Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2022, 01:15 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

The article also said the ride operators don't work for Icon Park, they work for the owner of the ride. The park owner said to think of the park as a landlord, and the rides are separate entities owned by various companies who rent space there and hire their own people. Maybe that needs to be looked at.
How? ICON is an entertainment complex. Think of it as a mini-district. There is no entry fee, and there are multiple entities on the property. ICON can't just suddenly own every building. There are restaurants, hotels, an aquarium, etc. there. It's not a theme park.

One thing I read that I found absolutely ridiculous, however, was that a crowd formed in front of the ride to "protest," saying they never want it to reopen, and so on and so forth. What will this accomplish exactly? If anything, when it reopens, after additional safety measures are put into place, it will probably be the safest drop tower in the world.
What will taking the ride down accomplish exactly?

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised, considering this brain-dead generation likes to protest for everything just for the sake of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 05:09 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
How? ICON is an entertainment complex. Think of it as a mini-district. There is no entry fee, and there are multiple entities on the property. ICON can't just suddenly own every building. There are restaurants, hotels, an aquarium, etc. there. It's not a theme park.

One thing I read that I found absolutely ridiculous, however, was that a crowd formed in front of the ride to "protest," saying they never want it to reopen, and so on and so forth. What will this accomplish exactly? If anything, when it reopens, after additional safety measures are put into place, it will probably be the safest drop tower in the world.
What will taking the ride down accomplish exactly?

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised, considering this brain-dead generation likes to protest for everything just for the sake of it.
I thought it was a theme park.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:44 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,248 times
So kind of interesting. The attendants were only trained on one day. The ride opened the end of December but the attendants that didn't check his harness were trained on one day just 4 or 5 weeks before the incident. They also were probably only part time workers due to their ages so probably "trained" in just a few hours/first day of work.

Quote:
Ride safety expert: Orlando FreeFall operators completed (t)raining in 1 day
https://youtu.be/fUvufYjZ5eo

Old 03-31-2022, 07:59 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Again...it doesn't matter. The lack of training or absence of "checking" didn't cause this accident. A design flaw with allowed the harness/brace to lock and therefore the ride to proceed DESPITE, unbeknowst to everyone, the fact that the rider was not fully protected by the locked harness is what caused it. But now they know!

Old 03-31-2022, 08:18 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again...it doesn't matter. The lack of training or absence of "checking" didn't cause this accident. A design flaw with allowed the harness/brace to lock and therefore the ride to proceed DESPITE, unbeknowst to everyone, the fact that the rider was not fully protected by the locked harness is what caused it. But now they know!
You can keep saying that but as you can see most of us are going with the fact's. The attendants were poorly trained. It was a human error.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:28 PM

Yes, the attendants were poorly trained.

BUT THE HARNESS WAS LOCKED.

So it's irrelevant that the attendants were poorly trained.

I realize logic is hard!

Old 03-31-2022, 08:38 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:

I realize logic is hard!
I agree that they can't pin this on the ride attendant. There does appear to be a design flaw of some sort.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:

I realize logic is hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I agree that they can't pin this on the ride attendant. There does appear to be a design flaw of some sort.
Design flaw, maybe. But the attendants should have noticed that the chest piece wasn't sitting properly. We all noticed it by simply looking at the video. Maybe they weren't trained properly. Maybe they didn't care. Maybe they didn't notice, but should have. It was their job to notice. That's why they were being paid.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Design flaw, maybe. But the attendants should have noticed that the chest piece wasn't sitting properly. We all noticed it by simply looking at the video. Maybe they weren't trained properly. Maybe they didn't care. Maybe they didn't notice, but should have. It was their job to notice. That's why they were being paid.
NO ONE anticipated that the harness not fitting quite right (I'm sure he wasn't the first "big and tall" guy to ever ride this ride), yet LOCKING, would be a problem. Until it was.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:09 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
NO ONE anticipated that the harness not fitting quite right (I'm sure he wasn't the first "big and tall" guy to ever ride this ride), yet LOCKING, would be a problem. Until it was.
It SHOULD have been anticipated. If not by the employees than by someone who instructed them. My other thought is that if more mature employees had been hired they might have been quicker to perceive this particular problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events