Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 07:26 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would have that cat put down. That's ridiculous.
If the cat only behaves like that at his/her annual checkup (some do) it might make sense to give the cat some medication that will help him/her to relax before the next vet visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 11:58 PM

2,658 posts, read 1,180,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've worked with cat rescues and some of them do behave like those videos. I have never worn those heavy falconers type gloves myself but I can see why the medical staff does.

I remember taking a sweet kitty out of a cage to give it some love, attention and exercise - it was purring and happy out of the cage. I picked it up, still happy. After we played, I went to put the kitty back into a cage that was face level high and suddenly that cat bristled and became just like those cats in the videos are acting - hissing, trying to bite me and scratch me.

But I managed to wrangle that cat back into the cage so that I could then spend some one on one time with the next kitty who needed love and exercise.

This sort of thing happened from time to time. And, no, we couldn't just let out all of the cats to wander freely in the room because of worries that they would fight.
How would you like it if you were stuffed in a cage all day and night. Then only let out maybe if lucky for an hour at most. Its no kind of life for any animal or human. Doing that makes them go crazy after a while and it's a punishment for existing.

Steps can be taken for them to learn to get along. People just don't have the time, patience or even just don't care enough to learn and apply those necessary training steps.

Even if its a large room with cat trees and toys they can be separated without bars in a tiny freaking cage.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:17 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
That poor baby is terrified. Who knows what horrible experiences he/she has had in the past. They are torturing this poor little cat who is no match to the people holding him/her down. This poor animal is so terrified he can't hold his bowels. This is animal cruelty. There is no excuse for this

Also about the idiot who compained to the news that he got scratched for saying he will put the cat in its room. I have to question how long has that been going on? how many hours has the cat been punished simply for existing and due to the owners inability to understand certain behaviors from the human will cause a cat to act out. I suspect this is why some dogs attack their owners when the owners have no clue how to understand what the animal is being subjected to.

Some cats are isolated all day long in a tiny apartment or room. The owner doesn't come home until late and doesn't interact with it. The cat doesn't even get a cat companion. It must be a nightmare for these animals to live this way.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
How would you like it if you were stuffed in a cage all day and night. Then only let out maybe if lucky for an hour at most. Its no kind of life for any animal or human. Doing that makes them go crazy after a while and it's a punishment for existing.

Steps can be taken for them to learn to get along. People just don't have the time, patience or even just don't care enough to learn and apply those necessary training steps.

Even if its a large room with cat trees and toys they can be separated without bars in a tiny freaking cage.
You should volunteer your services to a rescue sometime. The volunteers are some of the nicest, most caring people that I have ever met and the animals are well cared for.

FWIW, the cages are large enough for the cats to have trees, toys, beds, food dishes and even platform levels. It's not like they are shoved into a tiny transport carrier. Did I mention that the volunteers are animal lovers?

Some cats do not like other cats. And, the truth is they may do better in a one cat home. The same holds true for dogs. The volunteers do their best to discover what each cat's individual needs are so that when they are adopted out there aren't any nasty surprises.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Some cats are isolated all day long in a tiny apartment or room. The owner doesn't come home until late and doesn't interact with it. The cat doesn't even get a cat companion. It must be a nightmare for these animals to live this way.
It is if there is no window to look out all day long, no toys to play with and cold or dry food left out with fresh water for after playing to mimic hunting.

It is still a whole lot better than being left in a tiny cage or carrier all day long. Those cages are very small and absolutely not softness to lay, sit, nap on. It's very different in a shelter and veterinarians office.

Being home alone all day isn't good for any cat and dog or a human without any interaction or something to do other than nap all day. Always gave them lots of attention when getting home from work. I had a cat all alone all day, but she had toys to play with when I learned how important that is. One day I had on jeans for work, dress down, and she cried when I went out in my jeans because she knew those jeans meant I wasn't going to work all day but that day she was heartbroken not understanding why I didn't stay home with her when Jeans meant I would.

I would come fast as I could and give her all the attention she needs. Owners who can't or don't for whatever reason do this then they need to rehome their cat or dog. It's not fair to the pet to leave them alone all day like that with nothing.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You should volunteer your services to a rescue sometime. The volunteers are some of the nicest, most caring people that I have ever met and the animals are well cared for.

FWIW, the cages are large enough for the cats to have trees, toys, beds, food dishes and even platform levels. It's not like they are shoved into a tiny transport carrier. Did I mention that the volunteers are animal lovers?

Some cats do not like other cats. And, the truth is they may do better in a one cat home. The same holds true for dogs. The volunteers do their best to discover what each cat's individual needs are so that when they are adopted out there aren't any nasty surprises.
I have thought about that many times. In the County shelter there are only 2 large cages in the front lobby Although it has been a very long time since I went into the back of the only shelter where they are housed like a prison and they use to poo through wire floor of the cage down to underneath. No litter pan large enough for a full grown cat would fit in that tiny god damned cage. It's heartbreaking. I can't take the killing of them and a woman who adopted a few of the cats and dogs there in the early 2000's was fired for adopting them. I was furious I let people know she should be in charge but the made this BS up about how the County lost money by not adopting them out when she took them for herself. Such BS they were going to be killed for being there to long.

Maybe some day I can get the PT I need for my ankle and foot without getting an idiot who didn't graduate yet to make me worse. That is another long story.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It is if there is no window to look out all day long, no toys to play with and cold or dry food left out with fresh water for after playing to mimic hunting.

It is still a whole lot better than being left in a tiny cage or carrier all day long. Those cages are very small and absolutely not softness to lay, sit, nap on. It's very different in a shelter and veterinarians office.

Being home alone all day isn't good for any cat and dog or a human without any interaction or something to do other than nap all day. Always gave them lots of attention when getting home from work. I had a cat all alone all day, but she had toys to play with when I learned how important that is. One day I had on jeans for work, dress down, and she cried when I went out in my jeans because she knew those jeans meant I wasn't going to work all day but that day she was heartbroken not understanding why I didn't stay home with her when Jeans meant I would.

I would come fast as I could and give her all the attention she needs. Owners who can't or don't for whatever reason do this then they need to rehome their cat or dog. It's not fair to the pet to leave them alone all day like that with nothing.
I'm not sure where you see all of these cramped cages. Are you talking about adoption fares? Sometimes the animals are put into somewhat smaller cages for fare purposes.

Otherwise, the cages I've seen have room for a litter box, food dishes, bed, toys, with a soft blanket to lie on.
They usually had a scratch post and/or one of the kitty mazes with the ball inside to bat around.

Plus they each got taken out of their cages for one on one time with a volunteer and also time to just explore while the volunteer cleaned/straighten the cage and gave fresh food and water.

I have never once seen a cat stuffed into a small crate and put inside a windowless room and certainly not by a rescue volunteer.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:06 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
It’s a CAT! They really don’t give a crap if anybody is there or not, CERTAINLY not for a day. I’ve had cats all my life, been there.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:09 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
I've worked with cat rescues and some of them do behave like those videos. I have never worn those heavy falconers type gloves myself but I can see why the medical staff does.

I remember taking a sweet kitty out of a cage to give it some love, attention and exercise - it was purring and happy out of the cage. I picked it up, still happy. After we played, I went to put the kitty back into a cage that was face level high and suddenly that cat bristled and became just like those cats in the videos are acting - hissing, trying to bite me and scratch me.

But I managed to wrangle that cat back into the cage so that I could then spend some one on one time with the next kitty who needed love and exercise.

This sort of thing happened from time to time. And, no, we couldn't just let out all of the cats to wander freely in the room because of worries that they would fight.
Yep. Some cats just aren't friendly with strangers. But they still need medical treatment, so vets and vet techs have to do what they have to do in order to protect themselves. It was painful watching these cats behave as they do as you know they are terrified

Old 02-28-2022, 10:11 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It’s a CAT! They really don’t give a crap if anybody is there or not, CERTAINLY not for a day. I’ve had cats all my life, been there.
I don't know. I've definitely read a lot that says cats get lonely. My cat craves attention and comes to our bedroom door meowing quite loudly in order to get spend some time with us. And when I come home from work, the cat runs up to me and rubs his body over my leg, in addition to wanting to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events