Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 04:00 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Advertisements

Horrible, just the sheer terror of being killed in that manner.

British shark victim fought to PROTECT predator that killed him: Ex-RAF expat dive instructor, 35, objected to protective nets around beaches - six months before he was killed by 13-ft long great white in Sydney ahead of wedding to 'girl of his dreams'

Quote:
The British diving instructor killed by a great white shark in Sydney had previously objected to protective nets around beaches - six months before his tragic death ahead of a wedding to the 'girl of his dreams'.

Simon Nellist was attacked from below by the 13ft-long predator at Buchan Point near Little Bay about 500ft from the beach yesterday afternoon. His remains and pieces of a wetsuit were found in the water an hour later.

The 35-year-old, who was attacked while training for a charity swim, was a former Royal Air Force engineer who was due to marry his fiancée after the pandemic delayed their wedding which had been due to take place in 2021.

Mr Nellist swam in the area daily but was against the idea of bringing in protection for swimmers because of the risk to wildlife. He wrote on Facebook on
Detail in British swimmer’s training ritual could hold key to shark attack mystery

A man's death became a gruesome viral sensation — and it says a lot about us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 08:15 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,137,118 times
Yes, I read about that and feel bad for the poor man, it was a horrible way to go. The truth is, whenever you enter the ocean, you’re in the habitat of creatures who place you in the food chain. It’s a risk and and shark attacks seem to be increasing. I believe that while wearing his wetsuit, the shark mistook him for a seal, much like CA surfers when they cross paths with a shark.

Hope his family and fiancé can eventually find some peace.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:44 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Yes, I read about that and feel bad for the poor man, it was a horrible way to go. The truth is, whenever you enter the ocean, you’re in the habitat of creatures who place you in the food chain. It’s a risk and and shark attacks seem to be increasing. I believe that while wearing his wetsuit, the shark mistook him for a seal, much like CA surfers when they cross paths with a shark.

In 2021, Australia saw 3 deaths from shark attacks.

Over 1100 people died on Australian roads.

It is true that people spend more time on roads than they do in the ocean. But there are a lot of things that cause humans to die, and the overwhelming majority of them can be found on dry land.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:16 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,861,819 times
Quote:

Yep, whenever you go into the ocean you go down a bunch of links on the food chain. I love my position of being on top of it.

I offshore fished as my career for over 25 years and I've seen how fast these animals are. Makos, related to the White sharks, are one of the fastest there are and its amazing how quickly you can go through several hours of trolling without any sign of anything (on the surface) and suddenly a Mako will crash the unhooked "teaser" out of nowhere with such violence and a blink later be on a bait a couple hundred yards back and then back to the ones at the stern of the boat.

These predators can take out a swordfish.

And the numbers are increasing all along the east coast every year. The numbers of tunas, both large and small, getting bitten in half by these animals are at numbers never seen before. Off NC its not uncommon to go fishing for bigeye tuna (100 to 300lb class fish) and only get 1 or 2 to the boat whole after having a half dozen or so bitten in half.

Yep, I'll stay in the boat!

Old 02-20-2022, 10:37 AM

130,568 posts, read 12,152,083 times
Very sad, People need to be more aware of the dangers. When we lived by the Pacific, surfers would not go in the water if any shark fins were sighted. Or if any seal or sea lions were in the area.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:30 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Very sad, People need to be more aware of the dangers. When we lived by the Pacific, surfers would not go in the water if any shark fins were sighted. Or if any seal or sea lions were in the area.
So true. When I was young and stupid at age 18, I approached a solo sea lion. He bit me for getting too close. We just don't respect these huge creatures like we should!

Old 02-20-2022, 12:09 PM

130,568 posts, read 12,152,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So true. When I was young and stupid at age 18, I approached a solo sea lion. He bit me for getting too close. We just don't respect these huge creatures like we should!
That's true, but I think surfers avoid water with seals/sealions due to the possibility of them attracting sharks

Old 02-20-2022, 12:18 PM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
People assume sea lions are slow because they look clumsy and heavy on land. They weren't called sea lions for no reason! In AK there have been several accounts of sea lions pulling fishermen off boats. One notable story near my home about one that grabbed a teen by the butt and dragged him off a dock in broad daylight. He was lucky to survive.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:14 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Quote:
The truth is, whenever you enter the ocean, you’re in the habitat of creatures who place you in the food chain. It’s a risk and and shark attacks seem to be increasing. I believe that while wearing his wetsuit, the shark mistook him for a seal, much like CA surfers when they cross paths with a shark.
Today, at the beach in SoCal…. does this look like a seal? LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
British man, 35, is mauled to death by a great white shark in Sydney-445f6f0f-2952-4ba6-95e2-2ecd3a5bca65.jpeg  

Old 02-20-2022, 05:22 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,137,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Today, at the beach in SoCal…. does this look like a seal? LOL!
Great picture and surfing in SoCal is as cool as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events