Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 04:26 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

You'd think the price would come down by now if you paid $15k 20 years ago. She hasn't had any issues with them? If not, she's very lucky. The member I mentioned, his wife has also had them redone at least once for the top set
I’ve no idea what the cost would be now, but when my wife had her implants the pound was riding high against the euro, I didn’t exactly get a sack of euros to the pound, but enough to make the trips worth it.
She’s never had any issues with the implants, although we were in Tavira, Portugal around 8 years ago and I called the dentist and asked if it would be worth having them checked while we were in the area.
It’s worth noting that London to Faro, Portugal is about the same flying time as NYC to Charleston S.C., so Portugal is an easy hop for a vacation or trip to the dentist.
I made an appointment and drove her the 70 km to his office, where he tightened a couple of screws on her teeth.
As he was a Belgian Walloon and I’m part French we occasionally spoke French with each other, but I asked him in English what was the bill, he replied, “Pour ton belle épouse Jean-François, gratis.”, (For your beautiful wife Jean-François, no charge.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 07:52 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Spoiler: Dentists are running a business, the more things they can charge for the more money they can make! $$$$

They all fancy the big lifestyle of being a "Dr" and no doubt want insurance companies to fund it on top of their student loans.

I had never had a cavity in my life, new dentist came into the practice and said "oh I see 2 cavities" I laughed and questioned how I now have 2 after all these years.

I returned to my childhood dentist, about 65 miles away. He laughed and said "you never had cavities" .......He said one tooth might be soft, maybe could develop into something but the 2nd one is fine. I had him fix it.

Oh and the new dentist in the practice........gone in less than 6 months.

This is no different than the mechanic that finds "extra repairs" or the roofer that wants to change the fascia boards too.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:48 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I’ve no idea what the cost would be now, but when my wife had her implants the pound was riding high against the euro, I didn’t exactly get a sack of euros to the pound, but enough to make the trips worth it.
She’s never had any issues with the implants, although we were in Tavira, Portugal around 8 years ago and I called the dentist and asked if it would be worth having them checked while we were in the area.
It’s worth noting that London to Faro, Portugal is about the same flying time as NYC to Charleston S.C., so Portugal is an easy hop for a vacation or trip to the dentist.
I made an appointment and drove her the 70 km to his office, where he tightened a couple of screws on her teeth.
As he was a Belgian Walloon and I’m part French we occasionally spoke French with each other, but I asked him in English what was the bill, he replied, “Pour ton belle épouse Jean-François, gratis.”, (For your beautiful wife Jean-François, no charge.)

Heck, I would have traveled too if it's that close for you lol

Glad to hear she hasn't had issues. Wonder what they use there compared to the US.

I think Europe in general is way more advanced with some things then US, Germany with spine "fusions" are superior to what they do here with fusing them stiff. Germany has flexible disks so the spine can still flex. I wish I never fused my back when I did. I learned about it 6 months later in the early 2000's.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:52 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I wonder if when he bought the practice things did not go smoothly so he went looking to see if he could find something to get back at the old owner. That would not surprise me.

You'd think the price would come down by now if you paid $15k 20 years ago. She hasn't had any issues with them? If not, she's very lucky. The member I mentioned, his wife has also had them redone at least once for the top set
My fiance had a post come loose and enter his sinus, he had to have it surgically removed. He was getting horrible headaches, and in the course of my obsessive Googling for a reason, I came across an article about this having happened to Dick Van Dyke. He had crippling headaches for several years, to the point he didn't leave his house. It turned out that one of his implant posts dislodged and entered his sinus, too. After I saw that, we told his Dr and he did some imaging and there it was, very obvious.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:56 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Spoiler: Dentists are running a business, the more things they can charge for the more money they can make! $$$$

They all fancy the big lifestyle of being a "Dr" and no doubt want insurance companies to fund it on top of their student loans.

I had never had a cavity in my life, new dentist came into the practice and said "oh I see 2 cavities" I laughed and questioned how I now have 2 after all these years.

I returned to my childhood dentist, about 65 miles away. He laughed and said "you never had cavities" .......He said one tooth might be soft, maybe could develop into something but the 2nd one is fine. I had him fix it.

Oh and the new dentist in the practice........gone in less than 6 months.

This is no different than the mechanic that finds "extra repairs" or the roofer that wants to change the fascia boards too.
Finding extra repairs and creating them are 2 different things. It is one thing if a mechanic tells me I need to change my hoses or whatever when they don't need to be changed, I've had that before. That is very different than a mechanic actually break something on my car so he can then repair it. One of these is just unscrupulous business, the other is a crime.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:55 PM

175 posts, read 98,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I understand this, my question is what triggered that call? Only thing they said was he noticed a lot of crowns being done by the practice. As ocn noted perhaps he/she was able to look at dental records before the crown?

The new owners have made a statement on their website: https://www.jacksonfamilydentistrywi.com/patient-update.

Charmoli continued seeing patients there for 8 months after he sold the practice so the new guys had an opportunity to see what he was doing.

There's more info about the evidence and witness testimony here: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...me/7001739001/.

I don't have any inside info but as I understand it, the price of a medical/dental practice is determined by its income at the time of sale. Charmoli's income was inflated because of his criminal activity. The new owners got defrauded since the practice really wasn't worth what they paid for it. I'm guessing they'll sue Charmoli to recover some of their payment.

This is speculation on my part, but I doubt any of this would have come to light if he had closed the practice and walked away instead of selling it.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:22 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTzen View Post
The new owners have made a statement on their website: https://www.jacksonfamilydentistrywi.com/patient-update.

Charmoli continued seeing patients there for 8 months after he sold the practice so the new guys had an opportunity to see what he was doing.

There's more info about the evidence and witness testimony here: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...me/7001739001/.

I don't have any inside info but as I understand it, the price of a medical/dental practice is determined by its income at the time of sale. Charmoli's income was inflated because of his criminal activity. The new owners got defrauded since the practice really wasn't worth what they paid for it. I'm guessing they'll sue Charmoli to recover some of their payment.

This is speculation on my part, but I doubt any of this would have come to light if he had closed the practice and walked away instead of selling it.
Thanks for the update and getting the thread back on course. If I lived there I would go to that new dentist in a heartbeat. What a hero he was for exposing all of this. I wonder since the value of the practice was inflated if he would have any recourse with regard to how much he had to pay to purchase the practice.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:31 PM

164 posts, read 112,258 times
When I was very young, my mother took me to a dentist with coke bottle type glasses. He smoked in my face while working on my teeth. Every time I went for a check up he said I hade several cavities. I hated him and so did my father. When his associate opened his own practice uptown, we switched to his office. Guess what? No more cavities. He probably drilled most of my teeth unnecessarily. What a jerk.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:51 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
My childhood dentist had a toy drawer. And on your way out the door after you had your examination and cleaning, he’d give you a toy, and a really big Lollipop. Not one of them little cheap bank suckers, but like it bigger old-fashioned Charm blow pop.

My mother took it away from me all the time and gave it to me like after dinner which I thought was probably pretty smart…later, when I was older and understood the reasoning behind getting a really big lollipop. To help me start the new cavities to fill the next time.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:08 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTzen View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-boost-profits

This is scary! I was feeling glad I have a dentist I trust till I realized all of this guy's patients trusted him too. He only got caught when he sold his practice and the new owners figured out what he'd been doing.
He should be charged with battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events