote in the poll. Your vote is private. Comments are optional. Explain your vote if you wish, or not. It's up to you. Don't wish to get into any discussions about the merits of the vaccines. Just want to know about what percent of participants on this board have been tested for Covid-19.
yes and yes

I have taken two tests

The first was when this all started. And yea I was just curious. People were saying - but you don't have any symptoms - hello - I was sneezing. That was one. At that test site they were begging for people to show up - so no guilty feelings. I was negative

Second test, I had been exposed and they were having a drive thru test site, so decided to go. Did not think I would be positive, but what do you know - positive - what a shock!

The person that had it lost a sibling to covid. She and another sibling were also hospitalized for two weeks.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I went to be tested after a family member tested positive in November. I tested negative.

I was tested again prior to surgery at the end of February. Also negative.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:46 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
I had a test about a year ago when I was sick. This was back when it was hard to get a test--I actually thought about driving to Illinois to get one. I'd heard stories on the news about people going downhill rapidly from COVID. I also didn't want to spread COVID if I had it.

The test was negative. Getting that swab poked halfway to the back of my head was so painful that I never wanted another test.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:49 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
I've never been tested because there was no testing when I think we had it in my house February and March. I've been sick once since then but didn't get tested because I only had some symptoms verses all of the symptoms in February. I was watching my blood oxygen which never went in the 80's. I also don't want the government knowing my business. Who knows what they'll do with the information they get from the testing.

My daughter has been tested twice. Once when she had symptoms, her ex who she shares a child with had been exposed. My granddaughter had been sick when she went to my daughters. 2nd test was for surgery.

7 year old grandson was tested twice. Once for surgery and the 2nd time with my daughter while they were waiting for her ex's test to come back.

Granddaughter (was 3) has been tested once that I know about for surgery. My daughters ex has custody, so we're in the dark about what he does with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Just trying to get an idea of who has had any Covid-19 tests and if so, approximately how many. I'm also curious as to why someone would even get the test unless they strongly suspect that they had the virus. It seems that at most, only about 6% of the people tested on any given day are positive, so what makes the other 94% of the people decide to get the test? Did they just have nothing better to do that day and decide "Oh well, I think I'll go get a Covid test since I have a sniffle and think I should be tested."

Please vote in the poll. Your vote is private. Comments are optional. Explain your vote if you wish, or not. It's up to you. Don't wish to get into any discussions about the merits of the vaccines. Just want to know about what percent of participants on this board have been tested for Covid-19.

Why would I want to participate when your comments are so dismissive?

What are you reading as dismissive? Chas is curious why people tested and if they tested due to symptoms or another reason. If symptoms, what specific symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
No tests here - me or DH. We had Covid back in March of 2020, confirmed by our doc later in the year based on geographical location (primarily since it was a major hotspot for Covid that month), the location we felt we had acquired it, and symptoms that at the time of illness were not considered Covid symptoms, so no hospital/doc would test us back then.

We chose, based on the lapsed time that we would not bother to check for antibodies. No Covid symptoms or illness of any kind since. Retired so no company to demand a test from either of us.

I think we had it too in Feb to March starting with my son, then hub the next week, followed by my daughter and I. No antibodies test either due to amount of time that went by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I've been tested at least 7 times. The first 3 or were mandated by the State of Alaska, traveling to remote villages for commercial fisheries.

Another was because our WA State production facility had an outbreak and we tested everyone.

3 other times for company policy to test upon return from commercial travel.

I'm in the Seattle area, since past fall testing has been easily available and well managed. I haven't spent more than 10 minutes going through the process.

OP, as another poster questioned "Why would I want to participate when your comments are so dismissive?" I have to wonder as well. Testing is a good thing whether it finds positive or negative results. The data is important to plan how to best understand and manage the pandemic. I've been fully involved in this for over a year since my position is responsible for staffing 700 "essential workers" with almost 500 living in communal quarters at 4 locations. One detail that has been interesting to watch develop is asymptomatic carriers. The 1st push was temp check and oral question screening, those are factors but not as much as originally thought. Originally it was thought maybe 20% infected were asymptomatic, I've seen that estimate steadily climb and recently as high as 60%.

I didn't think any of his comments were dismissive, Chas generally isn't that type of poster from what I remember. I'm always giving him rep points.

One comment posted about the vaccine; Chas said the thread isn't for the vaccine, only for COVID testing. His 2nd was to explain why he thought they didn't vote.

We can't hear the tone Chas posts with, we can only use our own. We read with whatever mood we're in. I always try to read in a neutral tone, it's rare I see someone getting snotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes and yes

I have taken two tests

The first was when this all started. And yea I was just curious. People were saying - but you don't have any symptoms - hello - I was sneezing. That was one. At that test site they were begging for people to show up - so no guilty feelings. I was negative

Second test, I had been exposed and they were having a drive thru test site, so decided to go. Did not think I would be positive, but what do you know - positive - what a shock!

The person that had it lost a sibling to covid. She and another sibling were also hospitalized for two weeks.

Thanks for your input. Interesting you were positive on the 2nd test. Do you think it was a false positive since it appears you didn't have symptoms since you were shocked you tested positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I had a test about a year ago when I was sick. This was back when it was hard to get a test--I actually thought about driving to Illinois to get one. I'd heard stories on the news about people going downhill rapidly from COVID. I also didn't want to spread COVID if I had it.

The test was negative. Getting that swab poked halfway to the back of my head was so painful that I never wanted another test.

I've heard the test was very sucky. I can't imagine doing the test to myself. My 7 year old grandson said the test was horrible to get.

There was no testing when I think COVID went through our house. Antibody test would have been negative by the time they came out with one so I didn't bother

Old 04-10-2021, 12:54 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
1 because my doctor told me to go get a test for having fever and body aches (and no other symptoms). I knew it wasn't COVID-19 as I didn't cough or had a runny nose. I even thought some sort of blood cancer was more likely than C-19. Turned out it was just a bad virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events