Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 07:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,685 posts, read 18,050,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are plenty of products on the market that would cause serious harm if you took 10x the max allowed dosage. You're not going to die if you eat 20 cookies instead of the recommended 2, but it might make you sick. If I started taking 10x the number of prescription medicine, I would expect some pretty serious consequences. I would think if someone decided to drink 10 energy drinks in a day, they'd also be facing some serious consequences to their actions.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't have the correct scale to weigh out a supplement and decide to just wing it instead. It's not as if he didn't know how much he was supposed to add. He knew. I would think just about every adult has heard the dangers of a caffeine overdose.
Do you have a scale that measures that tiny amount? Honestly? The article states he did NOT have a scale that measured that minute a weight, as most of us don't.

He didn't know how much he was supposed to use. That's why he used a rational amount, about a teaspoon and a half. That's reasonable, considering the product type in general.

You certainly wouldn't put a cough syrup on the market where the dose was 1/8 of a teaspoon, instead of say, a tablespoon.

Or a pain killer tablet where the dose was 1/4 tablet.

I know you get this concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 07:12 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,308,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you have a scale that measures that tiny amount? Honestly? The article states he did NOT have a scale that measured that minute a weight, as most of us don't.

He didn't know how much he was supposed to use. That's why he used a rational amount, about a teaspoon and a half. That's reasonable, considering the product type in general.

You certainly wouldn't put a cough syrup on the market where the dose was 1/8 of a teaspoon, instead of say, a tablespoon.

I think you have to consider caffeine a drug and handle it accordingly. A lot of people self medicate with whatever vitamin, natural product, herb, etc. Most of it is unregulated. There are all kinds of claims out about soy, St. John's Wort, ginseng, herbal tea, etc. You have to consider that these all have some sort of effect on your body and act accordingly. It's possible to overdose if you don't know what you are doing.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:31 AM

6,832 posts, read 4,283,840 times
This is pure caffeine powder. Caffeine is a substance that is usually sold highly diluted and which is really why no-one thinks of it as all that dangerous.

But I would guess the manufacturer assumes that anyone buying this pure powder rather than any of the legion of caffeine-containing mass marketed products in this country would know what the hell they're doing.

If you're working with undiluted stuff like this, you'd typically have a scale to measure out the amounts. Hence no measuring utensils provided with the products. I don't even know why the hell you'd try to convert this stuff to teaspoons.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:56 AM

17,432 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Quote:

I agree with this. It's not like the guy ate one of those silica packets with "Do not eat" written on it in bold letters.

This was an accident waiting to happen. My heart goes out to that man.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:20 AM

16,084 posts, read 21,202,860 times
Quote:

Caffeine is a drug. Who in their right mind guesses at how much of a drug they should be using, this isn't at all the same as popping a container of Crystal Light and dumping a spoonful of mix into your cup.
I really have my doubts that this was just him deciding that a spoonful or whatever would be 'about right'. It's far more likely that he DID do the math and flubbed the conversion.

(and yes if somebody was confused or guessed that a tablespoon was 'close enough' to a teaspoon they could wind up in trouble after dosing up with cough syrup for 24 hours)

Old 03-07-2022, 08:50 AM
KCZ

4,686 posts, read 3,688,449 times
Quote:
Part of good labeling is it needs to be kind of intuitive. People using the product on their own should, in general, be able to figure it out reasonably correctly.

That this drink mix is to be dispersed 1/8 teaspoon into a glass of water, is not intuitive. And when the result is death for those who mix it at an approximate ratio that you mix other powdered drinks, this product needs to be taken off the market or changed to add filler into the straight caffeine. So a person could put two tablespoons in a glass of water and it's good.

This man died over a year ago, and this product is unchanged on their website.

I didn't see the website a year ago, but it now has several warnings and the information that the product now includes a measuring scoop and a separate instruction sheet, which it was reportedly lacking before, so it appears the company did make significant changes.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:25 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,099,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
This is pure caffeine powder. Caffeine is a substance that is usually sold highly diluted and which is really why no-one thinks of it as all that dangerous.

But I would guess the manufacturer assumes that anyone buying this pure powder rather than any of the legion of caffeine-containing mass marketed products in this country would know what the hell they're doing.

If you're working with undiluted stuff like this, you'd typically have a scale to measure out the amounts. Hence no measuring utensils provided with the products. I don't even know why the hell you'd try to convert this stuff to teaspoons.

Somebody upstream said that this was only supposed to be sold to businesses, so I'm going to pull this out of my butt and say that the manufacturer expected that the purchaser would be another manufacturer who was going to make something like an energy drink, who would subsequently be making large batches of product utilizing an appropriate dilution rate. It was probably NOT expected that some dumbass muscle-head was going to try spooning it out to make his *own* drink.

I have a scale that is used for very small weights, for weighing gunpowder when I am making ammo, but most people aside from your average neighborhood drug dealer probably don't.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,685 posts, read 18,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Somebody upstream said that this was only supposed to be sold to businesses, so I'm going to pull this out of my butt and say that the manufacturer expected that the purchaser would be another manufacturer who was going to make something like an energy drink, who would subsequently be making large batches of product utilizing an appropriate dilution rate. It was probably NOT expected that some dumbass muscle-head was going to try spooning it out to make his *own* drink.

I have a scale that is used for very small weights, for weighing gunpowder when I am making ammo, but most people aside from your average neighborhood drug dealer probably don't.
I think that false warning that it was only going to be sold to businesses might be a new add-on.

At any rate, it was easy for me to complete the purchase process with no statement that I own a business related to the product.

Be interesting to see where this goes in the court.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:38 AM

17,432 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Yet, somehow this guy was able to buy a container of this stuff, misread/miscalculate and overdose on it.

There are tons of energy drinks, workout supplements/powders with caffeine in them so I don't know that people realize how dangerous a pure form like this could be.

I had no idea that a teaspoon of caffeine could be deadly.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:14 AM

2,612 posts, read 934,497 times
Quote:
I clicked on the link, and it stated he ingested ".2 ounces of caffeine powder".

That can't be right. By my calculations, that's less than 2 teaspoons.

No one would make a caffeine drink powder where if you ingest about 1.25 teaspoons of it you'll die. Anyone just "winging it" making that drink would use that much powder at least, especially if you don't have any way to weigh it in metric.
Yeah, just in my mind something doesnt seem right about that.

I bought caffeine powder a while back and I would add some to my protein drink. For one thing, it tastes absolutely disgusting. A single serving completely made an entire protein drink taste like crap. It amazed me that this stuff is in coffee and soda and doesnt make them gross tasting. After I finished it (crazt that I actually forced myself to use it up) I switched to pills. It was definitely a small amount of powder per serving but I dont believe it was so small that one could take 200x dosage and it only be 5 grams of powder.

If someone mixed 200x in a drink, I dont think they could consume it without throwing up right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events