Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 03:41 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,999 times

Advertisements

Great story. When I was in college I worked in the dormitory kitchen. The dorm was a high rise building and one time the sewer blocked up. Everything that was flushed in all the toilets in the dorm came up through the open drains in the kitchen floor. The floor was flooded with flushed water and floating turds. Luckily it was in the mid afternoon between meal times and a lot of the students were in class.

It was all kitchen hands on deck (the boss and all the workers) as we opened the loading bay doors and everyone grabbed a mop or a 30" wide floor squeegee and started pushing all the dirty water and toilet contents out the loading bay doors. We did this for about 25 minutes until the blockage was fixed and flushed water stopped coming up the open drains in the kitchen floor. While we were pushing the flood out the loading bay doors, the contaminated water had been splashed everywhere in the kitchen. We spent the next few hours trying to clean all the surfaces in the kitchen, the floors, the walls, the counters, the closed food canisters, etc. We never told anyone. We feared if it got out there would be a riot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I was around 16 or so and the only reason I took the job was because it was the only one I could get so I could get off school half day.
I was supposed to be just a dishwasher but they had me cleaning windows, peeling onions, garlic and grinding tomatoes, cleaning restrooms and a lot of other stuff. I had to wear the paper hat and white apron, the hat had been wet so many times it would no longer fasten and hung down the side of my head. The apron was always covered with tomato juice and spaghetti sauce from helping the cook, it looked like I just butchered somebody.
Because of my appearance I was seldom permitted to enter the dining room when people were in there eating. Only when someone barfed or spilled something they would send me in with a bucket and rag mop, that kind of work was beneath the busboys and waiters. I would push that shedding mop around the floor and under tables while customers would lift their feet when I asked " excuse me " and that mop would leave it's strings all around the table legs, looked like dead worms.
One day one of the waiters was back in the kitchen and took some ice cubes from the icebox, rolled them into a napkin and started beating them on the floor and stomping on them. The cook asked what he was doing and he said, " that SOB out there has to have crushed ice."
Another time the cook was stirring a pot of sauce and the ashes from his cigarette was falling in the pot. The owner came back and saw him and told him to put his cigarette out or smoke out back. He put the cigarette out by dipping it in the pot he was boiling noodles in.

We weren't allowed to go for lunch, we had to stay in the kitchen and eat whatever the cook was making, usually lasagna which I can't stand, so I usually didn't eat at all. Some of those days just got too much for me from not eating and I noticed a cardboard barrel in the freezer filled with those long loaves of French bread so I would tear off little pieces from them when I walked by and scarf them down before anyone saw me.
One day the cook went in there and noticed all the loaves. He told the owner that rats or something has been gnawing on the bread. They couldn't figure out how rats were getting in the freezer. The next day an exterminator was in the kitchen placing traps around and he asked me if I ever saw any rats back there. When he asked me that I had just caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window and I came close to saying, " Just one."
I remember the owner telling us dishwashers to save any items such as those little squares of butter and other stuff that came back on the trays untouched and put them in the icebox. I though I was cheap.
I got my brother a job there working with me and when I went out back to empty a trash can a waiter who was smoking a cigarette said, " You and your brother look like convicts."
I worked there almost a year, my brother just 2 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 05:13 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,379,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I run a restaurant and we never use any chemical agents for things like this. Our health inspector expressly forbids this sort of thing. Each night our nozzles are removed and placed in a container full of carbonated water. The next morning, they are washed with regular soap and water and then run though the sanitizer. It would be absolutely impossible for something like this to happen at my restaurant.
When I worked in the office when we would decided on a place to go for lunch I would pull up the county health inspections of the restaurant read some of the violations. I remember a common violation I read was mold in the soda nozzles. I never got soda at restaurants always water.

Last edited by kell490; 01-23-2022 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-23-2022, 06:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,050,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
When I worked in the office when we would decided on a place to go for lunch I would pull up the county health inspections of the restaurant read some of the violations. I remember a common violation I read was mold in the soda nozzles. I never got soda at restaurants always water.
The water comes out of the same soda machine nozzles.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:12 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,379,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The water comes out of the same soda machine nozzles.
That's true

Old 01-23-2022, 08:47 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I would probably get a B-, because one of the dogs licks the floor sometimes and the cat bats things under the stove so you never know what's under there lol!
There are cat treats under my refrigerator and stove. Epic failure.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:04 PM

50,965 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
They can't be around 24/7 and you can't idiot proof everything.
I once caught an employee cleaning with a generic spray bottle instead of any one of the approved cleaning solutions we had, when I asked him what it was he told me he had mixed together several cleaners to make a 'super cleaner'. Considering some of those cleaners would take the paint off the shelves I guess I'm lucky the dummy didn't blow the whole store up.
You can actually die from toxic fumes from mixing some cleaning agents together.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,583,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I was around 16 or so and the only reason I took the job was because it was the only one I could get so I could get off school half day.
I was supposed to be just a dishwasher but they had me cleaning windows, peeling onions, garlic and grinding tomatoes, cleaning restrooms and a lot of other stuff. I had to wear the paper hat and white apron, the hat had been wet so many times it would no longer fasten and hung down the side of my head. The apron was always covered with tomato juice and spaghetti sauce from helping the cook, it looked like I just butchered somebody.
Because of my appearance I was seldom permitted to enter the dining room when people were in there eating. Only when someone barfed or spilled something they would send me in with a bucket and rag mop, that kind of work was beneath the busboys and waiters. I would push that shedding mop around the floor and under tables while customers would lift their feet when I asked " excuse me " and that mop would leave it's strings all around the table legs, looked like dead worms.
One day one of the waiters was back in the kitchen and took some ice cubes from the icebox, rolled them into a napkin and started beating them on the floor and stomping on them. The cook asked what he was doing and he said, " that SOB out there has to have crushed ice."
Another time the cook was stirring a pot of sauce and the ashes from his cigarette was falling in the pot. The owner came back and saw him and told him to put his cigarette out or smoke out back. He put the cigarette out by dipping it in the pot he was boiling noodles in.

We weren't allowed to go for lunch, we had to stay in the kitchen and eat whatever the cook was making, usually lasagna which I can't stand, so I usually didn't eat at all. Some of those days just got too much for me from not eating and I noticed a cardboard barrel in the freezer filled with those long loaves of French bread so I would tear off little pieces from them when I walked by and scarf them down before anyone saw me.
One day the cook went in there and noticed all the loaves. He told the owner that rats or something has been gnawing on the bread. They couldn't figure out how rats were getting in the freezer. The next day an exterminator was in the kitchen placing traps around and he asked me if I ever saw any rats back there. When he asked me that I had just caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window and I came close to saying, " Just one."
I remember the owner telling us dishwashers to save any items such as those little squares of butter and other stuff that came back on the trays untouched and put them in the icebox. I though I was cheap.
I got my brother a job there working with me and when I went out back to empty a trash can a waiter who was smoking a cigarette said, " You and your brother look like convicts."
I worked there almost a year, my brother just 2 days.
I love your sense of humor. Great story telling.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:39 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,468,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I love your sense of humor. Great story telling.
I agree. That was awesome.

aliasfinn, I was a waitress during college summers, I would have definitely hung with you. I had a couple deviant friends and they were the most fun. I would have LOVED to work at that place.

Hope you provide more of these kinds of accounts.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:37 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,720,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Everybody looking for a payday...which has better odds,that or the lottery?

Just because you'd rather have $9 million than a functioning esophagus, it does not follow that most people think that way.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:20 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,484,651 times
Our business model that has strict rules on chemicals. Now has ( five years and counting). ' organic' clean products. Be it sanitizing kitchen trays to linen washing.
Might as well soak everything in lemon juice, vinegar , or salt water. Mind you the public wants all food service to be sterile and in compliance .
I think this gent deserved to be compensated. I think THAT particular location is 100% culpable.

You bet I'm all for soaking certain products in a chlorine base solution. Followed by rinse and hot steam. Not sure how a solution though is kept uncapped or not labeled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events