Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 08:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times

Advertisements

I arrived early to my dentist appointment and was in the waiting room while the staff was having a staff meeting prior to first appointments of the day. I could hear what was being discussed and the doctor was praising them for the high gross receipts the previous week and encouraging them that "we can do even better". Not sure how the hygienists could boost revenue other than by churning more patients or adding unneeded treatments. I haven't trusted them since.

I suspect at dentist conventions that there are seminars like "Maximizing Patient Dollar" and "Upselling for Increased Profits".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 08:10 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Reminds me of an old Rodney Dangerfield skit, he said " I lost a tooth the other day and went to my dentist and asked him to give me another tooth that matched my others, and he gave me a tooth with 4 cavities in it"

Old 03-24-2022, 08:11 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Then people wonder why they are so afraid of the dentist

Old 03-24-2022, 10:36 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I arrived early to my dentist appointment and was in the waiting room while the staff was having a staff meeting prior to first appointments of the day. I could hear what was being discussed and the doctor was praising them for the high gross receipts the previous week and encouraging them that "we can do even better". Not sure how the hygienists could boost revenue other than by churning more patients or adding unneeded treatments. I haven't trusted them since.

I suspect at dentist conventions that there are seminars like "Maximizing Patient Dollar" and "Upselling for Increased Profits".
I highly doubt that. This is an anomaly, and the entire dental profession shouldn't be indicted for it anymore than a bad doctor should represent all doctors.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:24 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Hopefully in the sentencing phase, he gets jail time. That is the only thing that will really deter him. I am a physician (Internal Medicine and Preventive Medicine), so I don't do many procedures, and I now have a medical director position, so I don't practice much clinically, but from my read, he is lucky that he isn't being charged for assault and battery. He essentially did things to his patients (damaged their teeth) without consent. That is technically assault and battery, in addition to the fraud charges.

He's getting off easily, although hopefully, he gets jail time.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:22 PM

1,563 posts, read 904,850 times
Check out this dentist. I actually used to go to him. Lovely staff but look what happened. I hope he gets his life together again.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investiga...-year/2745082/

Old 03-24-2022, 06:28 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Geez. Back in the olden days, dentists would advise clueless people in their 20s even, that they needed to have ALL their teeth pulled, healthy or not. And get dentures! Can you imagine!
Yes, I can, and it brings tears to my eyes even now, as I still remember what it was like as a child to hear my mother cry when it was done to her.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:43 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Check out this dentist. I actually used to go to him. Lovely staff but look what happened. I hope he gets his life together again.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investiga...-year/2745082/

Wow. That guy is nuts. I can not believe he owns a business, thinks nothing of terrorizing people. He's even on video which you think would deter him.

I'd really love to know how it all started. Was it unprovoked?

I hate to say lock people up but he is a danger to everyone around.

I googled, am not seeing any update on him.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:54 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
I went to a dentist about 15 years ago that pressured me into putting veneers on my top 6 front teeth. I said I didn't want them and he threw an instrument against a wall and starting yelling, I was so intimidated that I said yes. The veneers were big and hideous, I went to dentist #2 to have them removed but I had to have this dentist #2 grind down my teeth to get smaller veneers. It was an awful time of my life, very expensive for 2 sets of veneers, neither of which I liked. I'm stuck with them now. And 2 popped off recently, they were able to be placed back on. I don't know what my next step is if these fail.

I heard a couple of years ago that Dentist #1 had a drug problem and would write prescriptions for his patient's pain meds but somehow he got ahold of the drugs himself. He is no longer practicing.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:25 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
I think it's just the nature of a profession like dentistry that creates pressures for dentists to push unnecessary procedures in order to make profit (certainly, like any business, dental offices need to make money to pay staff, supplies, etc. etc.). It's not like most people need to see a dentist frequently, maybe every six months for a cleaning. That's why some dentists push you towards the more expensive cosmetic options that aren't necessary.

Business is business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events