Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 01:23 PM

177 posts, read 99,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A Wisconsin dentist was found guilty of healthcare fraud and other charges after he intentionally damaged his patients’ teeth to boost profits, raking in millions from his scheme.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-boost-profits

This is scary! I was feeling glad I have a dentist I trust till I realized all of this guy's patients trusted him too. He only got caught when he sold his practice and the new owners figured out what he'd been doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 07:54 AM

23,897 posts, read 33,650,372 times
No doubt there is more of this. I don't trust many dentists after one tried to fill a loose tooth on my daughter when she was little. I refused to pay for it. He never let the parent come in the back.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:03 AM

10,174 posts, read 15,052,620 times
Makes sense why my teeth feel fine until I visit the dentist. Afterwords for a few days they feel looser.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:30 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,030,828 times
My wife had a dentist like this many years ago. When I used him once, I discovered he was a "drill and fill" guy. Took x-rays, and tried to convince you that EVERY single tooth blemish or oddness needed drilling and filling, and I refused to let him do anything to me. I made her dump him, and he's long out of business now as word got around. However, it wasn't soon enough before he ruined teeth she never had a problem with before.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:50 AM

33,332 posts, read 26,541,517 times
I once had a dentist offer to pull my wisdom teeth even though they were and are perfectly fine with lots of room for them. I refused the offer.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:02 PM

9,941 posts, read 4,697,550 times
If one has dental insurance ie they can pay yes a dentist might be prone to suggest a few more procedure. And like any other profession I'm sure there are those there for paydays only. In the old days of snail mail heard dentist in particular like to stretch things out over several visits to make sure insurance pays and then bill extra for something they did on each visit. Half dozen visits for a root canal?

Sounds like fix something break something which is an attitude many members of a trade union push ie job security.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:11 PM

15,890 posts, read 6,592,637 times
There have been multiple occasions when I thought my dentist was too eager to cap my teeth, even when a filling would do the job. The convenient aspect is they can't be viewed with X-rays, so if a minor cavity is spotted at the base of a cap they have to replace the entire cap. It's a sweet deal for dentists.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:22 PM

6,068 posts, read 3,787,860 times
I wouldn't be surprised if my dentist did the same thing many years ago when I was a teenager. He did the same thing to my brother's teeth. I would go in for a checkup and he would say that he saw another cavity or two that needed filling.

Hell, I don't think that he ever took an X-ray to confirm anything. He just looked at my teeth and said I had a cavity that needed filling. How was I supposed to know any different? This was back in a time when you didn't question an authority figure... and dentists were considered as experts and not to be questioned. Needless to say, I have a far different view of doctors and dentists today.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:28 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,681,584 times
Geez. Back in the olden days, dentists would advise clueless people in their 20s even, that they needed to have ALL their teeth pulled, healthy or not. And get dentures! Can you imagine!

I hear the denture business is slowly going away as elaborate tooth repair is more and more common.

I was impressed that the dentist here said I only needed my front teeth crowned when I was willing to do several (for looks). The fronts were cracked and needed it. I appreciated his honesty.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:02 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,088,855 times
A few years ago I was at a dentist for an emergency visit for a broken tooth. After that was fixed, the dentist claimed I had 6 cavities. I did not believe him and refused to get them filled. I had a cleaning a few months ago and there were no cavities. Things that make you go hhmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events