Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 07:07 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Uber and Lyft drivers average somewhere around $17/hour. Do you even know what the term 'gravy train' means?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How much were they making before rideshare?
Irrelevant.

Because 'riding the gravy train' does not mean 'making more than before'.

I once had a paper route. Then I turned 16 and got a job flipping burgers at McDonald's. The latter paid more than the former. I was never under the delusion that making Big Macs was therefore 'riding the gravy train'. Because, you know... it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 07:12 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Irrelevant.

Because 'riding the gravy train' does not mean 'making more than before'.

I once had a paper route. Then I turned 16 and got a job flipping burgers at McDonald's. The latter paid more than the former. I was never under the delusion that making Big Macs was therefore 'riding the gravy train'. Because, you know... it wasn't.

What does it mean?

Old 03-08-2022, 07:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
What does it mean?
To make an excessive amount of money for little work.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
To make an excessive amount of money for little work.

It's still relative to the skills required for the work and the alternative options. $200k/yr might be excessive for a guy mowing the grass but not for a surgeon transplanting hearts. A person who was performing hard labor for $10/hr might consider making $17/hr for sitting in a car to be gravy. Relative to most alternative options requiring no skills, it's easy money.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I do rideshare in retirement, I took a year off during the pandemic before I was vaxed and delivered for UberEats and Grub Hub. I drive about 30 hours a week, this varies but that's the average. Let me clarify a few things as there is a lot of false info in this thread already.

With regard to tipping delivery drivers, at least for the year that I did it, they mostly all tip. You get an "offer" which tells you where to go and how much the pay will be, including tip. The minimum offer is 2.50, they are rare but that means no tip. You simply pass on the offer and wait for a better one. Only the rookies or the idiots would bother with a deliver that pays 2.50. My limit was $10, most of them paid about $13. A few a night paid over $20, a few times I got over $30, and obviously that is mostly all tip. But delivery does not pay as well as rideshare, and of course the window for earning hours is much smaller. It's pretty much limited to 5-9 where I can get ride share rides at any time of the day, even from home and I live in a rural area.

The issue with delivery drivers is they are completely unaware that their personal insurance will not cover this driving. And every insurance company has access to the info that tells them if the driver was driving for one of these gigs. I drove for an entire year after my agent incorrectly told me my business insurance to cover the gaps Lyft and Uber insurance has in between rides covers driving for Grubhub and Door Dash. It does not, only Uber Eats has insurance. So after I learned that I immediately stopped and returned to rideshare as I had already been vaccinated by then. I try to tell this to drivers I meet but they seem unconcerned, they are convinced their "good insurance" will cover them and it is simply not true. Such a shame some will find out the hard way, I've stopped trying to educate them. They're on their own now.

Regarding rideshare no ride will pay $2. The minimum is 3.75, if you reach certain levels you will see the length of the ride. If it's 12 minutes away and a 3 minute ride that is not profitable so you have the option to pass.

I too have read the articles claiming this is a minimum wage job and after 3 years I can tell you it is simply not true. I run mine as a business, I keep track of everything very well. I average $22/hour driving when and where i feel like it. If I had interest in working the late nights I could do much better. But no, I take them to the bars and let the others deal with them when they are ready to leave. On a typical night I average about $125-$150 ( I don't go home before $125) in roughly 6-7 hours using 6-8 gallons of gas. If you record all the business miles you are entitled to deduct you pay virtually no income or FICA taxes. So that $22/hour is more like $28-$30/hour with that savings.

Of course there are expenses to consider, specifically gas, repairs and replacement of the vehicle. This is offset a bit by the tax savings. But those are real cost that is factored into my business plan. You need the right car, in my case an older Civic which is not depreciating at the rate of a newer car, gets good gas mileage, low repair costs and goes for 250,000 miles. I put away $ each week for a replacement car, the gas and repairs I can take care of from my earnings.

Of course all drivers are talking about the gas prices. If that means more drivers drop out that would be good for me. But no I don't see a "major portion" of drivers leaving over fuel costs, nobody in my rideshare group has talked about quitting. As I said I average 6-8 gallons a night, with a dollar a gallon increase that mean I take home about $117 instead of $125. Not a deal breaker and if it becomes a problem literally one more ride pays the difference.

This is not a career. It pains me to see young people doing this full time, they brag about their tax savings and weekly earnings without considering that by paying no taxes that means they are not paying into Social Security and that will be a big deal when they are seniors. But they are not thinking long term, instead they post screen captures of their earnings. I saw a $2,700 week earlier today by a driver in my group so obviously this is not minimum wage job, even after expenses. Many of these drivers rent cars, they make enough to cover that cost, so they are not too concerned about the miles they are putting on the car. I don't which is why I am careful about how many miles I am driving even if they are deductible. But I'm not raising kids or paying rent/mortgage so I'm fine with the earnings and most of all the flexibility to work when and where I damned well feel like it.
Sorry but I routinely get 2.00 trips on Uber eats. Of course you expect a tip but it isn’t guaranteed. Perhaps this is not the same where you are but it is where I am. This is third world type wages. After 5 plus years I am done with Uber.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
It's still relative to the skills required for the work and the alternative options. $200k/yr might be excessive for a guy mowing the grass but not for a surgeon transplanting hearts. A person who was performing hard labor for $10/hr might consider making $17/hr for sitting in a car to be gravy. Relative to most alternative options requiring no skills, it's easy money.
I don't know anyone who would consider $17/hr an excessive amount of money. Yes, it's much more than $10/hr, but it's still barely a livable wage. You're not buying a house, going on lavish vacation, or retiring on $17/hr.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:34 PM

But my point is if gas goes to five dollars a gallon (which is predicted), and Uber keeps their pay scale the same it is a recipe for disaster for Uber. I don’t like the look of this and I have turned off my app for now.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
I am surprise its the gas price. How exactly do they make money when the revenue has to be split between the app company, the restaurant, and the delivery boy? Someone is not getting paid fairly then. Before if you want delivery, it just the restaurant, and the delivery boy that had to get paid. Now add in the app company.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am surprise its the gas price. How exactly do they make money when the revenue has to be split between the app company, the restaurant, and the delivery boy? Someone is not getting paid fairly then. Before if you want delivery, it just the restaurant, and the delivery boy that had to get paid. Now add in the app company.
Yep, it is more convoluted these days. On one hand, the Uber app helps keep drivers busy. On the other hand they get their ”take”. It seemingly is a 3rd party that takes part of your income, but it also provides volume for drivers. It is a fragile system and it depends on how many customers will continue to use the app. I am uncertain if these type of deliveries will have a long shelf life. Gas prices are just one complication.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yep, it is more convoluted these days. On one hand, the Uber app helps keep drivers busy. On the other hand they get their ”take”. It seemingly is a 3rd party that takes part of your income, but it also provides volume for drivers. It is a fragile system and it depends on how many customers will continue to use the app. I am uncertain if these type of deliveries will have a long shelf life. Gas prices are just one complication.
I doubt the volume increased thanks to Ubereats, or door dash and the like. Its not like the invented food delivery. Even before them their was Seamless, and Grubhub except those two not have delivery boys.

If customers wanted food delivered to them, they could just pick up the phone and dial. Not much harder than pulling out your smartphone and interfacing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events