Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 01:17 PM

36,576 posts, read 30,907,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Onto page 8 and surprised no one stated the obvious solution to this.

Let a gallon of gas raise to $10 or even $15.

Expensive, sure, But you know what else it would be?

Still available. It would instantly ferret out and forcibly end this knee jerk panic buying behavior. Only those who absolutely need it would actually buy it. But you know. "Anti Gouging" laws.

Can have supply. Or you can have cheap gas.

This show that you can't always have both.
I dont think that will solve this problem.
Gas is technically available just cant get it where it needs to be at the moment. You want to put the burden on those who actually have to go to work everyday.
When gas prices rise so does everything else. It cost more to goods delivered, services cost more, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 02:13 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,480,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Exactly. I guess people in some regions dont realize there are lots of places where public transportation is non existent.
No bus lines out our way either. Neither of us is healthy enough to pedal into town on a bicycle at our ages. Walking would take hours, but would probably kill us halfway there.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:40 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,350,535 times
There isn't a "gasoline shortage." What we have now is a distribution problem - because of the pipeline shutdown, the gasoline that is available can't easily or efficiently get to the places that need it.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:44 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,653,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There isn't a "gasoline shortage." What we have now is a distribution problem - because of the pipeline shutdown, the gasoline that is available can't easily or efficiently get to the places that need it.
Which, in turn, results in a shortage in the areas impacted by the pipeline's shutdown. Thus, while you are correct that there is not a national gasoline shortage, there most certainly is a shortage in certain locations.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Onto page 8 and surprised no one stated the obvious solution to this.

Let a gallon of gas raise to $10 or even $15.

Expensive, sure, But you know what else it would be?

Still available. It would instantly ferret out and forcibly end this knee jerk panic buying behavior. Only those who absolutely need it would actually buy it. But you know. "Anti Gouging" laws.

Can have supply. Or you can have cheap gas.

This show that you can't always have both.
Agreed. It's simple supply and demand economics, really. But no one wants to ever pay what it actually costs to provide a good or service during a shortage, so we're stuck with anti-gouging laws and empty shelves and tanks.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Which, in turn, results in a shortage in the areas impacted by the pipeline's shutdown. Thus, while you are correct that there is not a national gasoline shortage, there most certainly is a shortage in certain locations.
its funny how people are having semantics issues. the most common is "there is no shortage, its just panic buying." well, if you are going to a gas station and there is no gas, thats a shortage no matter what the reason is.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There doesn’t have to be that stark choice. Invest some of these massive profits in cyber security and shoring up infrastructure instead of executive bonuses and stock buybacks and there wouldn’t be a shortage. I think most people who buy gas need it.
You make a good point about shoring up our infrastructure. But in the context of the current gas shortages, that's kind of like saying that the Titanic should have had enough lifeboats for everyone. Of course it should have. But when the ship hit the iceberg, it was a moot point. Nothing could be done about it at that moment. So instead, the question became, how will the finite and inadequate supply of lifeboat seats be allocated? The same issue is facing people in the Southeast right now, today, as they deal with the gas shortage. And deal with it they must, regardless of what should be done about the infrastructure.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:04 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
Just got back from having to pick up a prescription. Was nearly on empty as I had just finished a week of long commutes. Took me four attempts to find a gas station that still had gas available. I didn't have to wait but people were quickly pulling in behind me and by the time I left there were lines at all the pumps. Prices were slightly higher than last week, but not by much.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:06 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,659,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We are more dependent on foreign oil as we were in the 1970's energy crisis. Upstate NY prices are increasing daily but haven't noticed gas lines.
Uh, nope.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,127,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My husband got up early this morning to try to get gas for my car. No luck. Everyone's out in our area. I only use 10 gallons a month but I'm down to 2 gallons and can't work from home.

Yesterday our UPS driver was telling us roads were blocked all over town with gas lines.

But I have plenty of toilet paper. LOL
Is he going to siphon gas from his vehicle to your car? Is he low on gas too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events