Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 03:36 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,504,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He fought to protect marine life in general not just sharks. He felt the drum lines etc were ineffective and damaging to marine life. He was passionate about the ocean and all the life in it apparently. It already states in the article they aren’t planning to kill it. Millions of people enjoy the ocean, you make it sound like he did something unique or that most people would consider risky, that caused the attack. He didn’t do anything millions of people including children and grandparents don’t do all the time.
I'm not insinuating anything. I'm only stating a fact. Just because millions of people do it, doesn't mean it isn't risky to enter a man-eater's domain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 06:44 PM

7,814 posts, read 3,392,580 times
This is very sad as the man was so young. I do not think he would have suffered very long because you would bleed out so fast. Let's hope not.

I have not gone in the ocean since the year Jaws came out. I was afraid to swim in a pool for a while after seeing that movie. I have been on boats and sailed a couple of times though... I was 12 and I must have seen it 6 times in the theater. I have re-watched it over the years (my favorite movie especially now since it is vintage in several aspects).

Old 02-21-2022, 07:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,159,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Today, at the beach in SoCal…. does this look like a seal? LOL!
Yes. To a shark or even an orca as first seen from below, yes it absolutely can easily be taken for a seal.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:18 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,627,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm not insinuating anything. I'm only stating a fact. Just because millions of people do it, doesn't mean it isn't risky to enter a man-eater's domain.
Scuba diver for many years here. Gotta have some fun in life, everything is dangerous, including breathing.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/sh...re-risk/death/

Old 02-22-2022, 07:24 AM

5,263 posts, read 3,635,644 times
Finally we have something in this section that is literally a Current Event.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:00 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,325,448 times
I've developed an irrational fear of the ocean. I tried to snorkel in clear water in the Virgin Islands and Hawaii... couldn't do it. I can only walk out to about my knees. I've decided I like to look at the ocean, but not really get in it.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:07 AM

78,784 posts, read 60,983,135 times
There is some good youtube coverage (by drone) by Malibuartist of mostly great whites off southern california.

In a recent video with a shark expert there is discussion around how most of the great whites around so. cal are juvenile and thus are more similar in size to surf boards as they are more comparable in size to an 8-10+ foot shark etc.

They mentioned in Australia and S. Africa the sharks are more commonly larger and thus more attacks as a 12-14-16+ foot shark will view something surf board sized more as prey than threat.

I recall a tagged 10 foot great white got taken out (per tag data) and large great whites will kill smaller ones so they tend to be a bit leery for good reason.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:39 AM

22,146 posts, read 13,173,357 times
I've never heard it said that anyone was "mauled" by a shark; it's always "bitten" or "killed" (or maybe "eaten") by a shark, but "mauled" refers more to land animals...

That's all I've got!

Old 02-22-2022, 10:40 AM

51,175 posts, read 36,860,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Scuba diver for many years here. Gotta have some fun in life, everything is dangerous, including breathing.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/sh...re-risk/death/
Also, it is much riskier statistically to drive to work than it is to get in the ocean.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:59 PM

382 posts, read 175,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is some good youtube coverage (by drone) by Malibuartist of mostly great whites off southern california.

In a recent video with a shark expert there is discussion around how most of the great whites around so. cal are juvenile and thus are more similar in size to surf boards as they are more comparable in size to an 8-10+ foot shark etc.

They mentioned in Australia and S. Africa the sharks are more commonly larger and thus more attacks as a 12-14-16+ foot shark will view something surf board sized more as prey than threat.

I recall a tagged 10 foot great white got taken out (per tag data) and large great whites will kill smaller ones so they tend to be a bit leery for good reason.
it's basically just that as juveniles, they (great whites) tend to prey on fish and aren't large enough or skilled enough to prey on seals.

They tend to come closer to shore oftentimes, I haven't seen the YT channel you recommend but I know there is ariel footage where you can see sharks of all kinds (from California, Florida and even places like Mass. ) very close to packed beaches, just swimming past the breakers.

I think off California the presence of smaller "juvenile" white sharks is more common than previously thought and they don't inherently think of, make that confuse,,,, surfers as prey because at that life stage they prey on fish.

There are adult Great Whites off California though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events