Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 06:20 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's worth noting that the dredged shipping channel is much narrower than the entire bay. If a big cargo ship strays from the channel, it's going to run aground.
They knew that which is why I can't understand why they got stuck. I see large container ships everyday here. I don't think I have ever seen one get stuck or hit one of the under water tunnels on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Does anyone know what's in those containers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 06:38 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,940,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Absolutely stupid.

What an embarrassment. The Chesapeake is not a narrow canal. It shouldn't have happened.
While the bay is not a narrow canal, it is very shallow (when compared to a ship that draws 40+' draft). Large ships must remain in the dredged channels, which if I recall correctly are only about 400" wide in the area where it ran aground. As you can see from the chart, it ran aground in the area of "G"15, which is less than 20' deep when out of the main channel.
Another Evergreen shipping vessel runs aground-bodkin-point-chart-screenshot.png

I lived in Pasadena, MD, only several miles as-the-bird-flies from where the ship grounded and am quite familiar with these waters, having even stuck bottom with my 25' Grady White while cruising several hundred yards from shore. As a Captain once told me, "Not all water is good water".

Old 03-16-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
.... I see large container ships everyday here. I don't think I have ever seen one get stuck or hit one of the under water tunnels on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. ...
I vaguely remember a ship running aground years ago off of Sandy Point State Park just north of the bridge connecting the Eastern Shore with the mainland. Maye 15 years ago, give or take? And also, didn't a ship drift into the Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore in the late '70s or 80's? I believe both instances were due to mechanical failure.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I vaguely remember a ship running aground years ago off of Sandy Point State Park just north of the bridge connecting the Eastern Shore with the mainland. Maye 15 years ago, give or take? And also, didn't a ship drift into the Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore in the late '70s or 80's? I believe both instances were due to mechanical failure.
I think we are talking about 2 different bridges? The MD one doesn't have tunnels. I'm in Va Beach where the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel connects us to the Eastern Shore.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I think we are talking about 2 different bridges? The MD one doesn't have tunnels. I'm in Va Beach where the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel connects us to the Eastern Shore.
Yes, two different bridges. But the same bay . Both incidents that I referred to occurred in the upper part of the bay.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Yes, two different bridges. But the same bay . Both incidents that I referred to occurred in the upper part of the bay.
Yep same big beautiful Bay! I don't know anything about those two incidents but I forgot that a ship did run aground here a long time ago. I'm not 100% sure but I think it was because of hurricane winds.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:36 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
One year after the Ever Given container ship ran aground in the Suez Canal, her sister vessel is repeating the feat - in the US state of Maryland.
Local officials say the ironically-named Ever Forward left a Baltimore port on Sunday night en route to Norfolk, Virginia, but was grounded in the Chesapeake Bay.
The ship travelled outside the channel into
shallow water that was only about 25 feet (7.5m) deep.

(Ever Given was wedged in the Suez Canal for six days causing worldwide shipping industry upheaval.)
Both Ever Forward and Ever Given are owned by the same Taiwanese company.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/car...ez-2022-03-15/

I'm kind of LMFAO right now, especially thinking they're lucky that it happened here and not there again because the US isn't going to hijack the ship and crew, or I don't think we will. They're very fortunate it is here and not there.

It's been pretty rare that ships get stuck except in recent years, look at the car carrier one in Georgia (Golden Ray?) about 2 years ago. I think they just moved it out of there.

No one here was interested in that one except me.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:43 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm kind of LMFAO right now, especially thinking they're lucky that it happened here and not there again because the US isn't going to hijack the ship and crew, or I don't think we will. They're very fortunate it is here and not there.

It's been pretty rare that ships get stuck except in recent years, look at the car carrier one in Georgia (Golden Ray?) about 2 years ago. I think they just moved it out of there.

No one here was interested in that one except me.
https://legal.un.org/avl/ha/icas/icas.html

Old 03-16-2022, 06:51 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

LOL Can I have that translated in kindergarten terms?

I did read some but it's way too far over my head. I was looking to see if it applies to the US but I'm not seeing it.

I looked for an update but am not seeing anything more.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:13 PM

572 posts, read 279,424 times
21 one days later, she's still stuck. Another attempt to free her may be made next week. As with the Ever Given, the owners have invoked the law of "General Average" and are billing the cargo owners proportionately for the costs of freeing. The principle of "General Average" dates to the Code of Hammurabi, Babylon, 1750 BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events