Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:12 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You can drink in moderation and still get a DUI. For a woman especially it can only take a couple glasses of wine with dinner to blow .08. I know 3 people who got DUI and none were drunk. One, my ex, had 3-4 beers, one had wine with dinner at a restaurant and the other had a couple of mixed drinks at an after work happy hour.
Not saying you can't but the incident above one would hope they not only stopped driving drunk but reduced drinking overall. Those programs usually emphasize the dangerous of excessive alcohol consumption not just it might make one drunk. But more importantly she learned the lesson don't drive after drinking.

Impaired is different than visibly drunk. Reaction and response times might not show up as slurred speech. Depending on the person they say a person might be able to process a drink of alcohol per hour. Will change with weight, meals, health etc. Also some states and groups say .08 is too high and want it lowered.

Did those blowing .08 on the nose get nailed at checkpoints or they got stopped for something like unable to maintain a lane or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 01:24 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Not saying you can't but the incident above one would hope they not only stopped driving drunk but reduced drinking overall. Those programs usually emphasize the dangerous of excessive alcohol consumption not just it might make one drunk. But more importantly she learned the lesson don't drive after drinking.

Impaired is different than visibly drunk. Reaction and response times might not show up as slurred speech. Depending on the person they say a person might be able to process a drink of alcohol per hour. Will change with weight, meals, health etc. Also some states and groups say .08 is too high and want it lowered.

Did those blowing .08 on the nose get nailed at checkpoints or they got stopped for something like unable to maintain a lane or something.
In the case of my ex, he was coming back over the bridge to our dry town, and the cops just sit on that bridge and pull people over because they know everyone goes to that town to drink. He really isn’t a big drinker, he was just sitting on the outside deck listening to music and had a few beers over the course of a couple hours. The other freed just had wine with dinner, not an excessive amount. I don’t recall the details of the others. I think .08 is too low to be honest. But I bet lowering it from .1 to .08 equaled millions in extra revenue to states.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
In the case of my ex, he was coming back over the bridge to our dry town, and the cops just sit on that bridge and pull people over because they know everyone goes to that town to drink. He really isn’t a big drinker, he was just sitting on the outside deck listening to music and had a few beers over the course of a couple hours. The other freed just had wine with dinner, not an excessive amount. I don’t recall the details of the others. I think .08 is too low to be honest. But I bet lowering it from .1 to .08 equaled millions in extra revenue to states.
Shame on those cops for taking advantage of citizens like that...

and cops wonder why there is so much anti cop sentiment today?!! LOL

Thats ridiculous, they act like they are so concerned with everyones health and safety (as it relates to drunk driving), but that isnt true at all, its a freaking money grab is all it is.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:39 AM

There has been a push to lower the legal limit from .08 to .05.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/w...c-c221e7aa46cf

It's not just about any potential revenues. What's the saying buzzed driving is drunk driving.

Although the suspect in this incident probably would've shown visual/physical signs driving before he got stopped and breathalized. This is where a lot more enforcement should go-hunting/looking for drunk drivers on the road at places other than one check point.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Shame on those cops for taking advantage of citizens like that...

and cops wonder why there is so much anti cop sentiment today?!! LOL

Thats ridiculous, they act like they are so concerned with everyones health and safety (as it relates to drunk driving), but that isnt true at all, its a freaking money grab is all it is.
I think so too. If they were actually concerned about preventing drunk driving, they would use some of the massive profits the two towns make from drunk driving, and put in a shuttle to go back and forth the three miles over the bridge. They already have them, they run all day taking people to the boardwalk, it wouldn’t cost that much more to put them into service between the two towns at night. It wouldn’t even have to be free.

Getting a cab or even an Uber in the summer in a timely matter can be very difficult. There were a couple of times I waited over an hour and a half. An hour and a half is a very long time when you’re at a bar and you realize you’ve had a few too many and just wanna go home and lie down.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
There has been a push to lower the legal limit from .08 to .05.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/w...c-c221e7aa46cf

It's not just about any potential revenues. What's the saying buzzed driving is drunk driving.

Although the suspect in this incident probably would've shown visual/physical signs driving before he got stopped and breathalized. This is where a lot more enforcement should go-hunting/looking for drunk drivers on the road at places other than one check point.
I don’t think .5 or would be buzzed at all. I think that is ridiculous, and I do think it is about the revenue. I am very cynical about it. If they really wanted to stop it, why don’t they check everybody’s breath alcohol level or as they’re leaving a Phillies game or an Eagles game, or pull people over as soon as they leave the lot? They know very well there are 20,000 people in there at any given time drinking throughout the entire three hour game, but they do not do anything because there is a lot of money to be made for cities from football and baseball. I really am very cynical about how they choose to enforce these laws.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:40 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Well, chances are high that the guy killed was also a pos drunk driver back in the days before he was ready to get help, too. In fact, a lot of peoples first exposure to AA comes from being sentenced by a judge to attend AA meetings as part of a DUI sentence. I used to date a 15 years sober, committed AA member. He was forever picking up and riding new members to meetings, because almost no new members have licenses by the time they get to AA. Most people have to hit bottom before they get help. Perhaps this will be that drunk drivers bottom. I have a feeling though the man killed wouldn’t judge the drunk driver as harshly as non-alcoholics will because he was him at one point in his life most likely.
THIS^^^^^^ was exactly what I was thinking. Certainly doesn't help the dead guy but maybe, just maybe his death will straighten out the drunk guy's life or someone else's that heard the story.

My uncles were great guys............that drank/partied for decades. Unfortunately a girl lost her life in the process. 2 drunk drivers hit a girl, my uncle left the scene claiming he didn't realize that the girl was hit/involved. The state could not prove which drunk hit her at the time. They couldn't prove she wasn't already dead in the street and neither of these two guys actually killed her.

He lost his license in multiple states, 20+ years of DUI/suspended licenses and he finally realized there has to be a better way of living. He is clean and sober almost 20 years, my other uncle was clean and sober for over 30 years. Irony? His girlfriend was killed by an impaired driver during a charity bike ride. Girl got 15-40 years (2 people died that day).

Life isn't always fair..........

Old 05-18-2021, 07:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
I don’t think .5 or would be buzzed at all. I think that is ridiculous, and I do think it is about the revenue. I am very cynical about it. If they really wanted to stop it, why don’t they check everybody’s breath alcohol level or as they’re leaving a Phillies game or an Eagles game, or pull people over as soon as they leave the lot? They know very well there are 20,000 people in there at any given time drinking throughout the entire three hour game, but they do not do anything because there is a lot of money to be made for cities from football and baseball. I really am very cynical about how they choose to enforce these laws.
I think it could be proven that cops look the other way for DUIs relating to local sporting events, Im fairly sure they are told not to target fans too much...and really that makes sense, in many cities, the city is financially invested into their pro sports teams (for things like new stadiums), so its not in the citys interest to give fans DUIs after games.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:56 AM

Keep in mind the police need probable cause to stop a traveling car so until the driver screws up or shows the signs of driving intoxicated there's not much they can do. It's not the police at the actual location that need to be looking for drunks it's the police in the fan's hometowns or towns a few miles away where the drivers are out of heavy traffic and can drive faster. Leaving a big event everyone is essentially boxed in until the get away from the stadium area.

If I was a sheriff or police chief I'd have patrol cars actively seeking drunk drivers on Sat and Sun nights or a big game. Not a fan but in state where they set up a lot of dui check points Thanksgiving Eve with in a 1/4 mile of many a bar/restaurant. They don't seem to lose business.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think it could be proven that cops look the other way for DUIs relating to local sporting events, Im fairly sure they are told not to target fans too much...and really that makes sense, in many cities, the city is financially invested into their pro sports teams (for things like new stadiums), so its not in the citys interest to give fans DUIs after games.
I agree. The city also gets revenue from all those beer sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events