Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 06:56 AM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times

Advertisements

Makes me wonder what else they cut corners on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 07:37 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
So the Marshalls can impound the boat...do they have an officer with an unlimited Master Mariner license? Or do they just contract a pilot to park the thing?

Old 01-25-2022, 07:45 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
So the Marshalls can impound the boat...do they have an officer with an unlimited Master Mariner license? Or do they just contract a pilot to park the thing?
Every port all over the world has a local Port Captain that comes on board as the ship comes near to take over the ship and guide into the dock. The Ships Captain actually turns the controls over to the local Port captain.

I would suspect a Port like Miami would have quite a few if not a hundred Port Captains who who take charge of the ship. The Lein Holders would probably pay big $$ to secure the shipe and put it in storage.

We cruised the Mediterranean back in Sept 2021. There were quite a few ships in storage at these smaller ports where I would assume it would be cheaper to dock and store.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:40 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Every port all over the world has a local Port Captain that comes on board as the ship comes near to take over the ship and guide into the dock. The Ships Captain actually turns the controls over to the local Port captain.

I would suspect a Port like Miami would have quite a few if not a hundred Port Captains who who take charge of the ship. The Lein Holders would probably pay big $$ to secure the shipe and put it in storage.

We cruised the Mediterranean back in Sept 2021. There were quite a few ships in storage at these smaller ports where I would assume it would be cheaper to dock and store.
Yes, but will they (the port captain) get involved with the impound process?

Old 01-25-2022, 10:53 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yes, but will they (the port captain) get involved with the impound process?
Seems like they have to. They won't actually be involved in details, hey probably won't even know it's impounded at the time they are guiding it in. They'd just be told to park the ship. I highly doubt the crew is going to fight them or anything, or that the cops are going to commando on board from a helicopter and commandeer it. I think it will be closer to a cop telling you to pull over.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:58 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Seems like they have to. They won't actually be involved in details, hey probably won't even know it's impounded at the time they are guiding it in. They'd just be told to park the ship. I highly doubt the crew is going to fight them or anything, or that the cops are going to commando on board from a helicopter and commandeer it. I think it will be closer to a cop telling you to pull over.
I would guess the Lein Holder has hired a crew on standby waiting to bring the ship to a friendly or cheaper port and secure it.

Ever watch those Repo shows where they Repo Luxury airplanes ? They have Pilots on standby they call and Wisk those planes away quickly.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:00 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would guess the Lein Holder has hired a crew on standby waiting to bring the ship to a friendly or cheaper port and secure it.

Ever watch those Repo shows where they Repo Luxury airplanes ? They have Pilots on standby they call and Wisk those planes away quickly.
I think it’s a little different when there’s thousands of passengers on board, but I’m sure once it’s docked they’ll just let everyone off. But I don’t know what happens if they just continue to avoid Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events