Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 06:10 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I understand and agree that the native bird population needs to be protected from feral cats in HI. However, that differs from your position on cats and "how much grief humans should be forced to tolerate from them", which seems to be a negative attitude applied toward all cats, IMHO.
Birds are not the only creatures negatively affected by the half-million feral cats here. They are the only mammals that spread toxoplasmosis, which is killing endangered seals, dolphins, and other species.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2016/08/ho...angered-seals/

https://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/news/...ing-monk-seals

Cat fanciers here are quick to dismiss concerns about our dying bird population by pointing out that many of the bird species are non-native as well. As if we should be willing to do without any birds in order to allow the cat population to continue unchecked.

I passed 3 freshly run-over cats on the highway, going to work this morning. If you've never lived in a place that is overrun by feral cats, perhaps you fail to realize the depth of the problem. As I mentioned earlier, many of them are starving, mangy, and often missing limbs and eyes.

I know one person who deep-fried a turkey at Christmas. He left the covered pot of grease on his patio to cool. By morning the lid was off and there were 6 drowned cats in it. I also know of schools and resorts that find dead cats in their can recycling bins. They crawl in searching for food and are unable to get out, then die miserable deaths.

Should we allow their numbers to continue to explode, when the only other viable alternative is to exterminate many of them?

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-02-2022 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 09:06 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Birds are not the only creatures negatively affected by the half-million feral cats here. They are the only mammals that spread toxoplasmosis, which is killing endangered seals, dolphins, and other species.

Cat fanciers here are quick to dismiss concerns about our dying bird population by pointing out that many of the bird species are non-native as well. As if we should be willing to do without any birds in order to allow the cat population to continue unchecked.

I passed 3 freshly run-over cats on the highway, going to work this morning. If you've never lived in a place that is overrun by feral cats, perhaps you fail to realize the depth of the problem. As I mentioned earlier, many of them are starving, mangy, and often missing limbs and eyes.

I know one person who deep-fried a turkey at Christmas. He left the covered pot of grease on his patio to cool. By morning the lid was off and there were 6 drowned cats in it. I also know of schools and resorts that find dead cats in their can recycling bins. They crawl in searching for food and are unable to get out, then die miserable deaths.

Should we allow their numbers to continue to explode, when the only other viable alternative is to exterminate many of them?
This is why there are programs in check to spay and neuter populations of cats. People are not "allowing numbers to explode".

Old 03-02-2022, 09:41 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

I’m a cat person and I actually agree with some of your points. I still don’t see how an enraged, non-feral cat that had the police called on it has anything to do with your localized issue with feral cats. If you want to discuss your issue with feral post it in the cats forum, the Hawaii forum, the psychology forum, the nature forum, or on here on a separate thread. Don’t hijack this thread.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:46 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I’m a cat person and I actually agree with some of your points. I still don’t see how an enraged, non-feral cat that had the police called on it has anything to do with your localized issue with feral cats. If you want to discuss your issue with feral post it in the cats forum, the Hawaii forum, the psychology forum, the nature forum, or on here on a separate thread. Don’t hijack this thread.
This thread is already dying a natural death.

There is another thread about Hawaii's cats.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ound-oahu.html

Old 03-03-2022, 08:09 AM

654 posts, read 631,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I can't believe Newsweek actually considered this a newsworthy story to print.
It must have run out of pro-administration propaganda to distribute on the day they ran the cat story. Or perhaps was still formulating its debate article on whether to get a fourth covid shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events