Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 02:34 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

And, yet another stupid TikTok challenge, she came close to becoming a Darwin Award winner.

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/29...-heart-attack/

Quote:
An OnlyFans star suffered a heart attack after trying TikTok's dangerous "dry scooping pre-workout" challenge.

Briatney Portillo, 20, is one of many who participated in the trend that has been seen all over TikTok lately which involves taking a scoop of pre-workout powder without any water, also known as “dry scooping.”

The OnlyFans star had a terrifying experience in April that caused her to be in the hospital overnight and recently posted a TikTok telling about her dry scooping experience.

In the video, the 20-year-old is in a hospital gown with a clown filter over her face looking at the camera.

“Taking a dry pre workout scoop because I saw it trending on tiktok. Ending up in the hospital because I had a heart attack," she wrote in her vid.
TikTok ‘dry scooping’ trend is dangerous, experts say — and an awful idea. Here’s why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 02:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
this doesnt make sense. maybe she has no experience taking pre-workout powder, she doesnt look like she works out. why would it have a greater impact if you take it dry vs with water? if you take the same dosage, a little bit of water isnt going to make a significiant difference. what would make a difference is if she took more than a proper serving. maybe she did that since she likely has little experience with it or exercising.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:56 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Some brands of pre workout powder were banned and/or reformulated if I recall because it was giving some people heart attacks when taken as directed.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Some brands of pre workout powder were banned and/or reformulated if I recall because it was giving some people heart attacks when taken as directed.
not that i am aware of. these powders are typically just a caffeine delivery system with some other fancy things thrown in the pretend they are magical.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:28 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this doesnt make sense. maybe she has no experience taking pre-workout powder, she doesnt look like she works out. why would it have a greater impact if you take it dry vs with water? if you take the same dosage, a little bit of water isnt going to make a significiant difference. what would make a difference is if she took more than a proper serving. maybe she did that since she likely has little experience with it or exercising.
It shouldn’t make any difference at all if it was dry or in liquid. Sounds like the powder shouldn’t even have been on the market.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It shouldn’t make any difference at all if it was dry or in liquid. Sounds like the powder shouldn’t even have been on the market.
there are a lot of pre-workout powders on the market. when i was in high school, they used to have ephedra which was perfectly safe if taken in an appropriate dose. the government banned that and if you want it now you would need to either buy an asthma medication (primatene) or find some other illicit way just to increase your metabolism by 2-3%. nowadays, they are mainly just caffeine. hard to take that caffeine off the market.

this story is 100% bs without more info.

i remember back in those days i spent my online time on various fitness/bodybuilding forums. there was a product some people would take called DNP. it would raise a persons body temperature and they would sweat profusely. it was good for losing weight quickly. it was also considered very dangerous as one issue was that there was no limit to how much it would raise your body temperature. the temp would just keep going up and if you took too much you could die. i dont go on those types of forums anymore, i wonder if that product is still out there.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Screwed up electrolyte levels in her blood, leading to a cardiac event? Too much water and not enough salt and potassium can lead to ‘water toxicity’ (When I did long distance triathlon, they’d weigh us before the race and use that as a proxy for hydration levels if you ended up in the med tent to help determine appropriate treatment because you didn’t want to push more fluids into someone already retaining them)

I could easily see too many electrolytes and not enough fluids also being too harsh on the circulatory system.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:00 AM

765 posts, read 621,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Screwed up electrolyte levels in her blood, leading to a cardiac event? Too much water and not enough salt and potassium can lead to ‘water toxicity’ (When I did long distance triathlon, they’d weigh us before the race and use that as a proxy for hydration levels if you ended up in the med tent to help determine appropriate treatment because you didn’t want to push more fluids into someone already retaining them)

I could easily see too many electrolytes and not enough fluids also being too harsh on the circulatory system.
Too much caffine can elevate the heart rate to unsafe levels, too.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
Too much caffine can elevate the heart rate to unsafe levels, too.
here is a popular pre-workout drink: https://shop.bodybuilding.com/produc...d=CELLU4620198

it contains 150mg of caffeine which is the part that actually does something, the other ingredients are bs. a typical cup of coffee has about 100mg caffeine, so its 1.5 cups of coffee equivalent (8oz coffee, which is probably half what i normally consume).

taking too much caffeine in a short period can be dangerous but one would have to take substantially more than a regular dose to get that. consuming dry power doesnt change anything except you could choke on it. i remember my younger brother used to consume knox gelatin powder, supposed to be good for something i guess. he would put the dry powder in his mouth then drink water to take it down. one time i was in the kitchen with him and he was doing this and i guess he got a swallow of pure powder and then he proceeded to throw up in the kitchen sink. it was hilarious.

a lot of these "challenges" are fictitious and they are spread by people who just want to mess with older people who believe every single one of them and think that kids these days are so dumb for doing all of these challenges that arent even real.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:16 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
So this whole thing has really nothing to do with the Tik Tok challenge. The woman ate what sounds like a serving of a legal powder sold in stores, and it had an adverse effect in her. If she just bought it for a post-workout drink I wonder if people would still be bringing up Darwin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events