Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 08:56 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Could be. Seems so weird to see that plane nose dive vertically pointer down with an eyewitness saying there was no visible smoke or other such things from the plane as it fell. I guess the black box and investigation will reveal more.
Hopefully.

But then again, it's China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 09:24 PM

84 posts, read 58,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots23 View Post
(This message delivered from a 737-800 @28,000 ft (currently....)
Update -
20 min descent
Current Altitude = 1,096 ft (just Landed safely)

Next leg is usually a MAX, ,
Should be home by 1:55AM, time will tell.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:08 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots23 View Post
Flight #MU5735 was performed by a Boeing 737-89P aircraft with registration number B-1791. serial number 41474.
It was delivered to China Eastern Airlines in June 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_...es_Flight_5735

...Flight MU5735....The Boeing 737-800 plane was nearly seven years old, according to tracker websites....
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-60819760
tail number B-1791
https://simpleflying.com/breaking-re...g-737-crashes/
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/mu5735

https://www.scmp.com/topics/china-ea...t-mu5735-crash

(This message delivered from a 737-800 @28,000 ft (currently....)

So.. A new aircraft for all intents and purposes.. China Eastern was the original owner, so they didn't purchase it from another airline. They've done all the maintenance that was done on it. They're a generally safe and respected airline..

Does lean me to believe it was purposeful.

But.. I go back to my statement. There was a fight in the cockpit. I'm 100% confident in that. What I am not is whether the fight was between the pilots.. Between the pilots and another person.. Or the pilots and the aircraft.

Someone asked what could be recoverable and then go down again.. Well, if someone was trying to crash it.. And you've won and righted the aircraft.. What are the odds you'll allow them in a position to do it again?

Stuck controls, perhaps.. Hell.. Remember the Russian plane crash a number of years ago where the pilot had his kid flying the plane they did temporarily, or almost regain control of that.. Terror/suicide are two legit possibilities. But, they are certainly not the only possibilities.

The question for me. If it was mechanical.. we'll get the truth. If it was other.. I'm not entirely confident we will.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:37 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. A new aircraft for all intents and purposes.. China Eastern was the original owner, so they didn't purchase it from another airline. They've done all the maintenance that was done on it. They're a generally safe and respected airline..

Does lean me to believe it was purposeful.

But.. I go back to my statement. There was a fight in the cockpit. I'm 100% confident in that. What I am not is whether the fight was between the pilots.. Between the pilots and another person.. Or the pilots and the aircraft.

Someone asked what could be recoverable and then go down again.. Well, if someone was trying to crash it.. And you've won and righted the aircraft.. What are the odds you'll allow them in a position to do it again?

Stuck controls, perhaps.. Hell.. Remember the Russian plane crash a number of years ago where the pilot had his kid flying the plane they did temporarily, or almost regain control of that.. Terror/suicide are two legit possibilities. But, they are certainly not the only possibilities.

The question for me. If it was mechanical.. we'll get the truth. If it was other.. I'm not entirely confident we will.

I agree, something happened, either with a person doing it or mechanical.

As I posted above, they should have been starting their descent, maybe something happened to the controls when they started descending?

I also agree that if it was pilot suicide we won't hear about it. They won't let something like that out. In the US people would be suing, not so sure if they can in China.... Pretty sure the government owns the fleet, they won't allow their records to be opened in court.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:51 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I will never fly ever again.

We need high speed rail, or super fast hydrofoil boats.
I hear you. But sometimes flying is the only way to go

Old 03-23-2022, 03:23 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
According to the documentary we watched, a sudden nose-dive would cause pilots and passengers to mercifully pass out before hitting the ground.

Why would a sudden nose-dive cause everyone to pass out? I imagine some people fainted from fright, but there really isn't any physical reason from a plane going straight down to cause the passengers to lose consciousness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
No airline flight ever makes a 90 degree turn ever. They do make a long arch to turn 90 degrees which takes many minutes.

Airlines do 90 degree turns all the time. What they don't do is bank 90 degrees when making those turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I will never fly ever again.

We need high speed rail, or super fast hydrofoil boats.

Right. Because trains never crash and boats never sink.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:31 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,657,346 times
As for a cause, we may never know since plowing straight into the ground won't leave much intact to look at. However, although it is fortunately now very rare for a mechanical problem to bring down modern airliners, it still does happen. Look up Alaska Airlines Flight 261. That MD-83 suffered a failure in the horizontal stabilizer jackscrew and ended up going almost straight down into the ocean off California.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:13 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I agree, something happened, either with a person doing it or mechanical.

As I posted above, they should have been starting their descent, maybe something happened to the controls when they started descending?

I also agree that if it was pilot suicide we won't hear about it. They won't let something like that out. In the US people would be suing, not so sure if they can in China.... Pretty sure the government owns the fleet, they won't allow their records to be opened in court.

The only thing we can really rule out here.. It wasn't a dead stick. The (temporary) recovery proves that. So, no loss of pressure situation with empty O2 generators or anything of that nature.

The fact that control was regained, albeit temporarily.. Nudges me towards this being an issue with the aircraft itself.

If it was a suicidal pilot.. Likely, he locks the other pilot out or otherwise incapacitates him. That's what we've seen in these cases before. So, unless he got cold feet when he saw the ground rapidly approaching, pulled out, and then said "well, i'm boned" and regrew a pair and then put it in the ground.. Which.. Just sounds preposterous..

We shall see. No idea how long China will take to investigate. But I'm sure we're start hearing some rumblings and leaks once an operating theory is obtained, likely from the CVR and DFR data.

From what I've heard, the box they found was the CVR. So, the analyzing of that should be starting here in the next day or so, if it hasn't already.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:56 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Why would a sudden nose-dive cause everyone to pass out? I imagine some people fainted from fright, but there really isn't any physical reason from a plane going straight down to cause the passengers to lose consciousness.

G-Force. A rapid descend would create enough pressure on the body to prevent the heart from pumping blood to the brain. The result would be people passing out.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:55 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The fact that control was regained, albeit temporarily.. Nudges me towards this being an issue with the aircraft itself.

If it was a suicidal pilot.. Likely, he locks the other pilot out or otherwise incapacitates him. That's what we've seen in these cases before. So, unless he got cold feet when he saw the ground rapidly approaching, pulled out, and then said "well, i'm boned" and regrew a pair and then put it in the ground.. Which.. Just sounds preposterous..
….
Too early to surmise that “the control was regained”
Don’t want to go into too technical details - but the data you referring to was coming from the flight radar.

When the plane was going nose down at the rate it was - with some video capture to confirm it - that flight radar data is unreliable to make a certain conclusion of “control was regained”
On that video - stabilizer is not visible…

In addition, I could be wrong, but the Chinese still have a much larger crew on their planes - at least 4 pilots + an engineer unlike our flight crews of 2 pilots - easier to lock out or overcome in nefarious situations.

Agree with you - we shall see.
The Chinese are very prudent in their investigation - they are the ones who grounded Boing Max planes first - we wouldn’t do it in the US.

Could be anything - including a clear air turbulence encounter - which could tear off the vertical stabilizer- it happened to airplanes before with no chance of recovery.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 03-24-2022 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events