Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2022, 01:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I agree, they stopped before checking his for some.reason.

Those employees need some sort of punishment so this stops happening. Enough already of them missing it. I don't care how long they've been there unless its been days ago they were hired which I doubt

Pretty sure the employees are shaken and upset over this horrible thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 01:48 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The ride where the 6 year old drop ride death also has that but the newish employees knew how to over ride it manually.

Very possible they did the same. They mentioned "the light was on" what light would that be? The one to worm there was an issue?

We won't know the answer for months unless someone talksi ke an ex employee
I will be surprised if there weren’t cameras. I hope there were.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:12 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Even if Sampson had a death grip on the handles, it wouldn't prevent slipping through the open-bottom of the seat during a 70MPH plunge and fast breaking at the end of the ride. That would be like grabbing the dashboard to avoid being thrown through the windshield.

Id be surprised if that particular ride ever opened again.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:29 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Even if Sampson had a death grip on the handles, it wouldn't prevent slipping through the open-bottom of the seat during a 70MPH plunge and fast breaking at the end of the ride. That would be like grabbing the dashboard to avoid being thrown through the windshield.

Id be surprised if that particular ride ever opened again.
I think it drops at 75mph. I go on those type of rides every chance I get and just about all of them take a photo at that highest or scariest point to sell to you. I wonder if that ride did.

I think it will reopen. The ride at kings dominion did.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:59 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I think it drops at 75mph. I go on those type of rides every chance I get and just about all of them take a photo at that highest or scariest point to sell to you. I wonder if that ride did.

They take pictures. I've been on their slingshot and vomatron rides, and I have seen the Arch/MEP schematics for this drop tower, which include a photo kiosk.

I also think it will reopen. Just with obvious more meticulous checks and precautions.

The manufacturer has a LONG LIST of rides, worldwide, with a near-perfect track record, including several drop towers just like this one. Granted, I am quite certain that there will be a belt and buckle of some sort added to the restraints before long, as well as newly-enforced height, size and weight requirements enforced. I see those in other parks, where there is a sample seat at the entrance to the queue to confirm a proper fit in the seat. I cannot recall if ICON has these... I don't think they do, but I assume they will add those.
It's still a relatively new park... But I highly doubt this multi-million dollar operation will shut down as a result of this. A tragic accident for sure, but one that could be prevented given the correct safety protocols.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
They take pictures. I've been on their slingshot and vomatron rides, and I have seen the Arch/MEP schematics for this drop tower, which include a photo kiosk.

I also think it will reopen. Just with obvious more meticulous checks and precautions.

The manufacturer has a LONG LIST of rides, worldwide, with a near-perfect track record, including several drop towers just like this one. Granted, I am quite certain that there will be a belt and buckle of some sort added to the restraints before long, as well as newly-enforced height, size and weight requirements enforced. I see those in other parks, where there is a sample seat at the entrance to the queue to confirm a proper fit in the seat. I cannot recall if ICON has these... I don't think they do, but I assume they will add those.
It's still a relatively new park... But I highly doubt this multi-million dollar operation will shut down as a result of this. A tragic accident for sure, but one that could be prevented given the correct safety protocols.
You two are probably correct. Sadly, the death will make the ride more popular with thrill seekers.

I would never go on a ride like this. Even when I was a kid I preferred the bumper cars and merry-go-round. No rollercoasters! Went once. Hated it. Never went again.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:53 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,626,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
You two are probably correct. Sadly, the death will make the ride more popular with thrill seekers.

I would never go on a ride like this. Even when I was a kid I preferred the bumper cars and merry-go-round. No rollercoasters! Went once. Hated it. Never went again.
I seldom went on the rides at carnivals when I was a kid, not that I was afraid but because I always had to have something to show for my money when the day was over.
That's why I made a killing at the shooting galleries and all the booths that had throwing skills. I was eventually banned from one of the booths because I picked them clean of all their good prizes.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:01 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I thought I read on here that the kid checked it himself, and it was locked. So it wouldn't have mattered if the attendant had checked it, because he also would have found that it was locked! The kid slipped out the bottom of it regardless!!! Design flaw.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:08 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I thought I read on here that the kid checked it himself, and it was locked. So it wouldn't have mattered if the attendant had checked it, because he also would have found that it was locked! The kid slipped out the bottom of it regardless!!! Design flaw.
Oversized for the restraint, more like, which is operator error and negligence. The restraint could not go down as it is supposed to.
The design is such that the bottom part of the top restrain meets the top of the seat between the legs. The kid was too big/tall/wide for it to come down, as seen in the pictures.
He should not have been allowed on the ride. He was clearly too big for it.

It's not really a design flaw if it is effective when used as intended. In this case, it looks like it was not.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:15 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Oversized for the restraint, more like, which is operator error and negligence. The restraint could not go down as it is supposed to.
And yet it LOCKED and the ride was able to proceed as normal.

Design flaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events