Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2022, 06:50 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
So the inspections before opening don't check that the rides are operating per specs? Like restraints being set correctly? Isn't that what inspectors should do? Do inspections actually test the rides, and check every part of it? or do they just look at it?

Inspections did check the ride when it first opened. They then checked it after Tyre died. What I posted is what they found out. We also had video posted showing them opening and closing the harness after he died.

I guess the trainer did this "modification" to two seats before he left in February. Will be interesting to see if he gets charges since he's not even from the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 07:02 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I'm 6'5 and about 290. There are a lot of things I don't and can't do because of my size.

It would be a heart breaker to be 14 and not be able to enjoy all the fun things your buddies are out doing like Going to an amusement park and just watching from the sideline.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:31 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
According to the latest articles, the "operator" manually adjusted two seats. Is the "operator" the person operating the ride that day or is the "operator" the owner of the park?

Was the manual adjustment done that day or in the past? If it was in the past, were the two seats marked in some way that the operator knew which seats would hold a larger person?

Old 04-19-2022, 10:47 AM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
According to the latest articles, the "operator" manually adjusted two seats. Is the "operator" the person operating the ride that day or is the "operator" the owner of the park?

Was the manual adjustment done that day or in the past? If it was in the past, were the two seats marked in some way that the operator knew which seats would hold a larger person?

It sounds like the worker adjusted it manually specifically for him to fit:

"Fried said the report showed the operator of the park's FreeFall ride, the world's tallest free-standing drop tower at a height of 430 feet, "made manual adjustments to the ride resulting in it being unsafe."
The report by Quest Engineering & Failure Analysis, Inc., said manual manipulations were made to the seat Sampson was sitting in to allow the harness restraint opening to be loosened, apparently to accommodate the more than 300-pound teenager. Fried said the harness restraint opening was "almost double that of a normal restraint opening range."
Fried said the adjustment by the individual operator, who was not identified in the report, enabled the FreeFall's sensor lights to illuminate, "improperly satisfying" the ride's electronic safety mechanisms and enabling the ride to operate "even though Mr. Sampson was not properly secured in his seat."

https://digital.abcaudio.com/news/op...ment-park-ride

I don't understand why the ride was designed to allow an individual employee to adjust it to over-ride the sensor system. This is like the ride where the little girl died, because the workers over-rode the alarms going off telling them something was wrong. I still blame the designers as much as the operator. Such adjustments/overrides should not be possible. As well as the state for having posted weight/height restrictions be optional vs mandatory. I feel bad for the operator too, especially if he/she was a teen.

Here's what it says in the operator's manual for the ride:

"Be careful when seeing if large guests fit into the seats. Check that they fit within the contours of the seat and the bracket fits properly. If this is not so - Do not let this person ride," the manual reads (the bolded line is bolded in the manual)."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-f...-safety-expert

Old 04-19-2022, 10:52 AM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

It was adjusted by the workers on the ride that day, specifically for him to fit. I posted it above.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:58 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was adjusted by the workers on the ride that day, specifically for him to fit. I posted it above.
Thanks for the update, ocnjgirl.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:19 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Way off-topic: Am I the only one who reads her screen name as Orange Juice Girl?

Old 04-19-2022, 08:14 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Way off-topic: Am I the only one who reads her screen name as Orange Juice Girl?
No! And I sometimes get the name confused with another similar one! Inland in the west maybe?

Old 04-19-2022, 09:42 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:

Her user name is ocnjgirl, Ocean City NJ lol It's where she was born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It sounds like the worker adjusted it manually specifically for him to fit:

"Fried said the report showed the operator of the park's FreeFall ride, the world's tallest free-standing drop tower at a height of 430 feet, "made manual adjustments to the ride resulting in it being unsafe."
The report by Quest Engineering & Failure Analysis, Inc., said manual manipulations were made to the seat Sampson was sitting in to allow the harness restraint opening to be loosened, apparently to accommodate the more than 300-pound teenager. Fried said the harness restraint opening was "almost double that of a normal restraint opening range."
Fried said the adjustment by the individual operator, who was not identified in the report, enabled the FreeFall's sensor lights to illuminate, "improperly satisfying" the ride's electronic safety mechanisms and enabling the ride to operate "even though Mr. Sampson was not properly secured in his seat."

https://digital.abcaudio.com/news/op...ment-park-ride

I don't understand why the ride was designed to allow an individual employee to adjust it to over-ride the sensor system. This is like the ride where the little girl died, because the workers over-rode the alarms going off telling them something was wrong. I still blame the designers as much as the operator. Such adjustments/overrides should not be possible. As well as the state for having posted weight/height restrictions be optional vs mandatory. I feel bad for the operator too, especially if he/she was a teen.

Here's what it says in the operator's manual for the ride:

"Be careful when seeing if large guests fit into the seats. Check that they fit within the contours of the seat and the bracket fits properly. If this is not so - Do not let this person ride," the manual reads (the bolded line is bolded in the manual)."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-f...-safety-expert

That has to be one of the best articles I've seen so far. Apparently they had to people, one 6'3", another 6'5", one 200lbs with the other 300 which they used along with examining the ride, video from that day plus reenacting it using those 2 people.

It sure sounds like one of the employees did something to his harness to allow it to close in order for the all ok light to go on.

My gut when I first found this story was employee error just like the little Colorado girl.

I'm not convinced the employee originally did the seat, probably the person who trained them.

Operator error suspected in death of 14-year-old on Orlando amusement park ride

Quote:
Operator error is suspected as the primary cause in the death of a 14-year-old boy who slipped out of his seat on a drop-tower ride at a Florida amusement park and plunged to the pavement, officials said Monday.

Fried said the report showed the operator of the park's FreeFall ride, the world's tallest free-standing drop tower at a height of 430 feet, "made manual adjustments to the ride resulting in it being unsafe."

the adjustment by the individual operator, who was not identified in the report, enabled the FreeFall's sensor lights to illuminate, "improperly satisfying" the ride's electronic safety mechanisms and enabling the ride to operate "even though Mr. Sampson was not properly secured in his seat."

Sampson’s seat was adjusted before the ride started to an opening of 7.19 inches, the report found.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Not tell now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events