Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 02:38 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
If you clicked the link you would see it's NOT a news article. Also stated in first line it's a PETA link. This is an update on the monkeys and the airline that brought them here from PETA's own website. (should I add - Sheesh? ) LOL
In all fairness, we have to test our cancer treatments, vaccines, perfumes, make-up, or what-have-yous, on some kind of animal. Finding human guinea pigs is not so easy. It's not fair, it's not always humane, it is what it is. Maybe one day we will know how to do that just using human cells in a petri dish. Until that time, what do you suggest?
It's what we currently do. We use animals to test before we subject ourselves. Not something I'm proud we do, however I see no other alternative at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 02:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
In all fairness, we have to test our cancer treatments, vaccines, perfumes, make-up, or what-have-yous, on some kind of animal. Finding human guinea pigs is not so easy. It's not fair, it's not always humane, it is what it is. Maybe one day we will know how to do that just using human cells in a petri dish. Until that time, what do you suggest?
It's what we currently do. We use animals to test before we subject ourselves. Not something I'm proud we do, however I see no other alternative at this point.
Not the topic of the thread...but...Modernizing the FDA is a great start. A new forward thinking director for the NIH now that the fossil Francis Collins finally retired is another. Much money is wasted anyway and is just a way to get gov't grant money at taxpayer expense. $19 BILLION a year in fact. Almost half the total NIH budget. Up to 96% (sometimes 100%) of animal testing fails in human trials.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4594046/

A bipartisan bill is already underway to end animal testing mandates. Many of these are not needed. In fact, the EU banned cosmetic testing on animals in 2013.

Paul, Booker Introduce Bipartisan FDA Modernization Act to End Animal Testing Mandates

https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/pau...sting-mandates

Old 01-28-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Not the topic of the thread...but...Modernizing the FDA is a great start. A new forward thinking director for the NIH now that the fossil Francis Collins finally retired is another. Much money is wasted anyway and is just a way to get gov't grant money at taxpayer expense. $19 BILLION a year in fact. Almost half the total NIH budget. Up to 96% (sometimes 100%) of animal testing fails in human trials.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4594046/

A bipartisan bill is already underway to end animal testing mandates. Many of these are not needed. In fact, the EU banned cosmetic testing on animals in 2013.

Paul, Booker Introduce Bipartisan FDA Modernization Act to End Animal Testing Mandates

https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/pau...sting-mandates
It may not be the topic as per the OP, but really, it is the topic. It's why the monkeys are here in the first place.
That's an interesting bill, but this quoted: The bill would not ban animal testing outright, but would allow the option for drug sponsors to use alternative methods where they are suitable. makes me wonder how cost effective pharmaceuticals would find switching. The door is still left open for animal testing, it doesn't ban it, however it does stop the mandate, which is the first step in the right direction.

A quick google search led me to this below and other alternatives listed in the article, as PETA is of course fighting for this cause:
https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-...nimal-testing/

In Vitro Testing
Researchers have created “organs-on-chips” that contain human cells grown in a state-of-the-art system to mimic the structure and function of human organs and organ systems. The chips can be used instead of animals in disease research, drug testing, and toxicity testing and have been shown to replicate human physiology, diseases, and drug responses more accurately than crude animal experiments do. Some companies, such as AlveoliX, MIMETAS, and Emulate, Inc., have already turned these chips into products that other researchers can use in place of animals.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It may not be the topic as per the OP, but really, it is the topic. It's why the monkeys are here in the first place.
That's an interesting bill, but this quoted: The bill would not ban animal testing outright, but would allow the option for drug sponsors to use alternative methods where they are suitable. makes me wonder how cost effective pharmaceuticals would find switching. The door is still left open for animal testing, it doesn't ban it, however it does stop the mandate, which is the first step in the right direction.

A quick google search led me to this below and other alternatives listed in the article, as PETA is of course fighting for this cause:
https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-...nimal-testing/

In Vitro Testing
Researchers have created “organs-on-chips” that contain human cells grown in a state-of-the-art system to mimic the structure and function of human organs and organ systems. The chips can be used instead of animals in disease research, drug testing, and toxicity testing and have been shown to replicate human physiology, diseases, and drug responses more accurately than crude animal experiments do. Some companies, such as AlveoliX, MIMETAS, and Emulate, Inc., have already turned these chips into products that other researchers can use in place of animals.
The new bill would get to the heart of the waste, fraud and abuse. The "mandated" tests (many not necessary) frequently come with gov't funding attached.

To give you an idea of an example of waste, check out what they are doing to Marmosets. This is for a menopause study. Women have been going through it since the beginning of time and many would gladly volunteer for free. They even isolate and zip tie these social animals. Adding mittens to mimic hot flashes? Oh my, the idiocy, not to mention unnecessary cruelty is beyond belief. (But, follow the money...)

Marmosets Die, UMass Experimenter Collects $3.8 Million in Tax Money

There’s an obscenity masquerading as a scientific experiment going on in a University of Massachusetts–Amherst (UMass) laboratory that torments and kills delicate marmoset monkeys. The experiment claims to study age-related changes in human cognition associated with menopause.

But here’s the kicker: Gentle marmosets—who are not miniature human beings to begin with—don’t experience menopause, so experimenters have to approximate the symptoms to compensate.

News Flash: Marmosets Don’t Get Hot Flashes
Marmosets don’t go through menopause, so Lacreuse devised ways to simulate it. She surgically removes marmosets’ ovaries and then uses hand warmers on the monkeys to mimic hot flashes.

You read that right. She uses hand warmers, like the kind you put in your mittens in January.

This is not science.

https://support.peta.org/page/32677/...1?locale=en-US

That's a good example you gave. PETA has a whole research modernization proposal here if interested. Thankfully it has interest from ethical scientists.
https://www.peta.org/wp-content/uplo...ation-deal.pdf

Old 01-29-2022, 04:38 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Quote:
If you clicked the link you would see it's NOT a news article. Also stated in first line it's a PETA link. This is an update on the monkeys and the airline that brought them here from PETA's own website. (should I add - Sheesh? ) LOL
We all know it’s a peta website that you graciously passed along to help peta explain their tactics and self promotion. Points were that you posted as if this was a legit news update “at least one airline won’t ship anymore monkeys” when it’s simply a peta bullying update sent to self promote. Why help peta?

Old 01-29-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
We all know it’s a peta website that you graciously passed along to help peta explain their tactics and self promotion. Points were that you posted as if this was a legit news update “at least one airline won’t ship anymore monkeys” when it’s simply a peta bullying update sent to self promote. Why help peta?
I am on at least 4 email lists for various animal welfare orgs. Doesn't matter which one if they got the info first. (Sounds like you may have an issue as you keep bringing it up - FYI you could always skip posts with content you don't like I come to CD to hopefully LEARN something from others, not waste my valuable time picking fights)

It just happened yesterday so no time for other news outlets to pick up yet. The fact the airline that carried these animals to the US has agreed to end their contract after contact from PETA is "news" regardless of source.

Direct quote with name from 1st link I posted:
Quote:
“The current contract for the transport of the Macaques (captive bred for export) will not be renewed when it expires at the end of February.”

—Michael Joseph, Chair, Kenya Airways
In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a lot more to this story that journalists can dig into. Such as, the airline may have quickly ended this contract as they may not have been fully aware (until PETA spelled it out) what they were even carrying; i.e., were the monkeys quarantined and tested BEFORE they got on the flight? Pretty relevant as airline staff AND workers at the final NY airport destination may have been exposed to who knows what.

Another good question is why they weren't taken to a facility closer to the NY airport. Why transport them in an unmarked trailer (no biohazard signs I saw) all the way to Florida? Did the driver even know what he was transporting? He said they were cats. Was that a lie or was he not made aware either? Also, if not wild caught, what conditions were the monkeys raised in? Many come from shady suppliers. They are bred in dirty, crowded, factory farm like conditions in Africa (much worse than US puppy mills) making them even more prone to diseases and viruses than they may naturally carry. Questions, questions...

Safety protocols are of the utmost importance in these situations. Unless one is pro-Ebola or something.

The citizens have had enough and will seek out info from all sources. Based on posts within this thread some may want to know. Idiocy like this could start another pandemic here. It's not a question of "if" but when.

Last edited by motownnative; 01-29-2022 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-29-2022, 03:40 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
She was vaccinated for Rabies due to this. Primates aren't not primary rabies reservoirs. They had the actual "hissing monkey" to test for rabies (it was caged & remained so), why didn't they do that first before subjecting her to a vaccine?

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/environ...uman-primates/

I mean, primates do carry a lot of nasty diseases & we shouldn't be "harvesting" their tissues for use in our biologics (think: SV40 from contaminated Polio vaccines) but rabies is highly unlikely to be one of them.

PETA asked for & was granted, an investigation by the USDA regarding unethical treatment of the monkeys involved in this accident.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/0...-pa-crash.html
The USDA isn't going to do a damn thing for PETA. They are covering up for a foreign animal research lab that I know is doing painful research on sheep and equine. I saw the inspection reports on the USDA website and now they have deleted it. The lab is not telling the public what is really going on at that place and the USDA was told to not make the reports accessible to the public.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
The USDA isn't going to do a damn thing for PETA. They are covering up for a foreign animal research lab that I know is doing painful research on sheep and equine. I saw the inspection reports on the USDA website and now they have deleted it. The lab is not telling the public what is really going on at that place and the USDA was told to not make the reports accessible to the public.
Go to wayback machine and prove it?

Old 01-30-2022, 07:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
PETA - Patiently Eating Tasty Animals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events