Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 02:11 PM

17,332 posts, read 15,507,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Scuba diver for many years here. Gotta have some fun in life, everything is dangerous, including breathing.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/sh...re-risk/death/
This. Exactly this. I SCUBA dive as well, and have been doing it since I was 17. As have countless other folks. Sea creatures generally aren't out to get you. I'm more wary of land creatures, if anything, which include bears, coyotes, alligators, and snakes, here.

I have never once been in fear for my life while diving.

I have been a bit scared while camping, and ESPECIALLY while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 12:34 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,213,501 times
What an unfortunate encounter with the great white for the swimmer.

It is amazing that so many people were able to witness the attack and even record a part of it.
Scary to watch, but morbid curiosity (guilty!, sorry) takes over.
The movements of the shark are fast and menacingly graceful - fascinating

They say it was quick, mercifully. RIP.
Glad nobody said ”he died doing what he loved”

RIP, no one and nothing can hurt you again. Condolences to friends, family and fiancé

Old 02-24-2022, 07:08 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,412,356 times
It's very tragic that this happened, but I don't think it should deter people from swimming in the ocean. Getting attacked by a shark is extremely rare, especially if you swim close to shore. I might worry a bit more if I were in the middle of the ocean snorkeling, but I never hear people getting attacked by sharks that way either.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:12 PM

22,043 posts, read 13,063,881 times
Doesn't the act of people fishing from shore attract sharks? Make sense to me...

Old 02-25-2022, 10:32 AM

50,979 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Doesn't the act of people fishing from shore attract sharks? Make sense to me...
It's not that fishermen attract sharks, but that fishermen fish in places that have a lot of fish, and those attract sharks I guess. Like fishermen in boats will go out and fish where they see a school of dolphins, because there are probably a lot of fish there.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:43 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,213,501 times
So the lessons: don’t swim where people fish and don’t wear a dry suit - especially dark colors which could make you mistaken for a seal by shark

Old 02-25-2022, 11:54 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,076,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
This. Exactly this. I SCUBA dive as well, and have been doing it since I was 17. As have countless other folks. Sea creatures generally aren't out to get you. I'm more wary of land creatures, if anything, which include bears, coyotes, alligators, and snakes, here.

I have never once been in fear for my life while diving.

I have been a bit scared while camping, and ESPECIALLY while driving.

Too funny, driving in Florida is a greater risk.
Unless you're on the east coast, New Smyrna beach to be exact.
If I'm not mistaken, that particular area south of Daytona is the number 1 beach area on the planet; for shark attacks.
Never dove off the west coast, too murky; but bumped into a huge ray off the east coast once out near the channel markers.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:27 PM

7,704 posts, read 3,319,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Also, it is much riskier statistically to drive to work than it is to get in the ocean.

Is it? Or is it just that radically far more people go to work every day than get in the ocean every day? So, of course the numbers are much lower.

I work in an organization of 90,000 people. I was a pedestrian run over by a truck. That is a 1 in 100,000 probability.

Low probability stuff still does happen.

Also, consider those dang statistics... ...heart disease and cancer has usually been in the realm of Aged people... ...it's not the 35 year old that is sitting there dealing with heart disease and cancer. It usually is the younger people dying from accidents.

Be careful how you interpret statistics.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:34 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,317,093 times
In NSW last year we had 270 deaths caused by road accidents and 99 from drowning. So water is certainly a hazard, with proportionally more males and people not born in Australia coming to grief in water.

I certainly would not be frightened of sharks but I only swim in patrolled areas.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:12 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,865,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events