Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2022, 11:31 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Design flaw, maybe. But the attendants should have noticed that the chest piece wasn't sitting properly. We all noticed it by simply looking at the video. Maybe they weren't trained properly. Maybe they didn't care. Maybe they didn't notice, but should have. It was their job to notice. That's why they were being paid.
I think part of it may have been that Tyre looked older than 14 because of his size. The attendant may have thought that he was an adult or at least an older teenager and wasn't as careful with him as they might have been with a younger looking kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 11:57 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think part of it may have been that Tyre looked older than 14 because of his size. The attendant may have thought that he was an adult or at least an older teenager and wasn't as careful with him as they might have been with a younger looking kid.
His age shouldn't have mattered to them since he was over the ride weight limit (if it's true the ride manual has a weight limit), indicative of poor training if the attendants weren't aware of the manual instructions, or negligence if they did know. I disagree with the posters who say poor training had nothing to do with this accident, he should never have been seated due to his heavy weight.

Last edited by wp169; 04-01-2022 at 12:17 AM..

Old 04-01-2022, 01:08 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
You can keep saying that but as you can see most of us are going with the fact's. The attendants were poorly trained. It was a human error.
First of all you don't know what that training consisted of, and most are going on the assumption that the operators were supposed to manually check each and every harness to make sure it was secured between the riders legs (?!). That doesn't seem likely to me.
Second, what did the training consist of and what was the signing off about, was it a trainer or supervisor acknowledging attendance, or was there more to it, like employees signing that they understood the training or passed some sort of knowledge test? The video of the 'signed' training wasn't informative and even the 'expert' said that it was just generic forms, not specific to this ride.
Third, guessing at someone's weight on something like this is a near guarantee of errors being made. If that was a part of the operators duties then I put that squarely on the ride owner, not on some young person who probably couldn't come within thirty pounds of guessing the average person's weight, let alone on a kid of this size.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:36 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
First of all you don't know what that training consisted of, and most are going on the assumption that the operators were supposed to manually check each and every harness to make sure it was secured between the riders legs (?!). That doesn't seem likely to me.
Second, what did the training consist of and what was the signing off about, was it a trainer or supervisor acknowledging attendance, or was there more to it, like employees signing that they understood the training or passed some sort of knowledge test? The video of the 'signed' training wasn't informative and even the 'expert' said that it was just generic forms, not specific to this ride.
Third, guessing at someone's weight on something like this is a near guarantee of errors being made. If that was a part of the operators duties then I put that squarely on the ride owner, not on some young person who probably couldn't come within thirty pounds of guessing the average person's weight, let alone on a kid of this size.
He was rejected from every ride except this one because of his build, somebody dropped the ball at Drop Tower. Attendants can ask him what his weight is, they don't have to guess. I suppose after seeing his seat light on they falsely thought he was locked in safely.

Last edited by wp169; 04-01-2022 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-01-2022, 06:45 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
I don't have to know. The attendants are the ones that are supposed to be trained. SAFETY is one of the biggest things they should be trained on. In this case they were not trained properly, or they weren't paying attention. The attendants didn't need to know his weight, his SIZE alone, should have raised the first red flag. The first preventive measure should have been not letting him on the ride. Second should have been taking him off the ride after seeing the harness position. Third should have been listening to the riders instead of starting the ride. So many missed opportunities to prevent this death.

Here are all 177 pages for the ride. Safety and Staffing start on page 53.
https://www.wfla.com/wp-content/uplo...r-Manual-1.pdf

Old 04-01-2022, 07:20 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Yeah, you do have to know if you are trying to assign blame.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:26 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Yeah, you do have to know if you are trying to assign blame.
Let's start with a basic legal principle. An employer is responsible for acts of negligence committed by employees within the course and scope of their employment. It goes without saying that an employer (owner) is responsible for his/her own acts of negligence which would include training and hiring decisions.

Now, why don't you describe a situation for me where given the law the employer would not be responsible in some manner for this horrific accident.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:41 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
You can keep saying that but as you can see most of us are going with the fact's. The attendants were poorly trained. It was a human error.
I think it’s both. The restraint system is deeply flawed if it can lock and allow the ride to proceed when a rider isn’t protected by it.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, the attendants were poorly trained.

BUT THE HARNESS WAS LOCKED.

So it's irrelevant that the attendants were poorly trained.

I realize logic is hard!
He

Was

Severely

Oversized

And

Overweight.

Yes, it is absolutely relevant that the attendants were poorly trained. They should be TRAINED to turn away such patrons.

I realize logic is hard.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:43 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
They are supposed to protect adults too. Age shouldn’t have anything to do with it. Plus he was on a school trip with other kids not walking up by himself. The other ride operators told him he was too big to go on those rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events