Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2022, 09:09 PM

17,577 posts, read 15,718,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrtown View Post
can't improve the si prefixes much since they are integral to the decimal prefix-symbol system of modern si metric. i would have to blame the backwardness of the united states on this and the fact that metric is not taught early in elementary school (instead/in addition to the english system). It's a travesty that memory has to be dedicated for the f/c and metric/customary toggle in an iphone, despite the up-to-date tech-obsessed demographic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/metric_prefix

mcg is usually rendered as µg (as the sole greek letter exception), but as we saw with the greek letter hurricane names, the poorly educated american adult population needed to be catered for.
this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 10:33 AM

10,050 posts, read 4,785,242 times
Is this how he starts his day or was it pre workout? Yeh an oops I get that but...

I never understood caffeine or stimulant drink to get through the dailyworkout. I'm old school. Many even say nothing on the stomach period because blood needs to be going to the muscles and not the digestive system. I know people like that and they'll even comment or complain they're loosing their 'rush' and must hurry to finish their workout. I thought working out was to not need things like stimulants.

I see supplements like extra protien, nutrients, vitamins etc after to replenish, rebuild and repair but just to get through 'a' workout?

Old 03-24-2022, 09:05 PM

639 posts, read 310,264 times
If I even drink 1 cup, I feel it. 200cups? omg. The guy was probably an addict.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:53 AM

18,565 posts, read 15,676,017 times
Maybe the caffeine powder ought to be mixed with something that tastes really bitter if you have too much of it. Might haves saved this guy!

Old 03-26-2022, 10:56 AM

450 posts, read 275,801 times
There has to be more to this story? There is no way there exists caffeine supplements sold in concentrations capable of killing a normal person...there's no way. Does the body really have no defense mechanism against excessively concentrated caffeine? Does it not taste horrible/induce vomiting/something? You know, like the way a normal person basically can't drink pure alcohol, much less a lethal amount of pure alcohol all at once? Like, imagine trying to down a liter of absinthe. It just wouldn't work.

If you take it at face value, this product should not exist in its current form. I'm not a nanny state guy, but it should be effectively impossible to kill yourself with an OTC retail product. At a minimum it needs to be packaged in capsules or something instead of just a big tub of powder. I mean, my God, imagine if Tylenol was just sold at 100% concentration in big tubs of loose powder...

Old 03-26-2022, 12:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,089,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
If you take it at face value, this product should not exist in its current form. I'm not a nanny state guy, but it should be effectively impossible to kill yourself with an OTC retail product. At a minimum it needs to be packaged in capsules or something instead of just a big tub of powder. I mean, my God, imagine if Tylenol was just sold at 100% concentration in big tubs of loose powder...
Of course there are OTC products that can kill you if you take it in large enough quantity. He took 10x the recommended amount.

According to this article, taking 10x the dosage of Tylenol can do some serious damage. It might not kill you, but it's still an OTC product that can cause some serious liver damage. And taking even more can be fatal. So to say their shouldn't be any OTC products that are possible to kill yourself means basically the entire pharmacy section of any store should be illegal... Energy drinks too.

Generally speaking, 10,000 to 15,000 milligrams is likely to do serious harm to the liver. That would be about 20 to 30 Extra Strength Tylenol, or 10 to 15 Vicodin plus 10 to 15 Extra Strength Tylenol in a day. More than 20,000 milligrams of acetaminophen can be fatal.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...n%20be%20fatal.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:48 PM

51,311 posts, read 36,963,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Of course there are OTC products that can kill you if you take it in large enough quantity. He took 10x the recommended amount.

According to this article, taking 10x the dosage of Tylenol can do some serious damage. It might not kill you, but it's still an OTC product that can cause some serious liver damage. And taking even more can be fatal. So to say their shouldn't be any OTC products that are possible to kill yourself means basically the entire pharmacy section of any store should be illegal... Energy drinks too.

Generally speaking, 10,000 to 15,000 milligrams is likely to do serious harm to the liver. That would be about 20 to 30 Extra Strength Tylenol, or 10 to 15 Vicodin plus 10 to 15 Extra Strength Tylenol in a day. More than 20,000 milligrams of acetaminophen can be fatal.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...n%20be%20fatal.
But that’s why they don’t sell you Tylenol in bulk powder form, they put it in a pre-dosed capsule or tablet. So that you can’t accidentally take 10x the dose because you didn’t have a device to measure milligrams and guessed at it (the product didn’t even have a little scooper) That was the posters point.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But that’s why they don’t sell you Tylenol in bulk powder form, they put it in a pre-dosed capsule or tablet. So that you can’t accidentally take 10x the dose because you didn’t have a device to measure milligrams and guessed at it (the product didn’t even have a little scooper) That was the posters point.
He didn't accidently take 10x the dosage. He measured out 10x the dosage on a scale. They sell caffeine in pill form. This guy wanted caffeine to mix in his drink for whatever reason, so pill form wouldn't work for him. It shouldn't be illegal to sell something just because some guy can't be bothered to take the time and measure correctly.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:14 AM

51,311 posts, read 36,963,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
He didn't accidently take 10x the dosage. He measured out 10x the dosage on a scale. They sell caffeine in pill form. This guy wanted caffeine to mix in his drink for whatever reason, so pill form wouldn't work for him. It shouldn't be illegal to sell something just because some guy can't be bothered to take the time and measure correctly.
Where did you read he measured it on a scale? I don’t recall that from the article. No one said make it illegal the poster said it should come in pre-measured doses if it’s so toxic that accidentally taking more can kill you.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where did you read he measured it on a scale? I don’t recall that from the article. No one said make it illegal the poster said it should come in pre-measured doses if it’s so toxic that accidentally taking more can kill you.

I'm not arguing over semantics. To me saying it shouldn't exist comes off as saying it should be illegal to sell. If you think differently, great.

The guy had a digital scale. It was probably a kitchen scale as it only measured in grams, not milligrams like he needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events